Non-Perishables

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
Before winter comes I am getting things stocked up as much as I can to make less trips to the grocery store. I don't know why I never did this before.
Two weeks ago I filled my freezer with meats. Now I want to get a bunch of non-perishables. Other than pastas, Hamburger Helpers; what else can you suggest that would be good to stock up on? I'm thinking canned broths, soups & maybe tomato sauces.
As I get older I'm really seeing the value in planning ahead for winter.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We stock up on rice, tinned tomatoes, chicken and beef stock, hot chocolate mix, tinned veggies, shelf stable milk and custard and tinned fruits. We also have on hand things we may need if we are not well, tissues, paracetamol, Sprite, throat lozenges, crackers. Not a lot, just enough to have on hand if we need it and then can re stock later.
Tinned soups that can be used on their own or as an ingredient to a meal. Cream of Chicken is very versatile, we mix it with some frozen veggies and pasta and make a casserole. Very quick when you are not well or need to warm up quickly.
We make sure that we have quick meals on hand in case one of us is not well.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I'm going to do my pantry and freezer inventory earlier than the HGP week it is supposed to be done, just so I can be better prepared -- plus I've done a lot more canning this summer than is typical and my jars are all over the place! I stock up on dry goods (pasta, rice, rice/pasta mixes) and also make sure I have an extra box of pancake/waffle mix for those cold winter mornings. I also keep an extra supply of soups (favorites and those used in casseroles) and broths on hand, as well as cans of the vegetables I didn't get to this year or don't can. I can tomatoes, pasta sauce, and tomato sauce, but will make sure I have a half-dozen cans on tomato paste in my pantry. I'll also stock up on some specialty items that I use in recipes or appetizers that I serve over the holidays (sliced waterchestnuts, artichoke hearts), since the prices typically increase as the holidays approach -- plus, with supplies this year, who knows. And, I'll also grab extra baking supplies for the holidays, and extra TP, paper towels, and laundry supplies when they're on sale. Oh, and I keep a spare role of parchment paper. My cookies always seem to stick, even on non-stick cookie sheets. Makes clean-up so much easier.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Good ideas!

I'm going to do pasta, rice, flours, sugar, canned tomatoes, broths, evaporated and condensed milk....

I have quite a bit of peanut butter but may buy even more as this is one of DH's favorites.

Reactions: girlsinmo and Minta

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Things I stock up on
Kitchen Pantry:
Assorted cans of soups
Assorted types and sizes of broth (I tend to aim for 3 boxes and 6 cans of each)
Assorted sizes of canned tomato prducts (crushed, diced, stewed, sauce, paste, etc)
Assorted Dried and canned beans
Assorted boxes of pasta
Assorted types of rice and quinoa
Minimum of 6 jars of spaghetti sauce 2 of pizza sauce
Minimum of of 6 cans of tuna
Minimum of 6 jars of peanut butter
At least 8 cans each of canned veggies (corn, peas, green beans, etc)
Minimum of 4 small cans of mushrooms and sliced black olives
Extra of all my baking supplies and any herbs that I am low on that I use all the time.
Extra can of coffee and hot cocoa mix
Box of powdered milk for baking or for emergencies
I am always stocking up on cereal. If I get below 10 boxes I panic LOL
Extra bottled water

Foil, plastic wrap, wax paper, parchment paper, assorted sized for ziplock food bags

HBA:
Extra boxes of tissues, TP and paper towels
Cough syrup
Liquid cold meds for the kids
Halls
Nyquil for DH
Asprin, Tylenol and Advil

Cleaning:
Big packs of tissues, TP, paper towels and cleaning from BJs (found 4 pack of of their brand of cleaning wipes yesterday at BJ limit 1 so I got 1) will check again next week to see if I can score another pack.
Extra bottle of Laundry soap, fabric softner, dish soap and dishwasher tablets

