Need ideas please

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Ok Ladies.. I need some more ideas. My son is doing Marching band this year and I just got the schedule for this fall. Every weekend in Sept, Oct and half of Nov there is a football game either Friday night or Saturday morning and on most of those weekends there is a competition on another day during the weekend that is at least an hour or longer away. The football games I am not to worried about as we will be close enough to home to eat before or after the games but it's the competitions I am worried about.... we can't afford to eat out at everyone one of them so I need I need ideas of food I can take along with us.

I figured sandwiches or cold fried chicken in Sept when it's still warm but in Oct and especially Nov when it's cold I want to pack warmer things to eat. Was thinking about buying a larger thermos for:
meatballs
taco meat for walking tacos
sloppy joe for sandwiches although this could be too messy

I need more ideas of hot foods that I can pack that will stay warm for few hours. Plan on placing the thermos in a thermal tote with hot packs. The kids have the small thermos' they use for their school lunches that I can use too.

Thanks ....

Reactions: mummytummy

mummytummy

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Perth WA

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Do you have a camp stove? Or a small portable grill? Or, if there is power at the event location, carry a long extension cord and a single burner hot plate or a maybe pick up a single-burner propane hot plate (WalMart has them for about $20 + the small bottles of propane). That would help with reheating make-ahead soups or stews, or cooking on-site (hamburgers, hot dogs, grilled cheese ...). You could also prepare something ahead of time in a crock pot, and place the hot crock-pot in a cooler (wrapped in towels to keep heat in and protect from spills). Would be good for taking spaghetti, chilli, stews, or any number of more hearty meals along. The thick crockery will stay warmer than a regular pan would. You'd just want to make sure the meal was piping hot before loading it into the cooler for transport. Hope these ideas will help keep the thermoses available for coffee and hot chocolate on those chilly evenings!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I have separate drink thermoses for hot chocolate and coffee. The competitions will take place at various school football fields with no access to power and they do not allow grilling of any type in their parking lots which is why I want to use the thermoses. The kids each have a 12 oz personal food thermos but I plan on buying a larger 48 oz family size one.

Reactions: mummytummy

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Pigs in a Blanket-hot dogs for the kids, brats or Italian sausages for the rest
Hot Subs
Hot roast beef or ham wrapped in foil baked
Kabobs or anything on a stick
Baked potatoes then pour hot toppings from a thermos into a bowl- smash the potato while still in foil instead of needing to cut them up
Tomato soup-use a straw and have grilled ham and cheese sandwiches or a small cheeseburgers
Nachos
Crescent rolls rolled up with hamburger mixture and cheese inside
Taco if you mix the hamburger in with refried beans to hold it together
Pepperoni Bread
Cheesy Taco Sticks-made with pizza dough
https://www.pinterestfood.club/2019/01/the-most-amazing-cheesy-taco-sticks.html?m=1

Egg rolls

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
We've warmed up the following foods and then put them in an individual Thermos: meatballs, hot dogs, macaroni and cheese, buttered pasta, taco meat with beans and soup.

We pre-heat the Thermos by pouring hot water into the Thermos and letting it stay in there for a few minutes before emptying. It does keep the food warm enough for us.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I think it wise to take food both from a monetary point of view and also time. Nothing worse than trying to find somewhere to eat when you are cold and tired.
Thick hearty soup with a side of croutons would work.
I agree with taco mince in the thermos you could serve it with corn chips on the side.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
On the subject of taco meat, take the snack bag size Fritos and drop in taco meat and toppings and it makes a taco in a bag meal. I Googled fritos tacos in a bag and there are a lot of recipes out there.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
A "cooler" can be used to keep foods hot, just as it can be used to keep foods cold. Fill it about half full of hot water to get it hot, dump it out, add the hot food to it. It will keep it hot for hours if it isn't opened.

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
On the subject of taco meat, take the snack bag size Fritos and drop in taco meat and toppings and it makes a taco in a bag meal. I Googled fritos tacos in a bag and there are a lot of recipes out there.
I should say, don't premake them or they will be soggy! Just take along the bags of Fritos and toppings in individual containers and everyone can make their own.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jane, let us know what you decide on. I would be interested to see what works as I would like to try and transport hot meals for when we travel to the farm which is about 3 hours from us.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Ok Ladies.. I need some more ideas. My son is doing Marching band this year and I just got the schedule for this fall. Every weekend in Sept, Oct and half of Nov there is a football game either Friday night or Saturday morning and on most of those weekends there is a competition on another day during the weekend that is at least an hour or longer away. The football games I am not to worried about as we will be close enough to home to eat before or after the games but it's the competitions I am worried about.... we can't afford to eat out at everyone one of them so I need I need ideas of food I can take along with us.

Minta, what foods are working out for you and your family?

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta, what foods are working out for you and your family?
Cold Chicken, ham and cheese sandwiches, Mac and cheese (heated up really hot and placed in single serve thermoses , thermoses of hot chocolate, cookies, granola bars, chips. I have 2 thermo lined bags .. one Huge family size and a one a little smaller.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I was thinking about this a few days back. Glad that things are working for you.