Parties, get-togethers, family meals Christmas 2013

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
No plans here. :( It will just be DD, Eli and me so we'll probably just hang out. Both my neighbor friends will be out of town and there's nothing going on around here that I know of.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
December 24 - Christmas Eve - at mom's house. supper will be quick & easy pizza, followed by mass and then family will be coming... usually 35 to 40 people. buffet in the evening. Each open a gift from Santa

December 25 - Brunch at my sister's house. just immediate family - parents, sister, brothers. that's when we unwrap the gifts. Used to do it on the 24th but too many people who don't get gifts so we do it alone now. much better.
Usually mom's house is full for supper too but nothing officially planned.

December 26 - a meal at my youngest brother's house as it is dniece's 6th bday.

We either come back the 26th or the 27th depending on when ds works.

December 31st- Supper here with in-laws + my family. Afterwards buffet in the evening.

January 1st - afternoon at dh's uncle's house. supper with mil either we order something or restaurant - yet to be decided

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Same ole at our house
Christmas Eve (our christmas) Prime Rib, stuffed mushrooms and whatever, no one cares about much more then the prime rib and mushrooms.

Christmas Day: appetizers, not sure what this year.

New Year's Eve and Day: nothing that we do special unless DS wants to celebrate his birthday on NYE, then we have whole lobsters. If not on NYE, we pick a Sunday after that for his birthday dinner.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Good thread Lucie!

DH will be out/working Friday, Saturday and Monday nights, but I feel like Christmas starts tomorrow nite! I plan on being festive all weekend. I have to go into work on Monday morning, but only to get any reports out and then I'm out of there. December 23rd is one of my favorite days!

Christmas Eve-DS, his GF, DD, and whoever else will come over. I tried to think of something easier to do but I like the tradition of what we usually have. I'll make a small pan of lasagna, broiled shrimp scampi and rice and some snacks, dessert, etc. I have wine, champagne, and I like to make a small bowl of punch. We just eat, hang out and watch Christmas movies.

Christmas Day-I have a spread of cheese, sausage and crackers, cookies and quickbreads for when we open gifts.

Christmas Dinner-Prime rib and garlic mashed potatoes and a veggie. Keep it simple! Don't know if DS will be here for dinner or at his GF but that is more prime rib for us, lol. DD will be here for sure.

Day After-Might take the day off, DH is working that night.

New Year's Eve-DH ended up having a gig in Tampa with one of his bands. We'll go to an early dinner at a nice restaurant. He doesn't usually work NYE anymore but this is the surf band and no one else can play his part.

New Year's Day-I usually take down Christmas decorations, and we have a pork roast, mashed potatoes, sauerkraut, green beans and I wish I had a good recipe for black eyed peas, lol.

My oldest sister is coming down on January 6th for her birthday (Jan. 5th) so I don't know if we'll be getting together but I need to make sure the house is clean!

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
Sat 21st - potentially family dinner in my parent's house (DPs, DSis1 (and possibly her DP), Dsis3, DSis3 friend, and ourselves (3) )

Sun 22nd - potentially quiet night in (alone) for DH and I, if DD stays in DGranny's house (DPILs)

Mon 23rd - Farmer's market for lunch, Christmas market for evening snacks before the Panto at the Opera House - probably just us 3

Tues 24th - haven't a clue yet, but hopefully seeing both families during the day and retreating to being just ourselves in the early evening

Wed 25th - Christmas Lunch in DH's Bro's with all the ILs (expected 12), Christmas Dinner in my DPs with all my family (expected 7) (yes, 2 full turkey feasts!) - a walk on the beach between them both is planned

Thurs 26th - Both my and DH's family should be coming to us in the "Barn" for leftovers and party nibbles, for DD's birthday party (I am afraid to do the maths)

Fri 27th - All my family (well - 5 of the 6 "DCs" and various partners, spouses, and 1 of 3 DGCs) at my DPs house for their 40th Wedding Anniversary dinner

(And then, Sat 28th, we drive home again. All worn out and ready to hibernate for a few days - before the annual Family Gathering of my Dad and his Siblings, the first since his DMom passed away earlier this year - on Sat 4th January - Dad and his 5 siblings, 4 spouses, 6 of the 10 children (perhaps 1 more) and probably 2 spouses/partners (3 of the children are still children, 3 of the adults live abroad) and 1 of the 3 Grandchildren (other 2 abroad) - so at least 19 eating there).

Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Christmas Eve will be: tamales, rice, beans at my parents

Christmas Day: Presents in the morning at my brothers with coffee and breads- pumpkin, banana, zuchinni. Big Christmas dinner around 4- ham and sides. Pies for dessert. Family board games that night.

Either the 26th or 27th- Do it all again with 2 brothers and their families coming into town. I will be hosting that.

NYE- No plans yet. It's usually quiet. Maybe more board games and snack foods

NY day- I'll host a family dinner and it will include black eyed pea salad.

Other parties this year:

* Dec 8th- Church Christmas dinner
* Dec 15th- Annual Christmas party/dinner with life long family friends
* Dec 17th- Annual Christmas dinner with work girls
* Dec 19th- Annual Christmas party with monthly women's group
* Dec 23rd- Annual Christmas all day party at work- a lot of food set out and everyone eats when and whatever they want.

That's enough for this girl!!!!!!!!

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Annie-One of my favorite Christmas memories was the time I was in Arizona after high school graduation. I stayed with my aunt, her husband and my cousin, and Christmas eve we went to Our Lady of Guadalupe church in town, where they had the kids as angels come down the aisle, and then the mariachi band walked down the aisle. It was so joyous! And then we went to a friends house for the tamales and other goodies. Luminaries were also put out on the lawn. Whenever you talk about what you are doing for the holidays I'm transported back there to that time. Both my aunt and cousin are gone so those are cherished memories!!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Robin--that is a great memory!

On Christmas Eve...we'll attend vigil mass, then have my parents for dinner (brother isn't coming this year....sigh) of lasagna, veal scaloppini, Christmas Salad, cookies and a mint cream pie for dessert. I'll have some apps too.

Christmas Day...we'll open gifts and eat cinnamon rolls for breakfast, then go to my mom's around noon for lunch at 1, then head to mil's for the late afternoon. She usually just has food out...very informal, which is nice.

NYE...local hockey game...we'll eat there
NY's...we'll eat pork and kraut at my parent's.

I'm thinking of having some friends over Friday for drinks and apps. We'll see how the week goes.

~peace~

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I will be with family and close friends for Christmas Eve at my house. I am so excited.

Christmas day I will be relaxing because I go back to work Thursday.

Not sure what I will do NYE. I normally don't go out unless it's at a friends house.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Robin-
We are having tamales tonight!

And there is a neighborhood- they all do luminaries- all the streets! ONLY on Christmas Eve! It is gorgeous!!!!

BTW- I have a really good black eyed pea salad. It is served at room temperature.

It is:

* red pepper-diced
* green pepper- diced
* purple onion- diced
* canned black eyed peas, rinsed and drained. (can get the spicy ones for a little kick).
* Mix all with a french or italian vinegerette.
* Add salt, pepper.

Make early and let it marinate, blend. It is really good!

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
Christmas Eve was very quiet for us. Just DH, me and the kids.

Christmas Day we lounged around the house then went to my grandmother's.

Saturday is our annual Christmas Party.

New Year's Eve we will be going to my parents' for a bonfire and some fun.