Batteries, candles and extra tank of propane gas for the grill. If we get a bad storm and the power goes out for a long period of time I want to be able to still cook for my family.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I read through the lists and they are great reminders. Here's what is on my list but I don't recall seeing mentioned:
  • tooth paste
  • hand soap
  • kitchen trash bags
  • oatmeal
  • chia seeds
  • flax seeds
  • lentils
  • split peas
  • barley
  • yeast
  • dried fruit
  • instant coffee (I have to have my coffee if power goes out. Might be room temperature but that is ok.;))
  • Something that will seem like a luxury item when you are without power or unable to get out due to weather/illness.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Great List. I see items I need to add to mine. Thank you for sharing.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Add any condiments you may use on a regular basis...ketchup, bbq, mustard, steak sauces, syrup, honey, Tabasco, Liquid Smoke.
Cooking Oil
Cooking Spray
Shortening if you use it
Nuts

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I read through the lists and they are great reminders. Here's what is on my list but I don't recall seeing mentioned:
  • tooth paste
  • hand soap
  • kitchen trash bags
  • oatmeal
  • chia seeds
  • flax seeds
  • lentils
  • split peas
  • barley
  • yeast
  • dried fruit
  • instant coffee (I have to have my coffee if power goes out. Might be room temperature but that is ok.;))
  • Something that will seem like a luxury item when you are without power or unable to get out due to weather/illness.

I have one of those percolator coffee pots for the gas stove for the power outages :)

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Love the lists!
I looked at everything we use here in our daily life and made several lists. Everything from food, paper products, cleaning and personal care items. I’m basically a from scratch person when it comes to cooking but in the event I cant get potato’s, onions, milk etc I have bought box items to fill in. I’ve also planned and stocked for all my holiday cooking. No real junk food, (ok, I have a stash of moose munch). I watch the expiration dates when purchasing and have my pantry items organized by dates. Every time I use something I add it to that weeks shopping list to replace ( if I can find it).

The only thing I am struggling with is a substitute for eggs. Does anyone have any suggestions? The only thing I’m familiar with is egg beaters.

Other things I’ve thought of but they don’t pertain to my family:
Pet supplies: food (regular or special), medications, treats, kitty litter etc.
Baby supplies: Have a baby or having one soon? Here there was a run on formula, diapers and baby food this spring, none to be found anywhere.
Elder care supplies: Depends, Ensure, etc

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Olive oil
Kasha
Potato flakes - just in case
Guacamole
Salsa
Ketchup
Mayo

Are also important things in this household.

There are assorted shelf stable vegan egg replacers including one by Red Mill

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Great lists. I would add anything needed to go with any kind of equipment we use. Like the strips that go with blood sugar checkers.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Glucose tablets. Our Walmart had none the other day.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
The only thing I am struggling with is a substitute for eggs. Does anyone have any suggestions? The only thing I’m familiar with is egg beaters.
I have heard of powdered eggs but I have not used them. I have used powdered egg whites that I bought using a coupon at Michael's Craft store in their Wilton Baking area. I use them for baking anything that requires egg whites only.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
My daughter in law used this for baking due to allergies: To make a flax egg, mix one tablespoon ground flaxseed meal with three tablespoons of water. Mix together, and let sit in your fridge for 15 minutes to set up and thicken. It's that easy. You could leave it up to 30 minutes if you want

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My daughter in law used this for baking due to allergies: To make a flax egg, mix one tablespoon ground flaxseed meal with three tablespoons of water. Mix together, and let sit in your fridge for 15 minutes to set up and thicken. It's that easy. You could leave it up to 30 minutes if you want
Oh, this is good to know. I buy flax seed meal at Aldi and try to keep extra on hand.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois

On another blog that I follow, she was just talking about freezing eggs in an ice cube tray and then transferring them to ziplock freezer bags. She freezes her whites separately from the yolk, for baking purposes, but I see no reason why you couldn't freeze the whole egg at once (ice cube tray might not be big enough, though. Just a thought ...

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I never thought about freezing eggs. Thank you for all the suggestions. I’ll have to do some experimenting to see what we like.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
This is a great reminder. I've been thinking ahead to the what if's of the Fall and I don't want to be in a bad situation, so I think this week I'll really get a pantry list going and get on that!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana

This has good information about freezing eggs.