New Year's Eve ...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
Hi all,

Just wondering what everyone has planned for New Year's Eve.

**We will have a small drinks party with lovely little morsels on-a-stick, chilled shrimp and such. We will light a blazing fire and serve old-fashions & lots of bubbly, and illuminate our home with candlelight.
**We keep our Christmas decorations up until January 6th, but I will make a few changes for the New Year's celebration. I will change the centerpiece in our main dining room to a white pedestal cake stand, and top it with champagne flutes & glasses filled with small pink ornaments (reminiscent of pink champagne bubbles). I will finish the display with a few inverted silver party horns, and sprinkle a bit of silver star confetti over all.
**I have set the buffet with crystal glasses & luncheon plates, linen napkins, and sterling flatware. I have placed a mirror on the center of the table, with a crystal bowl filled with holly & white roses, and have placed votives on the mirror, for added sparkle.
**I have covered our front-hall table with an ivory-colored lace cloth, upon which I have placed a large silver platter, topped with all of our vintage clocks, set to ring at midnight.

I wish you all much happiness & good fortune in the New Year ...

Gidget-

Last edited:

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Sounds like a great party!

It'll just be us and the kids tomorrow night but i'm making mini pigs in blankets, bbq chicken bacon bites, nachos, veggies and dip, cheese/crackers/summer sausage and peanut butter pie. I picked up some sparkling cherry juice for the kids.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
NY's Eve is the night I receive both families (mine & dh's), so that's the big night for me.

Supper will be Tourtière with salad, veggie juice & saltines, cranberry sauce, and for dessert a cake for MIL because it is her birthday the 31st.

In the evening we will play games (I hope) and some small gifts for the winners (the kids each have one nevertheless), chat and visit together. Then we have a buffet in the evening.
- Chicken wings, veggies & dip, fruit plate, dessert plate, cheese & crackers, ham sandwiches, chicken salad rolls, deviled eggs, pätés & crackers, a quinoa salad, bacon-wrapped sausages, pizza bagels, mini-antipasti kabobs (or a plate of antipasti).

We used to go on a horse-sleigh ride but the man who did this sold his horses :( so that is no longer an option.

It's Christmas decorations for me too, but I'm thinking next year to add some sparkle. Love your ideas Gidget

Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
NYE the last few years has been more of a quiet affair.

Usually spent at my brother's or my dear friend since the age of 10.

This year I was invited to the annual New Year's Eve party that some friends at church hold. Have heard much about this party over the years so I think that's what I will be doing.

We usually do a New Year's Day meal at my parents.

We are having that meal this evening as it is my sister's last night here.

I try to make it lighter fare because we are so full of heavy foods.

Tonight's menu will be:

* Baked tilapia with a parmeson crust topping
* Rice Pilaf
* Black eyed pea salad- black eyed peas, diced red pepper, diced purple onion in a vinagerette dressing, salt and pepper to taste. Allow time for flavors to marinate. This is delicious and those that don't like black eyed peas tend to enjoy this dish.

The foods represent:
Rice- Good fortune in the coming year
Black Eyed peas- Good luck in the coming year

Annie

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I forgot to add that I'm going to a NYE Watchnight service at church before the festivities.

I went to one years ago and it was really cool. We all put our wishes and dreams for the new year into a bowl and the pastor said a prayer over them.
Our church hasn't had one in a few years but is having one this year.

Annie

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
we are usually very boring and do nothing. DH doens't like to be out and the boys usually fall asleep before 12. In the past I had to work and picked up Chinese but we had it for lunch Christmas eve so not sure what the plan is now. We will be at m parents during the day for Christmas with them and my Bro and his family.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
We are such party animals. We generally fall asleep around 10 pm. Lol.

I do have a bottle of sparkling wine chilled. Maybe we'll have that.

On New Year's Day we'll have pork loin, black eyed peas, cabbage slaw and cornbread.:

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
On New Year's Eve we're going to a hockey game (imagine that! ;0) with a few of the families from ds's hockey team. It's a tradition in our town, that is being revived after 2 years of no pro hockey in our town. Then we'll come home and probably have some snacks and watch a movie until the ball drop, if we make it that late.

On New Year's Day, we'll have pork and kraut at my mom's for dinner.

~peace~
Lisa

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Nothing planned for us. We'll probably just watch the ball drop and go to bed. We may have had something if I weren't sick. Normally, we do some fireworks.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
No idea what we will be doing, this is our first NYE here and there is something going on at the pier but I think we may just stay home. My daughter is here with us and our old neighbor's granddaughter so I want to make sure we at least have a few things planned for staying in so we aren't bored.

If it were up to me, I'd be putting this year to rest around 8:30 and calling it a night! lol

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
We have stayed home for several years now. Tom. night we are fixing lobster, steak, crab legs, baked potatoes and salad. My daughter and SIL are planning on coming.

Gidget your decorations sound very pretty! Love the clocks!

We brought 4 bottles of wine for Christmas Eve and didn't open any. (had 18 here then--well 4 where kids) Jaymee and Ryan will eat and leave I would think to go somewhere with friends.

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
Everyone's plans sound wonderful.

Lana - your planned dinner sounds festive & delicious.

Joy to you all!

Gidget-

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We traditionally have a Chinese take out meal and watch a movie or two. We are not party people and we don't like being out on the roads. Tonight we will go to my mums for the Chinese as she is still recovering from her accident last week and finds it hard to drive.

Gidget....your party decorations sound really nice.

Hope everyone has a great night

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
nothing much dinner and watch a movie. i have to get up at 4-30 in the morning to go to work. i will remember this past year and hope for a healthy and happy newyear for everyone.

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
We also will be staying in tonight. We will go to Mass, out to dinner and home to relax and watch a movie. that sounds like the perfect evening to us! Happy New Year everyone!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Our plans have changed. DD20 is leaving tomorrow on a 4 day trip. She needs some things she left here at home, so we will be taking those things to her after she gets off work tonight. We'll stay and visit a while, then come back home. It will be near midnight when we get home.

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
I have decorated a little bit for New Year's Eve and we had a festive dinner. Now DS is already sleeping and DD will go to bed soon (hopefully ;-)).
Then DH and I will sit together, talk, watch TV and wait until midnight for watching the fireworks around us. Afterwards we go to bed as our kids will wake up early in the morning.

We wish you all the best for 2013.

Chilli