No Money? No Worries! Check Out Gift Ideas Here!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Thanks for posting the recipe, Pam!

I'm getting so many ideas from all of you. I appreciate everyone's comments!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
Oranges, I did the sock gift with my girlfriend last year and she thought it was the coolest thing. Took me a whole year to collect those decorative socks, but she's a sock fanatic.

snickerdoodle

Retire Member
Dec 31, 2009
I did the same thing one year with towels. I bought towels for every holiday as they came around when they went on sale and assembled a basket. They were very well received. I also made bread cloths for each holiday and added them to a bread basket. Also if you have a man on your list who wears ties you can also find seasonal ties which are fun to look for. And of course finding them after the holiday at a deep discount is a lot of fun.

Mackiesmudder

Premiere Member
May 21, 2010
Hackettstown, NJ
If you have the time (and the stores in your area), you can actually assemble a pampering basket for very little outlay of money. I have been doing this a few months now at Walgreens drug store. They give register rewards with some purchases so you need to read the store flyer ahead of time and plan from there. For example, last month, they had a deal going on, buy 3 neutrogena soaps (My DD loves for her face) and get a $10 register reward. They were on sale for $2.39 each so my cost was $7.17 plus tax and i got a $10 reward to use on next purchase. I actually did this several times, sep. or you won't get the RR. The next week I used the $10 on other items that gave back a RR, so I basically rolled them over. You have to read the reward so that you don't buy the same product again with the RR or it won't roll again. Today I stopped in to use a $2 RR that was expiring today and got a toothpaste that was $2.99, used the RR, paid $1.20 but got another $2 back. I am looking foward to seeing next weeks flyer to see what they have going on. I have lots of razors, soaps, deodorants, toothbrushes, toothpaste, hair clips, expensive bodywashes, etc. all stockpiled to give. My DD loves this particular gift as she doesn't have to buy anything or months! CVS does the same type of thing. It does take some work as I do combine with coupons for more savings, but it is so worth it. Ahhh, the thrill of the deal, LOL.
Cathie

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Cathie, what a great idea. As you said a lot of work to get it going but a great gift in the end.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Cathie - This is an excellent suggestion. And if you put a little more work into it and play the game you really can get a ton of stocking suffer/basket stuffer items. I think I'll have to look into this!

Last edited:

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
One could also accumulate ice cube trays of different shapes for holidays and give it with maybe some bottles of drinks. Or for a football basket: chips, salsa (ew), cookout stuff, whatever. They are available at the Dollar Tree. And Ikea has some different shaped ice cube trays that aren't holiday.

Yesterday at Target, I got some school supplies, too: crayola colored pencils for $1 a box. When I go to Walmart, I will buy some more school supplies for the DGC's stockings. Just haven't had a chance to go there yet.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Pam - thanks for posting the hot chocolate recipe - yum - have you ever tried it with flavored powedered creamers?

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Halimer - That is interesting! I bet you could change up the flavors with the creamer. I'll see if Pam has ever tried it. What would you think about using Halimer?

Grammyk

Retire Member
Jan 14, 2008
This past week-end, I bought an Airwick air freshener at the 20cent shop. Bought a refill and batteries, 6 more bucks and when I brought it home and hung it up, I thought of this thread. one or two of these would make awesome wedding gifts, The B& G probably wouldn't think of that at the time they opened it, but they would as real life settled in. It can set or hang and you set it send a burst of fragrance into the room 9,18,or 38 minutes, or you can turn it off. Great little gadget!

Grammyk

Retire Member
Jan 14, 2008
Good grief, meant to post the above on the Wedding gift question. Sure is Monday in this house!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Kim - I'd probably go with French Vanilla which is what I usually put in my hot chocolate. Also there are sometimes seasonal flavors that are put out in the liquid each year - I don't know if they doi the same in the dry.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I have thought of it, but haven't actually tried it. Ooo, the French vanilla would be lovely on a cold winter's night. Oh, who am I kidding? It would be good on ANY night! lol Great tip, halimer!