November 2021 Menu Plans

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Lori ~ Your meal plans are much more involved than mine are even now, cooking for DH and myself. If I were cooking for myself alone, it would be even more simple or at least more repetative. I might just fix a whole chicken and eat it all week long. LOL ...
Dahlia -- I truly appreciate your comments. I usually make a 1/2 recipe (if it says serves 4) of whatever I cook, or adjust the recipe to 2 servings -- one serving for dinner and the remainder for lunch the next day (or, repurposed into something for lunch). I've never been one to eat the same thing for several days in a row. But, there are days ...

As for my plans being so involved, know that my husband passed suddenly in 2014. Early on my mind became fixated on the need to "take care of myself," primarily because there's no one else to keep a watch on me or take care of me if I get sick. My DD lives an hour away, and all other family is at least 90 minutes from me. So, it's all on me to keep myself as healthy as possible. That "I'm all alone" feeling is real. So, I started with getting a dog, which forced me out of the house on a daily basis and got me exercising again. And, it also meant that I forced myself to eat more well-rounded meals with both protein and vegetables, rather than grab something from a drive-thru. And, I started writing out my meal plans (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), to avoid eating poorly simply because I didn't have the right ingredients -- made sure there was no excuse. It's one of the only things that helped keep me sane in that first year.

Because I was still working full time, with an hour+ commute each way, many of my go-to meals are crock-pot friendly. For example, my pot roast recipe came from my mother, who would pressure cook it; I put it in the crock and let it go all day. Same with the country ribs, and I often cook my chicken in the crock. Fix it and forget it, the easier the better, and bag salad works just fine for me!

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
Lori ~ I've been married over 50 years, and I know how lost I would be without DH. My heart goes out to you for your loss. You are so wise to take such good care of yourself, even in your grief.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Nov. 22 - 28
Monday
-- mac and cheese with BBQ pulled pork
Tuesday – tacos
Wednesday – dinner out with DSis#2 for her birthday
Thursday -- Thanksgiving at DNiece's house
Friday -- wedding reception dinner to celebrate with my friends Barb and Rob
Saturday – late lunch in Michigan with Mom, DSis#4, Niece, and Nephew
Sunday – turkey dinner with favorite sides (Niece that is hosting is vegetarian, and DSis is "clean eating", so I doubt we'll have green bean casserole or some of the other guilty pleasures, so will do a turkey breast to enjoy after the tree is decorated.)

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Dahlia -- I truly appreciate your comments. I usually make a 1/2 recipe (if it says serves 4) of whatever I cook, or adjust the recipe to 2 servings -- one serving for dinner and the remainder for lunch the next day (or, repurposed into something for lunch). I've never been one to eat the same thing for several days in a row. But, there are days ...

As for my plans being so involved, know that my husband passed suddenly in 2014. Early on my mind became fixated on the need to "take care of myself," primarily because there's no one else to keep a watch on me or take care of me if I get sick. My DD lives an hour away, and all other family is at least 90 minutes from me. So, it's all on me to keep myself as healthy as possible. That "I'm all alone" feeling is real. So, I started with getting a dog, which forced me out of the house on a daily basis and got me exercising again. And, it also meant that I forced myself to eat more well-rounded meals with both protein and vegetables, rather than grab something from a drive-thru. And, I started writing out my meal plans (breakfast, lunch, and dinner), to avoid eating poorly simply because I didn't have the right ingredients -- made sure there was no excuse. It's one of the only things that helped keep me sane in that first year.

Because I was still working full time, with an hour+ commute each way, many of my go-to meals are crock-pot friendly. For example, my pot roast recipe came from my mother, who would pressure cook it; I put it in the crock and let it go all day. Same with the country ribs, and I often cook my chicken in the crock. Fix it and forget it, the easier the better, and bag salad works just fine for me!
Lori, You could teach classes on how to go on after losing a loved one!

Reactions: Lori K

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Rolled frozen turkey breasts are available at the moment for a good price. I will purchase one next week to store in the freezer for Easter.

DahliaDoll

Premiere Member
Oct 15, 2007
We're visiting DSisIL this week, so menu planning is primarily hers. Here's what I know:
  • Monday ~ Leftovers
  • Tuesday ~ DSisIL planning
  • Wednesday ~ Clam chowder (mine)
  • Thursday ~ Turkey etc al.
  • Friday ~ DSisIL planning
  • Saturday ~ DSisIL planning
  • Sunday ~ Dinner out

Reactions: jampss