Olympic Party

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
When the Summer Olympics started almost two years ago I was relatively new in the boys lives. Since I LOVE the Olympics and realized that they did not know much about them I decided to throw an Olympic Party for the opening ceremonies. I planned a dinner buffet of appitizers, pulled out every American flag I could find, checked out a couple of books about the Olympics from the library and made a special evening out it.

Now that the Winter Olympics are here they have requested another Olympic party which I thought was really cute. So we are doing it again - this week we have been reading about the winter Olympic sports, talking about the difference between the summer games and the winter games and planning our menu. New this year is an Olympic flag that I found at an estate sale. It has the Olympic rings and U.S.A. on it and we'll put the flag out Friday morning. I also have them standing whenever the National Anthem is played during the medal ceremonies.

We keep a world map handy so that we can find the different countries that are represented at the Olympics. I think this year we might even mark them with little post it arrows.

I think one or two of you mentioned that you enjoy the Olympics as well - will YOU be watching? And, is anyone going to go to any of the games?

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
Awesome idea! I had planned to host a family breakfast and use the Olympics as a theme-I actually think that was YOUR suggestion! But..life has again reared it's ugly head and breakfast this month is not going to happen-but basketball and baseball tryouts will! LOL. I'd love to do something for this, even if it's just for the 5 of us. I'll give this some thought.

I love this idea!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I'll be watching!! as for a special dinner... hmm don't know since we are already doing something for Valentine's on saturday & sunday!

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
What a lovely idea, Kim! Wish I had thought of this when my kids were all home! I will be watching the opening ceremonies at home tomorrow evening. DGS will be with me Saturday, so maybe he would like to do something with the Olympics, too. Love it!

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
Great ideas, Kim!

We'll definitely be watching as both my girls were big fans at the Summer Games in 08. (Was that really almost 2 years ago?) We'll be watching a lot as a family and maybe we'll take a cue from you and make it a bit more fun. I'll have the kids make some decorations and we'll each pick a country to root for and see which will win the most medals.

At the end, whoever wins the most medals can pick a place to eat for a family dinner.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Great Thread, Kim! How wonderful that your boys want to repeat their fun "Olympic Party"!!!! It sounds like a great event!

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Kim-
I LOVE this idea!

When I was growing up, it was like everything stopped for the Olympics. I have many happy memories of all of us as a family huddled around the TV every night to watch them.

It seems like (as with a lot of other things) families don't do it as much anymore.

Thank you, Kim for keeping this going!

We talked about the Olympics starting up at work and I noticed a lot of the younger employees don't feel about them as some of us older people do.

It's a shame, I think!

I, myself am looking so forward to watching them. And I already warned all my friends that I will be spending the next 2 weeks Celebrating the Games!

Annie

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Kim -

My boys are small, but the following sites have cute and easy kid-friendly crafts and recipes...My 4 yo made the olympic torch for tonight's opening ceremonies (and I bought small medals on red white and blue ribbon from the party section at Target...he's going to love that!)

http://holidays.kaboose.com/Olympics.html

We're going to try the 3-D ski jump art, but the chenille snowboarders look cute too! And I love the idea of having our own Score cards to rate performances...watch out for that harsh judge (DH LOL!)

http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/winter_olympics.htm
There are adds at the top, but Scroll down to see apps about the mascots and crafts, printables, etc.

http://kidsactivities.suite101.com/article.cfm/winter_olympic_activities_for_kids
creating your own winter olympics

HTH!
Colleen

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
This sounds like alot of fun! I know my two youngest can't wait to watch the hockey games. They did watch alot of the summer games, so I think they will probably enjoy some of the winter events too. My son got Mario & Sonic winter olympic games for Wii for Christmas (we have the summer version too). I'm thinking if there isn't an event they want to watch, maybe we could do a family olympic game night too.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Kim -

How was the party????