No Bonfire Night????

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

HotMama

MHH Member
Oct 31, 2007
I am now getting ready for an old English tradition called Bonfire/Guy Fawlkes Night, which takes place on 5th Nov. This is an old tradition that goes back to when Guy Fawlkes tried to bomb the Houses of Parliment.

Every year on the 5th, local councils set up massive firework displays and stalls and local celebrities to host Bonfire Night, we eat hotdogs in buns and beefburgers with onions and tomato sauce, chips, roasted marshmallows and we all gather around a large bonfire, which has been gathered together for weeks.

Its such a lovely tradition here in the uk. We lookforward to letting off fireworks and seeing our neighbours. I assume that this doesn't happen in the USA?. I would probably say that this is the last tradtion that everyone becomes involved in before the great Christmas one.

This year for the very first time I would like to host my very first Thanksgiving with all your wonderful help. If you could tell me what traditions I need to adhere to , to make it traditional, I would really appreciate it. I think it would be wonderful for my family to give special thanks for all the fantastic joys we have in our lives.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
Hi HotMaMa! Check out this thread about bonfire night-
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=265
If things are dry here we may have one! Also you can check out the seasonal children's booklist for a bit of bonfire night stuff. We don't really celebrate it here(nova Scotia)but I understand they do in Newfoundland. It sounds like alot of fun!

I love learning more about traditions in other countries. Thanks for sharing that with us. It sounds like good ole historical fun. I would suggest checking out the Thanksgiving Planner section of the forums for great menu ideas for Traditional US Thanksgiving. Turkey, stuffing(dressing as some call it), gravy, mashed and sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, and veggies are the main meal and then LOTS of family favorite desserts follow after. Most of the desserts are PIES!!!Pumpkin, apple, blueberry, cherry, Italian cheesepie, sweet potato, etc.... I'm getting hungry and excited just thinking about it!!!

HotMama,
Bonfire night sounds like a wonderful tradition. I love a bonfire and had them a few times a year until we moved into a neighborhood where fires are only permitted certain times.
Do you make mountain pies at your bonfire? If not, you should give it a try this year. You use a pie iron made especially for fires or a fireplace. Using 2 pieces of bread you can put your choice of things between the bread, like cherry, apple, peach, blueberry, or blackberry pie filling. You can also use sauce and cheese and make a pizza. I was raised with mountain pies and have them at every bonfire I get a chance to attend.