New home decorations.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We moved in to a new house in May and I was in a bit if a fix about how to decorate. The tree is looking much better because we have a big picture window at the front of the house and the tree sits there perfectly. As for the rest of the decor, the house looks much less decorated as it is bigger than the old house and things are more spread out. It looks nicer, but not as festive. (make sense)?
I have not added any new decorations this year because I am happy with what we have.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Could you just string some lights around in the empty spaces? Of course not everything needs to be decorated. Enjoy your new place.

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
Congrats on your new home as I have moved into a new home as well I went with an old Victorian feel holiday as my home is Victorian.:fireplace:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I agree with Diedra... a few lights here and there will make all the difference

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
When we moved into our new home I went around the house and took pictures of my decor. It was so much easier to see what I needed when I looked at the photos and then I shopped for those specific things at holiday clearance. The biggest thing that I remember striking me was how little impact a bunch of "small" items made in a larger space. I then purged all my little items and purchased larger "single" items. Lucky you for having that window. I was just noticing a neighbors window a couple days ago and how nice the tree centered in the middle of it. Our house doesn't have that kind of window so I have to admire others. :)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I like the idea of taking the photos. I could do this on my phone so I'd always have it with me. Thanks.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Taking photos is a really good idea. There are a few places that I can really go mad with decorating, I shall take photos and see what I can come up with.

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
When we moved into our new home I went around the house and took pictures of my decor. It was so much easier to see what I needed when I looked at the photos and then I shopped for those specific things at holiday clearance. The biggest thing that I remember striking me was how little impact a bunch of "small" items made in a larger space. I then purged all my little items and purchased larger "single" items. :)

This is so true, having moved quite a bit in these last seven years, I have learned to do just that even for my regular decor. You can see so much better in a picture what is needed and what is to small and of no consequence in the big picture of decor that is.

~ Farmerswife

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
That's a great idea!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I had never thought of doing that.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Having pictures is a great way to remember how you decorated. After getting my apartment completely renovated, I use the pictures I had taken the year before to help me with re-decorating. I had lost some space like the shelved wall that seperated my kitchen and dining room (which is where I always displayed my Christmas village). Looking at the pictures helped me to re-stratergize where I wanted my decorations to be for the new year.

alarson566

Retire Member
Oct 17, 2014
That is a great idea! My problem, for the past few years, has been that our chimney is broken. So while I really love decorating the hearth it always makes me sad in the evening to not have a fire going (it would be dangerous because out chimney lining isn't healthy). Last week though I got an electric fireplace! It's so wonderful and easy and makes me finally happy to be in the living room at night. I would take a picture but I don't have a workign camera. Maybe santa will bring me that too! who knows..

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
alarson, how great that you're going to have a working fire place! Now you can sit happily and look at your lovely decorated mantle.

BTW, Welcome! Glad to see you've jumped in on the posts.