November 2106 Declutter club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Not sure I'll have much time to declutter in December as we get ready for Christmas but I'll try :)

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Im pretty happy with my efforts at de-cluttering.
I would now like to perhaps de-decorate a little. Not sure how to explain it. I want to put some much loved decor items away- not get rid of them- just minimise my space a bit. Its hard to decide what to put away- especially framed photos. I love them all, they are all special. Its just that I have so many of them around the house.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY
De-cluttering is so hard. I often end up moving things from one spot to the next.
Whenever I feel like I am too close to being a part of an episode of HOARDERS I make a super-human effort to purge things.
Since I scrapbook I have lots of scrappy stuff & I often find myself piling things I am sorting through to find just the right paper/embelishment & then I move the pile around & around.
I am currently working on such a pile as I read posts.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Okay that is funny -- those 3 posts are EXACTLY what I would say today.

1. Uhm.... the holidays are getting close. Gotta wrap it up.
2. Now that the clutter is gone I'm down to decor and sentimental. What do I want to do?
3. Time to go find an episode of Hoarders. There's usually one running at some point each day and I'll record one or two if I need extra motivation. Man, I just hear the theme music and stuff starts flying out the door. Thankfully, we are not a hoarders episode -- except for DH's side of the garage. Seriously! Tools and gear EVERYWHERE because he doesn't have proper cabinets in there. And guys are SO attached to their tools -- even if they have multiples of the same thing. Much of it goes on the floor where his truck should be instead of being up on the wall. For this I often threaten to turn him in to the show! ;)

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Allen still burning and pitching in shed
You must love him!! Give him an Atta Boy for us! :)

So I sorted out the photos from my sentimental pile. I have 3 big bins worth. Hmm. That's not all of them. There are other boxes. Perhaps in the attic. I think there are two more bins -- so a total of 5. But you know what? I sorted those out and binned them to become their own project and then went through and resorted the sentimental pile. This amazing thing happened:

I pulled out what was "hard core" sentimental to me and not going anywhere and there were actually very few items. The rest were things that were either decor items or items I have some sort of guilt about not keeping. It is a pile about the size of maybe a side by side washer/dryer, I guess.

Then another amazing thing happened. Once it was sorted out, the heavens opened, angels were singing and I spotted some decor items that could be actually matched together. I created THREE decor groupings from items I've had for YEARS that I just have not been able to really SEE before. Just couldn't figure out how to use them. Once all the clutter was gone they just hit me. I'm sooooo happy that I have a purpose for some of these items. They are items from my travels and give me fond memories.

Still circling the pile and pondering it. Kinda like you do in wrestling.

Last edited:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
They are items from my travels and give me fond memories.
Still circling the pile and pondering it. Kinda like you do in wrestling.

I can just see you circling.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Keep circling lol
DH has taken a whole truck load (ute) of stuff from this house to the farm. It is not really decluttering, just moving the piles around.
Will continue to declutter as we move, any thing out is good, right?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Got the Halloween decor back in the attic & costumes. got all my Halloween costumes organized, threw 3 bags out and have 3 dresses to put in the donation bag.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Sunday Dh made three trips to GoodWill. I now have another box ready for a trip.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
Diedra, you are rocking it with moving crap out!

I don't see much more happening this year---still need some outside stuff moved yet this weekend for deer camp next weekend.

I AM HOPING TO ROCK IT IN 2017!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Shall see!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have another box ready--yes again. Just odds and ends of things I find. A shirt here, a pan there type of things.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
now that the moving is finished I can see what else I can get out.
Gave dining room table and chairs to a single father just starting out, he also took 2 bean bags and some electric fans.
When I start to go through this house room by room, stuff will be going!!!!!!

I think my word for 2017 will be declutter.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Tomorrow when I go to the mall I have a bag full of donations that will go under the Christmas giving tree.
Took empty cardboard boxes to the recycling centre this morning and have another pile to go to a co worker. who is moving soon.
Still have a long way to go but am feeling good with how things are going.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
I know it is the end of the month but just this week I have started digging out the basement, trying to find an area that I can work on some wood crafts I need to get done. In the 4 days I have been down there I have shot away 20 bags that are going to the garbage, moved 15 totes to garage for garage sale plus have put another 12 behind bar in basement. I was cleaning behind bar and found 2 cases of 22 year old beer. I also found 8 cases of soda that mostly exploded. Oh well cans will just be given to the speedway can collection anyways this summer. Just took a break to eat something quick and now heading back down there, to see what else I can get rid of. Then onto organizing everything else that is down there.

Reactions: sweetpumkinpye

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have another trash bag ready for GoodWill.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I will start again tomorrow. Looking forward to January when I will do a big, big cleanout.
Will start the new year off right.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
After being gone for four months away from the house and letting DH and DD24 take care of it ... not ... I have been doing a little here and there and took stuff to the thrift store donation center. Yay!

In fairness ... they did try and they did keep the basics cleaned, but well, just not up to my standards. And hey, I am 'letting that go' because I'm thankful they did some.

You all are on fire, though. Cool!