October-moving on

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
The weeks are certainly flying by, October is nearing it's end. The next couple of weeks really ramp up for me, got to keep on top if I am to achieve all.

Moisturise morning,
Water throughout day,
Shower/bath at night,
Cleanse,
Moisturise,
Brush teeth,
Lip balm,
Hand cream,
Clean kitchen and DW on before bed.
Read and sleep at reasonable time,

Weekly:
*make work lunches for Monday (X) Tuesday (X)
*wash hair (X)
*shave legs ( )
*self tanner ( )
*washing (X)(X)
*fold washing (X)
*ironing (X)
*vacuum floors (X)
*mop floors ( )
*clean bathrooms (X)
*meal plan (X)
*clean fridge (X)
*tidy pantry (X)
*tidy freezer (X)
*shopping list (fortnightly) (X) grocery shopping (fortnightly) (X)

Fun/ Christmas prep:
*start/continue/finish one craft project ( )
*start/continue/finish one book (X)
*books back to library if needed (X)
*pick up books (X)
*update planner (X)
*tidy gift closet ( )
*DrillDance training plan (X)
*DrillDance training (X)
*walk at least 3 times ( ) ( ) ( )

Extras:
*5 small maintenance chores ( ) not now, doing HGP
*Work on DrillDance routine (X)
*Work on Household binder/meal plan/ HGP ( )
*Grocery shopping Thursday (X)
*Drs appointment Thursday (X)
*Continue HGP, I am doing the kitchen this week( ) change of plan, will continue HGP next week.
*DrillDance training camp Saturday (X) Sunday (X)

Word of the Year:
Appreciate

Last edited:

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I will be busy on Sunday so I've started my planning on Saturday. This was the third week in a row where I really fought to get things done at work and at home. Work trickled into home life. By Thursday, I had hit my breaking point on doing things for others at the expense of me. So once again, I took a break from answering to anyone on Thursday and Friday and worked on taking care of me and my list to do. I've decided that from now until the end of the year that I will make a list of three things that I want done and do those things before doing anything else for others.

Weekly:
  • Clean Bathrooms.
  • Pay bills.
  • Call:
  • Weed one flower bed or trim bushes. Weeded one flower bed; Trimmed two bushes.
  • Make a grocery list.
  • Buy groceries.
  • HHP
  • FlyLady: Master Bedroom

To do this week:
  • Continue to harvest herbs from the garden.
  • Cleaned up the tomato and pepper plants on the patio.
  • Continue to take dried herbs and put them into containers.
  • Take weeds and branches to curb for Yard Waste pick up.
  • Gather HHP lists from previous weeks and begin to shop for those items.
    • Craft items-Look online to see if anyone sells them. Still looking for alternatives.
    • Stocking Stuffer items: Check other stores for missing items. Not in stock at the moment. Update: Found the one item! Just one more to go. Will order the rest online with any Black Friday like sales if I need to get to $50 for free shipping.
    • Food Gifts - Keep an eye out for sales in the next three weeks.
  • Look online for ideas on Halloween games and decorations.
  • Download pictures from camera.
  • Send pictures to those who asked for them.
  • Delete photos from camera.
  • Make shopping list for Halloween games and decorations.

Projects to work on as time permits:
  • Put together Christmas cookie dry mix kits and add recipe to each kit.
  • Begin moving Google Docs into Google Drive Folders.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mary,
I find that from now until the end of the year it is frantically busy for me. Everything seems to get busier and I will need to really practice self care if I am to get to the end of the year in one piece. On top of that the weather is getting hotter and that is a drain on me too.
I am very pleased that due to being on top of things during the year I am in a good position but it will not take much for the wheels to fall off.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Everything seems to get busier and I will need to really practice self care if I am to get to the end of the year in one piece.
Yes, I thought I was doing ok with the self-care part. I've been faithful to taking my vitamins, really trying to eat healthy and getting in my morning walks. But I'm seeing that the soul soothing things like slowing down and sitting with a cup of tea while watching or reading something positive hasn't been happening.

I'm amazed how things slowly creep in without me realizing it. When I do a great job on something, it feels good to get the recognition but instead of replenishing myself from the exertion to get it done well, I keep working harder. Then I resent people and things and get upset with myself. It's quite the cycle. :rolleyes: I'm going to try not to work through lunch and take a break in the afternoon this week.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I am terrible at self care I am realizing. I have gained 6-8 pounds and I can feel it. Some of my clothes are fitting a bit different in the waist and I hate it. That doesn't seem like much but for me it's a lot. I just don't feel like myself. I have no motivation or energy for exercise and my eating is all over the place. One day i'm starving and the next i'm snacking at odd times because i'm not that hungry. I'm exhausted all the time no matter how much sleep I get (never super restful no matter what I do) or how much water I drink. My skin is breaking out like a teenager with out of control hormones. I keep telling myself I just need to get through this super stressful time and then I can focus on the self-care things like getting a exercise routine in place, eating better, drinking more water, etc. It's so hard when I have so many things on my plate to juggle and am in the classroom all day trying to prove myself with observations and trying to get this edTPA figured out and an e-portfolio, plus manage my own kids and family life, etc. I have no time for any one thing.

