Passover

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
I found this on the Kraft website it is very interesting.

KraftRecipes.com
Print PageClose Window
Passover Food Traditions
L'Chayim! (To Life)

As you begin planning and preparing for Passover, we want to share some of the passover recipes we have developed just for this special occasion. You'll find some old favorites as well as some new ideas. We hope some of these dishes find their way onto your Seder table when you and your family celebrate Passover this spring.

Passover is a Time

Passover is a time for Jews around the world to remember the hardships and joys of a people who have observed their faith for thousands of years. During Passover, all generations of the family gather for the Seder meal. The Passover Seder includes foods that symbolize the Passover story, like unleavened bread and root vegetables. The Seder and the foods help people remember and recreate, in some small measure, the hardships and sacrifices of their Jewish ancestors.
Passover Table

The table is set, like holiday meals everywhere, with fine linen, wine goblets, candles and flowers. Some families use a special set of china, perhaps used only for this occasion. The table also features other significant tableware such as the Seder Plate, Elijah's cup, a special matzos cover and, perhaps, a bowl and pitcher of water for the head of the table to wash hands.
Ancient Foods of Faith

Certain foods are central to the story of Passover. They help illustrate the Hagaddah (the story of Passover), which is read before the family enjoys its Seder dinner. The foods are presented on the Seder Plate, which is typically compartmentalized to hold the seven symbolic foods.
Matzos
Matzos

Is unleavened bread, much like a cracker. It represents what the Hebrews ate during their flight from Egypt. Because they left in such haste, the Hebrews did not have time to let dough rise for their bread. So they took the dough and "cooked" it on rocks heated by the sun. At the Seder, three Matzos are placed into the folds of the special Matzos cover. The Matzos in the center fold is broken in two pieces, symbolizing the parting of the Red Sea. The larger of the broken pieces, called the Afikomen, may be hidden for the children to find at the end of the dinner.
Z'roah
Zroah

Is a roasted shankbone. It represents the Paschal lamb and deliverance of the people from slavery.
Roasted Egg
Roasted Egg

Is a hard-boiled egg whose shell has been blackened. It represents life and rebirth. During the Seder ceremony, each person at the table may dip a hard-boiled egg in salt water to symbolize both the tears of oppression and joy of freedom.
Maror
Maror

Is a bitter herb, specifically freshly grated horseradish. It represents the hardships that Jewish ancestors had to endure, as slaves in Egypt as well as during the Holocaust. Those at the Seder table may eat the Maror between two pieces of matzos or they may dip the Maror into the Haroseth to symbolize hardship and remember that bitterness is tempered by sweetness and joy.
Haroseth
Haroseth

Is a mixture of crushed nuts, apples, cinnamon and honey or wine. It represents the mortar used by the Hebrew slaves to construct the Pharaoh's buildings.
Karpas
Karpas

Is a green vegetable, typically parsley, but it could also be celery or watercress. It represents the promise of Spring. People at the Seder table may dip the parsley in salt water to remind themselves of the bitter hardships of slavery, but that even in hardship, there is much for which to be grateful.
Salt Water
Salt Water

Represents the tears of the Hebrew slaves in Egypt.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Thank you for posting this, DebbieGall.

I have a question... for someone who may know the answer.

Here it is:

Of course, Jesus was Jewish... since there were NO Christians before Him. I have assumed that "The Last Supper"... was a "Passover dinner". Because the Disciples were either Jewish... or other religions of the time..... And because Passover is right before Easter..

Does anybody know?

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
SN~That's a great question and lots of conflict over it in the biblical research. John's gospel mentions the Passover meal, but the other gospels do not and somewhat say before the feast of Passover he had the meal.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
Thank you for posting this, DebbieGall.

I have a question... for someone who may know the answer.

Here it is:

Of course, Jesus was Jewish... since there were NO Christians before Him. I have assumed that "The Last Supper"... was a "Passover dinner". Because the Disciples were either Jewish... or other religions of the time..... And because Passover is right before Easter..

Does anybody know?

Sparklenana, this might be why, but I'm not sure. I was always confused as to why we were Christians since Jesus followed Jewish traditions. I didn't know why we didn't do things like Jewish people do, like Passover. I was told that the difference between the Jewish religion and Christianity, is that the Jewish people didn't recognize Jesus as the Messiah. Many couldn't accept what he was saying about eating his flesh and took him literally. They also didn't expect him to be a poor carpenter, and the son of Joseph, but to be more like a king. Since not all Jewish people recognized him as the Messiah, they are still following the Jewish traditions, and are still waiting for the Messiah to come. The Jewish people had the ritual of sacrificing a lamb at Passover. It was commemorated by a meal of unleavened bread, the lamb and wine. Jesus is often referenced as the lamb of God who was the sacrifice for us. Jesus came to complete the Passover, instituting the Eucharist (his body and blood) at the Last Supper. Jesus was the sacrificial lamb, the bread he said is his body, and the wine his blood. Christians believe Jesus came and died according to the scriptures, believing it is the fullfillment of the Jewish religion and the beginning of the new church. We can't remain Jewish, since they believe the Messiah has not come. That is also why the Jewish faith still celebrate passover traditions and we celebrate Easter, since we believe the Messiah came and rose from the dead according to scripture. Jesus became both the Passover sacrifice and the meal through the last supper and his sacrifice on the cross.

Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I would love to attend a Passover dinner!

Annie

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
JingleMom is basically right. She certainly knows more about the development of the Christian tradition than I do...

The last supper does appear to be a Seder. The Seder commemorates the Jewish Exodus from Egypt and anyone who has watched the Ten Commandments knows that story.

The main difference between Judaism and Christianity (at least at that point before the various traditions developed) is that Jews do not accept Jesus as messiah and are still waiting for one. To Jews, Jesus is considered a Rabbi - a teacher.

Of course there are also Messianic Jews who combine both traditions and accept Jesus as their savior.

I would love to invite Annie and all my MHH friends to join me at my family's Seder....As we say....maybe next year.

Pam Spaur

Premiere Member
Jul 17, 2008
Muncie, IN
I'm no expert, either. However, on Monday, April 2, our Bible study will be having a Seder. It won't be the full dinner, of course, but we have some Christians who are experts on the Jewish religion and traditions. They came right before Christmas and it was fascinating. The Seder will be around 9:30 a.m., and of course, you are all invited. I'll try to remember things or take some notes so I can share with you.

Halimer Debbie, will you do the Seder in New York? Will you please share with us your traditions and foods? Anything you can tell us, I would love to hear.

DebbiGall

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Matthew 26:18-19

New King James Version (NKJV)

18 And He said, “Go into the city to a certain man, and say to him, ‘The Teacher says, “My time is at hand; I will keep the Passover at your house with My disciples.”’”

19 So the disciples did as Jesus had directed them; and they prepared the Passover.

Last edited:

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Pam - don't know exactly where the Seder will be this year - I've done it both NY and FL at this point. May even do it on the road. Wherever family is:)

LadyEvenstar

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southeastern PA
Thanks for all the interesting information, Debbie! DD8 will be attending a Sedar this year as a preparation for her First Communion.

snowlvr

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Western North Carolina
We had a passover meal a couple of times in our Methodist church--the last time a Jewish family came gave a talk about the different foods, etc...I remember they had some sort of prayer shawl/cloth that a family member had brought with them when they were escaping the Nazis--fascinating evening..