New Year Cleaning Plan-Week 4 Kitchen/Pantry

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Okay, so how many of you beautiful friends are still following the New Year Cleaning Plan? This week is the kitchen and pantry. To follow along here is the link below.

http://organizedhome.com/cleaning-grand-plan/kitchen-pantry

My kitchen has been in chaos since last October when DH tried to cram a restaurant kitchen into my residential kitchen. It doesn't work!

I finally did exactly what the plan suggested and started emptying cabinets All of my upper cabinets, pantry, appliance cabinets, trash/recycling closet and lower cabinets are decluttered, clean and organized. I also cleaned my coffee pot with vinegar and my trashcan Whew, I've been at it for hours up and down on a ladder and my knee is letting me know it. I even have a stack of dishes, pans and such to go out to goodwill tomorrow.

Now I am nowhere near finished but todays marathon session certainly got me motivated now that the hardest part is out of the way. So here's my plans for the rest of the week.

Monday:
[ ] Clean out remaining drawers
[ ] Straighten medicine cabinet

Tuesday:
[x] Wash down all cabinet & drawer fronts & the top of the cabinets
[ ] Clean major appliances inside and out.
[ ] Install bar to hold trash bag rolls

Wednesday:
[ ] Work on recipe binder
[ ] Decorate cabinet tops

Thursday:
[ ] Clean ceiling, walls & floor (reseal grout)

Friday-Saturday:
[ ] Work on recipe binder (I am married to an Executive Chef so it's a lot)

Last edited:

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Am not following the plan but will be continuing with the decluttering... mostly papers this week again. DH is painting my bedroom closet today so will purge it while I put stuff back in there.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Oh no, this is the week I'm dreading. My kitchen is big with cabinets from floor to ceiling. I did clean the pantry last week, so at least that's a start. It's all those darn specialty appliances....waffle makers, cotton candy makers, ice cream makers, etc. that take up so much room and don't really get used all that much.
I'm going to start with cleaning the table cloth and sorting out my spice/miscellaneous cabinet. I would do my floors, but I want to bake some bread in case the storm hits, and when the girls help me bake bread there is flour from one side of the room to the other!

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
Frosty, I know what you mean about a lot of cabinets and specialty appliances occupying so much room. I can't move my arms today as I scrubbed 28 cabinets as well as the pantry/recycling closets. I don't know if I'll get the two remaining drawers decluttered with arms hurting so much today but maybe after a couple of Aleve's. LOL

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Im in from next week. When DS goes back to school. The house is pretty much always clean (I have an amazing cleaning lady/ House Angel we call her!) but somehow clutter has started to build up again over the Summer holidays! I want to try to keep on top of it this year!

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I have to be honest - I only made my kitchen worse yesterday. I made bread and muffins. I don't know where all of the hours of the day go!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
THE KITCHEN!!!!!! OK!!!!!
Yesterday…. I cleaned a high cabinet and the top of the refrigerator! (They were BAD!) AND… I cleared out one corner shelf inside a cabinet.
NOW…. I am going in…. to see what I can do about clearing off the countertops!!!!!!

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
There seems to be areas in every room that tend to get overlooked even when we try to do such a thorough job. In the kitchen these are a few items that I've added to my kitchen deep clean that always gets left out.

1. Replace ice/water filter in refrigerator. (Fall & Spring Cleaning)
2. Clean drains thoroughly with baking soda, vinegar & boiling water.
3. Run citric acid or dishwasher cleaner through a cycle-clean filter screens in the bottom of the dishwasher.
4. Put overhead vent filters through a cycle in the dishwasher.
5. Take apart and clean the screen inside the faucet head.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
For me…. clearing EVERYTHING off… the small counter, next to the kitchen sink….. made a huge difference! There are only two (small) counters in my kitchen. However…. having one counter - completely clear -- makes the kitchen look much more peaceful and beautiful. AND… makes the kitchen much more functional!!!!

Getting things OUT of the kitchen…. helps so much!!! "Stuff" keeps coming into the kitchen -- as long as we keep on eating food when we are at home. CLEARING THINGS OUT -- CONTINUALLY -- KEEPS THINGS FRESH AND USEFUL!!! NOW THAT I HAVE HAD A NICE VISIT -- HERE AT OUR MAGICAL HOLIDAY HOME -- I AM GOING TO GO INTO THE KITCHEN AND DO A QUICK CLEARING OF "PAST-FRESH ITEMS"!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Watch out! Decluttering an area clear is very contagious.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I find the kitchen the hardest place to clean and keep decluttered. My kids are at the stage where I'm just trying to keep everything dangerous up high. DD1 empties everything she can reach out of every cabinet and off of every shelf, tearing open boxes as she goes.
I'm going to try to clean out my fridge today and organize my spices and small baking supplies.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Cleaning

I think we all stopped in January! LOL