Ornament Exchange Party-Questions

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Has anyone ever done this? I read about it as a blurb in a catalog and thought it sounded neat....I'm an ornament freak. lol ::eek:rnament: Does each person bring one ornament or does each person bring an ornament for each guest, kind of like a cookie exchange? I thought this would be a neat way to get the girls together for the holidays with some appetizers, cookies and drinks.

Thanks in advance,
Lisa ::eek:rnament:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
I'm doing an ornament exchange brunch this year. I am using a Winter Wonderland theme with lots of light blue and white, snowmen and snowflakes decor. We are doing it as everyone brings one ornament then we will draw names or numbers an exchange. You could do it like a cookie exchange with everyone bringing enough for all guests but depending on what is expected, it could get a bit expensive.

Scarlett

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
South Carolina
I've done it where each person brings an ornament. The exchange is one of those chinese gift swaps (there are tons of names for this). You place all wrapped ornaments in a pile and each person draws a number. Number one chooses an ornament and unwraps it, number two can steal or choose another unwrapped ornament, etc. It's a lot of fun and everyone leaves with a great gift.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Instead of exchanging gifts with my side of the family, we've been doing an ornament exchange for years. We include my parents, my siblings and all of our children in it. We all love it and the kids are developing quite a collection of ornaments for their future trees. My brother lives out west and isn't always in town for the holidays, but his family sends their ornaments to us so they can be included.

We do it similar to the way Scarlett described. It's funny what everyone wants to steal. One year it was a Barney ornament that kept getting stolen. Sometimes we have themes for the ornaments and sometimes not. The Barney year was TV shows. Other themes have been homemade (that brought some interesting things from the guys in the family!), country, pop culture, etc.

We will also steal from each other throughout the evening that we get together. So if you really like the ornament you have, you carry it with you the whole night, or it may disappear and another is in its place.

momof4 said:
We will also steal from each other throughout the evening that we get together. So if you really like the ornament you have, you carry it with you the whole night, or it may disappear and another is in its place.
LOL I would be locking it up in my car trunk ASAP......lol

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
That's exactly how we do it. My Bunco group has been doing this for several years, and it's wonderful. I almost have enough to do a whole tree with just Bunco ornaments. I am also doing this with my Sunday School class this year at our Mother-Daughter Tea Party. Can't wait-it's only 3 weeks away! :thud:

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
Maybe you could establish some guidelines, such as whether they should be hand made or not, follow a theme, within a certain price range.

This could be a fun party, especially if you do it as a 'chinese gift exchange'! I love the idea that the ornament can get 'stolen' throughout the night and replaced with another ::eek:rnament: . Sneaky!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Thank you for the great ideas! :smile: I knew you gals would know what to do!

I better start planning!

Lisa :package: