Non-Perishables

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I just finished my pantry inventory this morning -- whew! And, what popped into my mind? Need to organize my spices -- I can pretty much guarantee that cinnamon is going to wind up on my shopping list ...

Also, I wanted to mention that, when I made a quick run through the drive-thru over the weekend, they had no ketchup packets. He said ketchup is in short supply, since everyone has been using drive-thru for 6 months, and the condiment has been more heavily distributed. They'd even had to switch to filling condiment cups, instead of using the packets. But their supplier couldn't fill their order for either the packets or commercial size cans of ketchup. He said their supplier doesn't know when they'd have new stock, either. I haven't noticed a shortage at the grocery store, but if you use a lot in your household, it may be worth it to keep a spare bottle, just in case.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
DH uses a LOT of ketchup!

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I bought extra ketchup! DH is very happy that you told me about this shortage!

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
There was a relish shortage at Aldi this summer. So my mom who lives in another state picked some up for me. I was at Aldi on Monday and they still had gallon jugs of vinegar and some ketchup which we needed. Their normal volume was definitely not there.

I finished up my shopping at the local grocery store. I was thrilled to see it looking stocked like it did back in February. It finally felt like a normal shopping experience even though I was wearing a mask and distancing.

Reactions: halimer

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
freezing eggs in an ice cube tray

Been there, done that, was pretty much one of the most frustrating things ever to try and get frozen eggs or egg whites out of the ice cube trays. If I did again I would use silicone FOR SURE!!!

I haven't noticed things out of stock at the grocery stores - have been to Meijer and Aldi in last few days doing big stock ups. DID pick up an extra bottle of ketchup, which I'm happy I did now!

I "think" I've topped off the pantry pretty well at this point.

Mainly canned goods, dried fruit, baking supplies, herbs and spices of all kinds, home canned items, oils/shortening/lard, soups, bouillon, broths, pastas, tea bags, coffee, all types of vinegar, Asian sauces, cake mixes, cornbread mixes and a small supply of "shortcut" items - scalloped potatoes in a box, boxes of stuffing mix, hamburger helper, etc. We don't eat them often but they have a long shelf life...

We also have a small supply of Pedialyte, and then instead of buying a bunch of bottles of Gatorade we bought the large canister of Gatorade powder so we can mix our own as needed.

I need to focus on stocking wet dog food cans - we have PLENTY of dried dog food at this point - and OTC medicines and toiletries next...

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Was just looking through my notes from previous years.. For those who live in northern climates, don't forget to pick up a container or two of ice melt. Never fails that, if I don't grab some, we get sleet over the Thanksgiving or Christmas holidays!

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Lori my dh is in charge of ice melts... and we are always out of them!!!
That was my dh's responsibility, too, and one I had to pick up following his passing several years ago. One reason I keep it on my HGP Garage Week list!

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
No ice melt needed here in Louisiana, unless we need it thaw the frozen freon lines on our air conditioners running so hard most Christmases! ;)

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Freezers are full and well stocked. Pantry is stocked. I would like to make a trip to the liquor store but if I don’t make it it’s ok. The only complaint from my husband is not enough junk food lol. Will just need to keep a accurate list of what I use every week.
Pumpkin is back in stock here but a limit of 3 cans. Never dreamed that there would be a limit on pumpkin.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Never dreamed that there would be a limit on
I saw on the news that the pumpkins grown in TX was late getting planted, which delayed the canning process. I grab a can every time I go to Aldi's I have 6 in stock for making a pumpkin rolls for neighbors. and ourselves. Now I need to remember to grab more cream cheese.

Reactions: PamelaG

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Read a news report this morning that said to stock up on disposable masks (if you use that kind), hand sanitizer, household cleaners, toilet paper, and paper towels. With the possibility of an increase in the number of cases in the next few months, plus flu season, these things are going to be hot ticket items again.

Reactions: luludou