[X] Mentor call (Tue)
[X] Eli dentist appointment (Tue)
[X] Observation (Tue)
[X] Cohort Seminar (Wed)

[ ] Finish book
[X] [X] [X] [X] [ ] [ ] [ ] Wash face/moisturize

[X] Make eye exam appointment
[X] Take car in for recall
[X ] Grocery Shop

Last edited:
Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Hey Jess, I get what you're saying. I've been in stressful seasons. Sometimes, the only way to get through it was to take care of myself way better than normal. If you could do one simple self-care action for you, what would it be? Is there a way to try to do it just for today?

Yesterday, I sat down late in the afternoon with a cup of tea, put my feet up and watched a Hallmark movie for 15 minutes. (It is my go to channel to relax.) I got interrupted but told the family that I could help out after my 15 minute break. I'm going to try to do that today and each day this week. I really felt so much better after doing that. Maybe you don't have 15 minutes but do you have 5 minutes to sit outside with a glass of water? Or take a short walk to the end of the block and back?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Hey Jess, I get what you're saying. I've been in stressful seasons. Sometimes, the only way to get through it was to take care of myself way better than normal. If you could do one simple self-care action for you, what would it be? Is there a way to try to do it just for today?

Yesterday, I sat down late in the afternoon with a cup of tea, put my feet up and watched a Hallmark movie for 15 minutes. (It is my go to channel to relax.) I got interrupted but told the family that I could help out after my 15 minute break. I'm going to try to do that today and each day this week. I really felt so much better after doing that. Maybe you don't have 15 minutes but do you have 5 minutes to sit outside with a glass of water? Or take a short walk to the end of the block and back?

Hmmm, I take a bath every night and read in the tub. But that is my usual routine. I would like to think of something outside of my routine to do just for me. A friend of mine sits in her driveway for a set amount of time when she gets home or sits somewhere alone in her car before going home at the end of the day. I'll have to think of something that really feels like self-care to me. I love the idea! Maybe i'll make a list and implement something every day for at the very least, 5 minutes. Thank you!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Jess and Mary, I feel your pain. We are I feel typical women, taking it all on and giving it our best until we cannot give any more.

Can you ask your kids to take over the prep of one meal a week? If it is dinner great, sit and watch 30-45 minutes of that movie with that cup of tea. If they choose to make breakfast, great. Have a lie in for an extra 30 minutes or get up and start on a chore that you are needing to finish.
I have come to realise that we cannot do it all all the time. I have not done much housework today as I have been under the weather. The house is a little messy but nothing that cannot wait until tomorrow or Friday. If DH is bothered (he is not) he can pitch in and help.
I know that we all feel the pressure but if we don't look after ourselves then nothing will get done.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
A friend of mine sits in her driveway for a set amount of time when she gets home or sits somewhere alone in her car before going home at the end of the day.
When I was teaching, and my children were young, I would get them settled with a snack and something positive to watch on television in the afternoons when we got home. I would ask them to give me 10-15 minutes to change from being the teacher back into being the mama. I would usually lie down on our bed for a bit, then, change my clothes. By the time that 10-15 minutes had passed, I felt more able to move forward to the things that had to be done. My children still remember my doing that and speak of it sometimes.

This also gave them a little time to transition from being at school to being at home. Whatever it was they watched...can't even remember now...was 30 minutes long. TV went off at the end of it and they were ready to start homework if they had any. I usually used the extra 15 minutes or so to do something productive around the house...start on supper, put a load of clothes on to wash, look through their backpacks...

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I put on Spotify last night on my computer and listened to music. I turned the TV off and just had music playing. I didn't do anything else but listen to music and sing along while DH was making dinner. It was nice. I forgot that Spotify makes playlists for you, so I explored those and found some really cool features to start utilizing in the future on days when I have time or remember. I'm going to try to do one thing each day like Mary was saying, even if only for 5 minutes.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I find every single member of MHH so inspiring. We have had so many tragedies and triumphs, some really low times and some absolute pearlers. Everyday when I log on here to say hi it lifts my spirits and makes me feel that I can face the day. I love being able to share my life with you and in return share in your lives too. You have all become my dearest friends. Practice self care when you can, you are worth every second.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I know that we all feel the pressure but if we don't look after ourselves then nothing will get done.
Yes! This is something that I've been working on slowly because it takes time to change old habits. Sometimes I go along just fine with life and self-care but when unexpected things occur often and/or quickly, I have a hard time with the change. I do a transition time like Jane did with her kids. Our family is sort of wired for the need to rest and relax as soon as we get home work/school.

I do think the transitioning time is important even when working from home. That's what I'm trying to do with sitting down with a cup of tea and watching a show. I've been walking 2 miles before my dd catches the bus Monday through Friday for the last 7 weeks. It's set the tone for the week day. Weekends are optional but I do tend to get out with my dh for walks then. My water intake is better now that I'm tracking it better. I just have work on transitioning to the after work/school time.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Mary- My host teacher gets up and walks before she comes in to school in the mornings. I would love to do that but I also love my slow coffee drinking, news watching, internet check in routine as well by myself downstairs. haha It's my me time with no one else awake in the house. I do my internet rounds: email, MHH, Instagram, FB, watch CNN10 for school. I have the news on in the background and just slowly drink my coffee. By then it's time to start getting ready for school. The idea of a morning walk in the dark sounds wonderful, but it's hard to give up my very established routine. I would need to get up an hour earlier, at 4 a.m., to make it happen I think.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Jess, it sounds like your morning routine works for you. I think ultimately, we each have to do what works for us and be open to changes as life ebbs and flows.