Mother's Tea Wagon Cookies

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Mother's Tea Wagon Cookies

English Tea Cakes (or Mother's Tea Wagon Cookies) INGREDIENTS Dough: - 1 cup white sugar - 1 stick butter softened - 2 egg yolks - 1½ cups all-purpose flour - 1 teaspoon baking powder - ¼ teaspoon salt - 1 teaspoon vanilla Meringue: - 2 egg whites - 1 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar - 1½ cup chopped pecans

BAKING INSTRUCTIONS - Preheat oven to 300 degrees.

Dough instructions: - Beat egg yolks with a whisk or fork in a small bowl and set aside. - Cream butter and white sugar at medium speed in an electric mixer. - Add vanilla and eggs. Beat until thoroughly mixed. - Hand mix flour, baking powder and salt in a separate bowl or 2-cup measuring cup. Gradually add these to butter, sugar, egg mixture on the lowest speed until blended. - Spread dough in a greased 9 by 13-inch pan. Grease pan either with butter and flour or cooking spray.

Meringue instructions: - Beat egg whites on mixer's highest speed until stiff peaks form. - On the lowest speed, gradually add the dark brown sugar until well mixed. - Spread the meringue on top of the dough. Top with chopped pecans. - Bake at 300 degrees for 30 minutes. - Cut into squares while hot but leave in the pan to cool.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
This sounds like it would convert to gluten free without any problems. I've printed off the recipe. TFS

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Great Recipe

Made these today. They are excellent. I will need to adjust the recipe since I convert to gluten free flour. I either need to adjust the flour amount or bake less since I use a glass pan. I will be making them again.