November 8th - Food Storage Week

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Hi everyone. How is the plan working for you? This week if you having done so already, it's time to make room for ingredients you'll need for Thanksgiving and Christmas meals. Plus don't forget containers for storing leftovers and baked goodies.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Very timely assignment, aggy! It fits in with my leftover work from last week's "Cooking Spaces" week.

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
Hey there all! Happy Monday! New day, new week!

I didn't get as much done in the kitchen last week as I wanted, but I'm going to let the cooking spaces go and focus on the food this week. I've got my holiday cookbooks together and am thinking on recipes, planning menus, and making lists of what I need to stock up on and watch the sales flyers for at the grocery store.

I hope to get the pantry, fridge, and freezer all organized this week. Instead of a big one day over-haul, I'm thinking that I'll aim for 15 minutes or so per day and take it all in baby steps....

Wishing everyone a terrific week! Love having all this support and knowing as I go through my week that you all are out there, too.

Best Wishes,

Last edited:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Rockin_granola -- I am absolutely with you! I work MUCH better in small steps. 15 minutes at a time. Working while on a telephone call (thank you, long phone cord)! Watching a good TV show and working away. Doing one bit at a time.

Which reminds me: instead of doing all FOUR big, deep storage cabinets -- what if I TRY to do one at a time? That would do two things: (1) I could get rid of outdated stuff, donate items that I have too many of, and (2) I would get some idea of what I have and how to better organize it!

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
yes, "slow and steady wins the race" is my motto this week, for sure!

I spent 15 minutes yesterday cleaning out the freezer and making room. We had a few "mystery" items I had never labeled or dated. Not good. Being disorganized comes back to bite me again. But, now the freezer has room for holiday goodies and stocking up and taking advantage of the sales that are starting in the stores now. So, I'm pleased. You can't tell a single difference in my kitchen, but I know my 15 minutes yesterday paid off in the form of a clean, tidy, ready for action freezer so I'm happy LOL

Hope everyone has a great Tuesday!

purplecrush

Premiere Member
I sooo have to do this! I NEED to get containers for leftovers and such. Also need to get ingredients for Thanksgiving and Christmas meals, and my pantry is a mess!! It has a "black hole" on the side and I dont even know WHAT is back there!!

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I cleaned my pantry out last week and Friday cleaned out the fridge. Sad how much food we waste in this house. The Tupperware cabinert is good to go and need to check out the spice cabinet and done some clean up in there and the oil/vinegar shelf. I need to see how long some of that is good b/c I think some of it is really old but never opened.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This morning, I worked on the first of four - great big, DEEP storage cabinets in the kitchen. (At floor level -- really hard to get into). I found lots of items that I overbuy - every time they are on sale. I put lots of the extras into a bag for the Boy Scout pickup on Saturday morning, for the Food Pantry. I neatly organized and replaced a lot. (The top right cabinet now holds big bowls (in the back - ones that are hardly ever used) -- and cans of soup in the front. (We love soup in the cold weather!) ALSO, there was one big black trash bag full of outdated stuff to throw out. Lots of stuff from 2007 and more from 2008. YIKES!

I would love to clear out another big shelf this afternoon!

Last edited:

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
This afternoon, I ALMOST completed clearing out the second of the four big storage shelves in the kitchen. I haven't put things back in there yet. But -- I threw out a lot of outdated stuff. And I donated items that I keep buying multiples of - whenever they are on sale.

I find it disturbing that I had things that were supposed to be used in 2007. I thought that I needed MORE kitchen storage space. But -- obviously I am not putting what space I have to good use!

I find that I can work well with the freezer full. And with the refrigerator semi-empty. That seems to be keeping things from being pushed to the back and forgotten. HOWEVER, we no longer have teenagers in the house! With growing children - you MUST have lots of good food available!

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
Got the fridge cleaned out today and skimmed over the pantry (looking for items to donate as today is St. Martin's day and we talked about charity and taking care of those who have less than us)

But .... still need to do a huge pantry big clean up! I've got "black holes" as someone else said LOL I've put it off all week so far, but tomorrow it is time to dive in!

Hope everyone is having a great week so far! We've half way through!

best wishes,

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Today -- I spent A LOT of time working on the four big storage cabinets/shelves at floor level in the kitchen. Forget about 15 minutes at a time - I just wanted to get this DONE. (Of course I did not get it done. But -- I got A LOT done today).

Three cabinet/shelves are organized. One is semi--- sort-of..... no.) There are a lot of cans on the counters and the floor.

There was no cooking in the kitchen today. We ate leftovers.

It would be nice to finish tomorrow.

It would also be nice to not cook tomorrow because of THE BIG PROJECT. We'll see.

nursemomtothree

Retire Member
Aug 18, 2008
Tennessee
OK, finally got that fridge cleaned out, the leftovers and expired things were all gone from my previous clean, but this time I wiped down all the shelves and drawers...that thing really shines!

Nothing else got accomplished in the kitchen, but at least I'm keeping up on laundry and getting a little shopping done. I even started buying some of the food for Thanksgiving last week. I'll put the rest of the nonperishables on the list right now, then save the perishables for the Monday before turkey day.

I think of everyone faithfully working on the HHP every day, even though I don't post any. You are in my hearts.

I'm thinking of setting the table a few days before Thanksgiving then covering it with a sheet. Has anyone ever done that?

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Nursemomtothree - Yes! I have set the table days early -- and it is a great psychological boost to the cook! (Covering the table with a sheet is a good way to protect it from the rest of the family -- and mark it "out of bounds for now".

I think this is our last day for "Food Storage Week". There are still lots of miscellaneous cans on the counters in the kitchen. Some general clean up duty should take care of things. Not perfect -- but done!