October 2016 declutter club

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
October... need to declutter some more before the Holidays!

Today I got rid of some kebab metal sticks (had way too many), a 12-muffin tin pan (have 4 X 6 muffin pans still), a pair of capris (they fit but I am not at ease in them when I wear them), and a few more kitchen knick-knaks (?sp)

Skippy still doing the big declutter?

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Tearing things up over here. I'm currently looking at the decor pillows I have in my attic along with some big containers that don't really contain anything I seriously need. They are more just places to stash items I don't want to deal with.

The empty "container" pile I am building (til I've reached the end ad and determined I do not need them) is almost the size of Mt. Rushmore. I have three declutter piles going and that is one of them. Need to set a deadline to remove the piles from the house once and for all.

Another stalled pile is electronics. I HATE that pile --- because it has personal data in it. I always worry. Among these items are things like dead tablets, PDA's and old dead Kindles. Are they REALLY dead? Can they be saved? Should I be donating this kind of stuff somewhere to keep it out of a landfill?
*scratches head*

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Sold some of the kids clothes at resale last month. Went through what was left and some down to family. my kids are the oldest in the family and there is a sizable age gap between my kids and their cousins we can only pass down a few things. Will store what is left in boxes for donation pick up after the new year.

I do have a box full of mail, documents that need to be burned so later this month I will get a fire going in the fire pit and have a burning party LOL .. beats having to shred it all :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We may be moving house again. Another great opportunity to declutter.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Katrina, it IS a great opportunity to declutter, but so much work! Hoping it is all for the best.

I gave my mom a gray vest I had (a bit too big for me) when she came by and gave her my bag of kitchen stuff I had decluttered.
Have found a few more things to start a new bag... knives and tea (sweet tea which I don't like)

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Decluttered all the cleaning supplies in my laundry room. Ditched the excess number of rags and such. Got it down to the basics and wiped down all the shelves. SO much nicer and easier to reach things. Love it! (AND got a donation run in to Salvation Army this week also).

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I've seen those Lana but I had a 12-muffin pan... too big for my liking. I might do that on a 6-muffin pan

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Last week I went through my dd's outgrown summer clothing to see what was worthy of passing on. Today I went through our DVDs, CDs and video games. I have a grocery bag of items to pass on.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Decluttered my pantry like nobody's business and it looks awesome! :) CDs and DVDs are on this list this week!

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I took items to work to a couple co-workers and adding machine tape I had here and no longer have the machine.

Allen is slowly working in the shed/shop. He can only sit so long and sort and then can only stand so long and move stuff. He IS in the decrapifying mood so bring it on!!!!!!!

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
With the new cabinets, etc., I have decrapified a LOT!!! I have a bunch to give Steve and Mel. I think I might even have extra room! Gasp! When I started all this, I found stuff that I had forgotten I had! Gave a bunch to DD and she was so excited to get it all! I have tried to give some other things away to no avail. I need to do my cookie cutters. I rarely bake cookies any more. So, I need to go thru them and share with DD and DDIL.

It is almost midnight and I have some more decrapifying to do. Off I go!

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
I have went thru several magazines tonight and pitched them and have a pile to take to a co-worker on Friday. Threw out more recipes---need to do a zillion more. I better go and clean a pile off the floor up and hit the bed, It is 12:10.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
3 1/2 big drawers of DVDs and CDs and accompanying warranties/directions decluttered. Have been dreading that one. Once I started I couldn't believe how easy it was to go through them and toss stuff. I had some seriously old stuff in there. And it took about 1 hour.

Old VHS Recorder warranty and instructions? Really? :) Ended up with 1 drawer (neatly organized) and a small box that needs to have its disks matched to the cases. Eventually will make these digital. The rest are being donated. Also in there I found our baby videos! Awwwwww....Need to make those digital as well!).

Lana -- Good job! I find recipes very difficult to discard. Feeling your pain! I need to do more of that too.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Great job, everyone! I sorted through the Halloween decorations yesterday. I threw out things that were broken or missing pieces. I found one thing that I don't use anymore. That's in the give away bag.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I got rid of several containers of half used sunscreen- out of date now. Same deal with several bottles of half used body lotion- I must have opened them and decided that they were either too greasy or too light. But they were collecting space and not being used.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Good job you guys! High fives on the magazines and sunscreen! Holiday Mom -- I need to let go of a few more Halloween items. Looking at the bin. Might be for November though.

Today is an important day my friends. Important enough that I'm logging in looking for karma and good will from across the universe. I've decided I'm pretty much at the end of my Marie Kondo miscellaneous section. It has taken months but I think I've done it. Now I'm left with 3 big piles:

1. DD's Art Supplies.
2. The empty container pile -- BIG
3. My sentimental items pile. (Other than photos, I've gotten pretty unattached at this point!)

Today I want to WRAP IT UP so I can move into November focused on just my regular HHP Plan. (The sentimental pile at least needs to be contained). If you are out there and online today -- please send me your STRENGTH!

*Hugs* and a deep breath. Here I go!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am with you Cindylouwho, go for it!!!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We have a skip (dumpster) in our driveway that we need to fill. What a great motivation to declutter. DH is going through the garage and is really trying ti be ruthless, but he has slight hoarder tendancies and a very ingrained sense of what if I need it again!!!!

I have got a huge box inside of things that will be given to my mum for her garage sale, I don't want to move clutter to the new house.