Oven Cleaning

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
With this week's focus being the Kitchen-
I was wondering if anyone has any tips for cleaning an oven.

I have always used Easy Off Oven cleaner- but it seems so toxic!
Does anyone do anything else that maybe a little "greener" or at least not where I have to wear a gas mask while spraying the Easy Off?

Annie

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
Annie - I know, isn't Easy Off just terrible to smell! I don't have another suggestion for a cleaning product, but I can recommend that you get a foil oven "drip pan" after clean it for future spills and messes. I had one in my apartment oven which was not self cleaning and it made it so much better when the time came to clean it.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Nothing here either... except I put a piece of foil at the bottom of the oven after it's cleaned so when I want to clean I just take out the soiled piece & replace but I still have to clean sides, tops & grills.

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
To avoid scrubbing the racks, I spray them with Easy off, then seal them in a garbage bag and sit them outside for a few hours. Then I take them out and spray with the house....all sparkly and clean!

I do that with the burner and grates on my stove top too. As for the oven, I just spray it and let it do it's job. It's yucky, but works.

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I cannot use the commercial oven cleaners, terrible for anyone with asthma.
We do have a self cleaning oven now, but I find it still leaves a residue.

Prevention is key I guess. Wiping it down after it cools after every use seems daunting... but easier then trying to get a months worth of cooked on food off with nothing but baking soda, tea tree oil, some vinegar and a whole lot of elbow grease lol

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I just do the self cleaning option, then wipe out whatever is left over with a damp cloth. I never thought about cleaning the racks though. I might use the Easy Off option. Sounds "Easy" enough!