Number Two: The Magic of Joy

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Number Two: The Magic of Joy

JOY… that’s what Christmas is all about… sharing our joy with others. It’s what makes the holiday season so special. Everyone has just a bit more spring in their steps and their hellos are a tad bit brighter. The season embraces us with its own magical view of the world. We want to be just a bit more than our ordinary selves...to stretch to new heights, to reach out to others, and to be like Tiny Tim NOT Scrooge. Thinking of ways to bring comfort and joy to others is something Magic Elves are good at. So as we move into the holiday season…let’s think of ways that the elves can bring joy to others.

Jingle Bell Joy: Make it a goal to pass on as many jingle bells to others as you can during the holiday season. Jingle bells are traditional holiday ornaments and a bag of bells cost very little. Tie red ribbon on some of them and green on others…Pass the Jingle Bell ornaments out to people you meet while you are shopping, neighbors, or friends. Leave one on a bench with a little note…”Wishing you a Jingle Bell Joyful Christmas” From Santa’s Elf. Or put one on a table at the library or some other place where it’s sure to be found.

Joyful Noise: Burn a CD of favorite holiday songs. Stick it in a CD case that you have decorated…either by hand (like a mini scrapbook page) or create an insert on the computer….make it colorful and call it “The Magic Elves Joyful Noise”. You might want to make several copies so you can pass them out to people that seem to need a little JOY during the holiday season.

ELF JOY JAR: Get a jar and decorate it to be your JOY JAR for your home. You can approach this a couple different ways. One way would be to put small slips of paper in the jar on which you have written things that bring YOU joy (soaking in a bubble bath, reading while snuggled under a blanket, sipping hot chocolate…well you get the picture)
During the hectic holiday season…pull one slip out each day and joyfully do whatever is written on the slip of paper. Another way is to write (or have family members contribute ideas) for the jar and make it a family activity each day. Or the elves can bring the jar already full of slips with ideas and the kids can pull one each day and do whatever it says on the slip.

JOY Bookmarks: Have the kids make up JOY bookmarks complete with elves on them. There’s plenty of clipart out there so it shouldn’t be too hard to find a suitable picture. They can color and decorate them as they desire…just make sure there’s an elf and the word JOY on them. These can be passed out to classmates and friends in much the same way as the Jingle Bell ornaments.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Here's another JOY idea:

JOY Party

Use lots of sparkly gold decoarations. Spray paint pinecones gold or glitter them and fill a bowl or basket as a center piece or use it on a side table. Make sure you have on tons of twinkling white lights and candles everywhere too. Create a mini tree with nothing but joy ornaments. The mini gold garland with stars works really well and you hardly need anything other than the lights and garland. Make or buy napkin rings with stars and use gold dishes if you have any. Cut glass works also with pretty gold placemats (you can use gold paper doilies). Place card holders can be made by spraying clothes pins gold and attaching a tiny bit of garlad to them. Lay them on their side with the card clipped on. Some of those mini harps or trumpets that are sold as tree decoartions would be cute tucked into greenery. Angel decor is also great for this theme. During the party play the Elves Joyful Music CD or make one that contains only JOY songs. Make sure of course to include JOY to the WORLD.
You can use this theme idea as just an elegant gathering for adults or you can turn it into a children's gathering...for your own, their friends, nieces and nephews...whoever you have available...send invitations that start with ...The Elves Invite You to a Joyful Celebration... and be sure and use plenty of gold or glitter on the invitations...or maybe some of those sparky confetti in the shape of stars that fall out when you open the invitation. Now here's the twist I put on it for kids but it totally depends on your beliefs and wishes....When the kids gather I tell them that the elves want to share something special about Christmas...even though they live at the North Pole they know the true meaning of Christmas...then I share several children's books about Jesus's birth and Christmas. There are tons of good ones out there. I'll come back and post a short book list later...if anyone is interested. Then we play the JOY CD...eat and celebrate. Sometimes I send a Star ornament home for the tree so when they see it they can remember the story of Jesus's birth. A small nativity set for each would also be very cute

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
Another FUN craft project for yourself or the kids...Buy (or make) those wooden letters JOY and have the kids paint and decorate them with elfish paper (scrap paper or maybe wrapping paper would work if it's thick enough) Walmart has the letters for 1.44 each I believe...I got mine at the flea market from a craftsman there fore 44 cents each!!! You can also buy buttons that are Christmasy...like last year I got ones that looked like little Christmas light bulbs. Look in a sewing department or craft store...I am sure there are plenty of options...anyway use some small 'crafting wire" and string the buttons on the wire and twist it around different places on the letters. Place your new decor on a shelf, mantle, or end table.