My Elf Journal

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
For years now I've been keeping some tidbits of our elf adventures and visits and planning to journal it better every year. One year I even made an alrtered notebook journal (which didn't work out too well because the pages where too thin...but the cover sure was cute. So it sat in my office with random letters and notes fromn the elves and copies of a few pictures crammed into it. About two years ago I bought a little scrapbook at the flea market. I at one point took the cover off the old notebook I had altered and added it to this scrapbook. What was my HANG UP with creating this fun little project? Mostly because I knew there were other random letters, notes, and pics that needed to be gathered....oh yes sometimes the office is a hodge podge with little goodies stuck here and there...(SIGH) Mostly because I wanted to get it perfect....ugh.

Well the other night Evan pulled the little scrapbook out with the crump[led notes etc and started looking through it....and I thought....you know what I might as well get into the book what I do have and add things if I find them later....because having SOME things documneted and in the book for Evan to look at is better than nothing! We started the elves in 2006 when Evan was a new born baby....why let my quest for perfect pervent ANY THING from being put in the book.....sooooooo......I've completed what I have for 2006-2007-2008 and I'm working on 2009.....I'm leaveing a few blank spaces and pages to add in those pics (when I print them) and the other tidbits I might find....

Here's the Title Page. It uses the old altered journal cover!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Here's the little write up page I wrote from WAY BACK in 2006 when we first started. ...

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Here's one of the double pages from 2007. I've actually added some stuff to the Evan and Professor Sugar Plum page (the pic page) since I took this picture!! But you can get the general idea....

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Here's a better close up of the page with added stuff.

Evan has been helping me add stickers and things to the pages and he really enjoys it. The journal is all about having a "history" of the elves and our family...so I feel good about getting something done with it instead of it just sitting there. Evan LOVED hearing me read the entry from when he was a newborn!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
This page is not finished as you can see....I will add some pictures and I want to print the elves names (and Evan and Kesley's) and put them above each of the stockings. It does however include the letter from Santa about the elves and one of the notes they wrote that year!!

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Pages from 2008......will add more to these later....

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
My goal is to do 2009 and 2010 before THANKSGIVING and then I can just add 2011 AFTER Christmas....the book isn't perfect. There were many more notes than the ones I have located (some probably even got pitched)...but I needed to move beyond thinking I needed EVERYTHING or I could not do this project....and EVAN still loves it...even with the blank spaces that I'll fill in when I print pictures and find other notes and elf stuff.

One of the years 2008....we actually lost all our pictures in a computer crash....but I'll just snap a pic of the three elves we had that year....lol...who will ever know!! I have a bunch from the first year 2006....when he was tiny...so I left two blank poages to add those when I print them!!

ONE THING I did learn.....DATE the Santa Letter and ELF NOTES.....I had to try to figure out which year each was from by what the note said....LOL.....Ben didn't join our elf family till 2009.....and we have a few more items from those years so...It's ALL good....

I encourage you...if you have a project like this....STOP waiting for PERFECT....and just do something with it. I can see already this will be a book Evan treasures!!

:clothes:

Last edited:

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Ginger - your scrapbook is wonderful! What a lovely keepsake for you and Evan to enjoy together! think of it as a fun work in progress!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
You will be remembered each and every time this book is fondly looked at for many generations.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
How fun and it looks great. I have been looking for an excuse to do another smash book type thing and this would be a great way to do that.

bralene

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2011
when I started doing the elfs for the children in my live 10 years ago i did little photo books the kids could take with them , i find it hard to believe that a 19 year old boy still has it , takes it out and shows people , still talks about coming to my house for a christmas visit and how fun it was , overheard last christmas the two older boys telling the 11 year old that if he dont believe thats ok but dont tell me and spoil the magic ,

Mouse2

Retire Member
Jun 29, 2011
London, United Kingdom
when I started doing the elfs for the children in my live 10 years ago i did little photo books the kids could take with them , i find it hard to believe that a 19 year old boy still has it , takes it out and shows people , still talks about coming to my house for a christmas visit and how fun it was , overheard last christmas the two older boys telling the 11 year old that if he dont believe thats ok but dont tell me and spoil the magic ,
AAHHHH. That is so beautiful. They really love you and Christmas!!!