October 2015 Declutter Club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I hope Lucie doesn't mind me starting this.....

In October:

I have more items for Goodwill

Gave my mom some lotions and bath gels that I don't use, along with some hangers and a new pair of houseshoes that were given to me last Christmas but were to small.

Took 2 books to give to a girl that comes often to the bank. In fact she came the day I took them so she got them thru the drive. I was debating on one so was glad to move them. I told her to just pass them on.

I have thrown some stuff away

Have a bag of rags going.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Of course I don't mind! :)

So good that everyone is working on this.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
De-clutter

I surely need to do this ... but where to start?

BTW, I can find this thread by doing a search for "de-clutter". But it's not on the front forum page.

It should be
The Magical Forums of MagicalHolidayHome.com > Cleaning Plans > The Declutter Club > October 2015 Declutter Club

But there is no "The Magical Forums of MagicalHolidayHome.com > Cleaning Plans" to choose from.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
It's Back!

Gingerbug Said:
Sorry I tried archiving a few things and accidently archived that whole forum....duh....and the declutter club is one of our most popular sections....its back now...nearer the top of the page though!

So, the forum is back on the front page! Yay!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
De-clutter

So, back to what to de-clutter ... I need to do something small as my life right now it difficult. So ......... let's clean up the books above the computer! That's my goal. Donate to Friends of the Library Book Sale!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I think that anything that goes out the door is great. What I need to concentrate on is what comes into the house so I am not throwing it out later down the track.

goodpace

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Elizabeth City, NC
Woo-Hoo! Glad this forum is back. I NEED IT!!!! I got so depressed the other day. The kittens woke me at 5:30 am wanting to be fed so I went downstairs and fed them. I switched on the light and it's a blaring fluorescent and looked around. My house looks like my Mother's. She was a hoarder as was her Mother before her. I switched off the light and went back to bed.

I vowed when I got married that I would never let my house look like that. In the beginning it was easy. Two kids (now adults), 35 yrs of marriage, and some hard health issue hits later....every surface that is horizontal is covered with something. I get food on the table, dishes washed, trash out, clothing cleaned but not much else.

When the holidays roll around I love to decorate and get the house in pretty decent shape then after the holidays I'm back to square one. People used to compliment me on my house. Not anymore.

Sorry this has turned into a big pity-party post. I just don't know where to begin. Then when I do get something accomplished by the time I turn around it looks awful again! Or sometimes I walk into a room and start then give it up and walk away.

Any tips for getting and staying motivated? A friend said I should try getting a maid once a month-maids won't clean around clutter. Can't vacuum a floor if you can't find it.
I've tried various de-clutter plans and fail miserably. By the way I just turned 56, have a bad back, a didn't-quite-heal-right-after-surgery right arm, fibromyalgia, high blood pressure, insomnia (less than 6 hrs every other night some nights I'm up all night) and now type 2 diabetes.

Any suggestions (besides calling to sign up for the next Hoarders show) ?

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
Start small and set a timer- work for 15 minutes until the timer goes off- then stop til the next time.
Break each room into very small sections- don't plan to do a whole set of shelves- just one at a time! The next session do the next one.
Walk through a room with a box - collect 5 items from that room that do not belong there- take them and put them where they actually belong. Start small!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Agree with Tanya, start small, bedside table, bathroom counter and just start. As soon as you fill a garbage bag get it out. Be proud of what ever you get done, every little bit helps. If you have a bad day, don't give up, just start again.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
DD was here this weekend and she took 3 board games with her... it's out of here!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Lucie, well done. i am sure having it gone frees up a lot of space. We need to be rid of an old fridge that we have too.

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I haven't giving up on my decluttering saga....but I need to jump back into the Declutter Club for November to get motivated!! You guys are doing awesome!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
De-clutter

So, back to what to de-clutter ... I need to do something small as my life right now it difficult. So ......... let's clean up the books above the computer! That's my goal. Donate to Friends of the Library Book Sale!
Well, I did do that goal. I'm amazed I did. But it feels good to do something in about 10 minutes and to find stuff I just don't need. Yay! Donating! Bah-bye!