Ornament Exchange...need ideas.

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Belles

Retire Member
I have a brunch planned for the first week in December, (it's almost a mother daughter tea for family and friends) and have decided I woud like to incorporate the an ornament exchange, so I need help from those of you who have gone to or hosted one. Not sure how to word invites to explain. Did you send out a detailed invite explaining how or what type of ornament to bring? Would also like to know what type of favors you gave as a parting gift.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
These are fun. I've included the following verbiage on an invite before:

There will be an ornament exchange for those who wish to participate. Please bring one wrapped ornament not to exceed (insert monetary amount here) to the party.

Once everyone is there, you can do the exchange several ways - draw numbers (or whom ever has the closest birthday, the most festive sweather, etc) to see who goes first. They pick one, open it and the next person can either take theirs or pick a wrapped one. If someone has their ornament swiped, they must pick from the wrapped ornament pile, not from the unwrapped items. Or, another option is to just allow everyone to pick a package and then open at the same time and share what they received.

As for a parting gift, recipes of any of the yummy foods you created are fun, maybe a takeout box with a few treats or a holiday notepad even.

Have fun!

carol1231

MHH Member
Oct 13, 2007
W-S, NC
A friend of mine hosts an exchange every year and it is so fun. We do the swap as Kim explained by picking numbers out of a hat and having the option to steal. Our twist is, after an ornament has been stolen three times, it is retired and belongs to the last person that stole it.

It's fun!