November Themed Family Breakfast

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Our November themed family breakfast is in two weeks!! :thud: Time is flying.

I haven't totally decided on the theme and decor this time. I want to incorporate thankfulness, but not just all out Thanksgiving theme. I'm thinking about something like Grateful Hearts or Bountiful Harvest (remember, I did Apple Harvest in September-too much harvesting??? LOL!) or something along those lines. I don't know why I'm having such a struggle with this.

My original intention was to vary the menu every month, but DH has requested pretty much the same thing every time-bacon and eggs, sausage, biscuits and gravy and pancakes. It's easy and it works, so I' guess we'll stick with it again. I do vary the kinds of juice, though! Just a little bit of rebellion coming out!

I think I'm going to purchase stemless wineglasses to use as juice glasses. Dollar Tree has them in two styles. I think that will dress things up a little for the holidays! Since we don't drink wine, they will look pretty with apple or cranberry juice, or even the mock mimosas I make!

Ok, I'll think about this today and be back later to fill in details. Any ideas?

qltmrkt

Premiere Member
Since it is for the family, how about "Thankful for my family" and for some decoration on the table put up a tree branch in the middle with pictures on each branch of your sibs as kids, old family photos, etc. Or smaller tree branches along the length of the table with pictures. Guess you need to worry about blocking the view across the table but you get the idea. Anyway, decorate in tree/fall colors but with the emphasis of "the family tree".

Scarlett

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
I am guessing this is an all ages event...will you have an adults table and a kids table or everyone sitting together? Love the breakfast idea!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
My house is very small, so we sit at the table, at the bar, in the living room, sometimes even on the back porch! Where ever there is a place to plop!! It's fun, and everyone is used to it, so I've never heard anyone fuss.

This month it's on the day that would have been my dad's birthday. He passed away in April. It may be a little difficult, but I took a poll of my side of the family and they all agreed to keep it on the 3rd Saturday, as usual. My middle brother put it well-everyday is an anniversary of something. He's right, and life does go on!!

I think we're going to do Grateful Family Harvest. Sort of throw everything in together! I've got a ton of pumpkins and mums, along with some pretty amber votive cups, so that'll be my table. Maybe I'll go ahead and use my pumpkin colored tablecloth before Thanksgiving!! LOL!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Family Forever. I think a family breakfast about family history and traditions. Have a family tree with old photos of relatives, hand out a family cookbook and cook some old family recipes. Wear an old fashioned apron. Do you have a family tree started? Makes me want to do some family research but Ancestry.com is so busy on the weekends. I'll have to wait until Monday. Think I'll go sort some family photos.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
I have to say, this family breakfast has been well received. I've had a houseful every month. Everyone has seemed genuinely excited to be there. As you may know, we've combined both sides of the family and sometimes that gets tricky, but I honestly believe that if a stranger dropped in, they would have trouble determining who belongs to which side...we all sort of look alike (kinda scary!) and certainly act alike and get along well. I'm truly blessed! :turkey:

Scarlett

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
How about a pretty ornament for everyone to take home as a favor? Maybe buy some glass balls at the Dollar Store and write "grateful" or "blessings" on them with a paint pen? Our church did a craft where we put the litttle children's handprint on the ball with paint and wrote the names and the year.

Cindasnow

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
You could add family pictures into your fall flowere or even stuck in pumpkins. Take dowel rods and little wooden shapes from the craft store ( you can paint your on or get prepainted) glue the wood shape to a clothespin and glue the dowel rod to the other side of the close pin. Put pictures in the clothespins and place the dowel rods down in the plants. Turns out really cute. YOu can also make family picutres ornaments with glass clear ornaments. Cut pictures in a circle I believe the same diameter as the ornament. ROll the picture around a pencil then slide down into the ornament and release. Use a paint marker to write year on the back of ornament. Just a few ideas. I think hte family theme sounds great.

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Great ideas, everyone! I"m storing all these wonderful tidbits away for future use. This month about all I can manage is to cook and clean the house and put out a nice centerpiece! I am running out of time....aaagggghhhhh!

I am going to run by Dollar Tree today or tomorrow and pick up the stemless wineglasses to use for juice; we'll use those for punch at Thanksgiving and Christmas celebrations, and for other beverages all through the year. One thing I've learned from watching a lot of HGTV, FoodNetwork and Christopher Lowell in the old days is that it's ok to repurpose things...we don't drink wine, but we can still have great glasses!! LOL!

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
OK, here's the final decisions:

*BLT dip with crackers
*Breakfast Casserole (cheese, sausage, stuffing mix, eggs, green chilies..yum)
*Hashbrown Casserole
*Pancakes
*Bacon
*Biscuits
*Cinnamon rolls
*Orange, cranberry and apple juices
*Tea and Coffee

Pumpkin centerpiece-pumpkins from our garden with gourds and mums, along with votive candles
Dark green tablecloth, white dishes, fall napkins

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Well, we had the gathering and everything went very well. We had a smaller group-about 15. It was nice. The weather was wonderful.

I'm really excited about next month-with it's Welcome Winter theme of redbirds and holly, my kitchen decorated for a French Country Christmas...so fun!! I"m even going to experiment with some new recipes...savory breakfast bread pudding, for one. Yummy.