Personal touches for the master bedroom

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

crazymo

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
Little Falls, Mn
I don't know if this is the right place to post this but here goes. I am doing some decorating in my bedroom, we've never really done too much with the room decor wise. We like old fashioned, country, vintage type of decorating. I would like some ideas for little personal touches that would make the room cozy,homey and romantic without being too frilly for my hubby. I got a new bedding set with some throw pillows that I really love so it's more ideas for the walls and stuff for on top of the dressers etc. So far I have a few family photos and a couple of small vintage prints of Jesus and a willow tree angel on my nightstand. What do all of you have for bedroom decor?

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
I have photos of the 2 of us on my nightstand. I also have a poem that dh wrote me in a frame beside it. I have a box on dh's dresser for his "treasures" that is decorative. I also get ready for the day in our room, so I bought decorative trunks to store my hair dryer, curling iron and other items. I think the best thing is that it looks relaxing and is clutter free. I used soothing colors and fabrics.

We also have a special painting that dh bought me on the wall as well as one of his awards that he won hanging.

Lisa

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I've only got pictures of the two of us in our bedroom and bathroom. I feel like this is our personal sanctuary and wanted to keep it initmate and private...of course, that doesn't mean no one else uses our bathroom...it's grand central station, but you get the idea.

I have wedding pictures, a picture that someone took of DH just moments before I walked down the aisle, a small trinket box that he gave me when we were new sweethearts, and a picture of us together last Christmas. I am still working on these two rooms, but that is what I have in there right now.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I've never really done a master bedroom before. My husband and I are moving in a few months and I want to start fresh. I moved into his house when we got married, and it definitely looks like a bachelor's room. I too bought a bedspread and the set came with throw pillows. I have it packed up to go. We both like deep greens and reds/burgundies and these were our wedding colours. I'm going to try to incorporate some of the decorations from our wedding into our new room. The topper to our cake was a jewelery box, so that can sit out on a bureau. I also think its nice when people frame their wedding invitations along with some pictures. I bought some shadow boxes which I'm going to fill with mementos and hang on the walls.
Someone told me when you're trying to match colours you should get some of those strips of paint colours and match them to things like curtains and bedspreads. They're much easier to carry with you, and you can't always get a fabric swatch.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
My room is mostly vintage items. Old family photos and pictures all in dull gold frames. A few mirrors in the same type of frames (need to be hung instead of leaning against a wall, lol). Some old books that belonged to my mom, aunt and grandparents. Then I have a small collections of off white china items that were family keepsakes all placed on dollies my mom made. The furniture is dark mahogany that my grandfather made. Then there are two chairs from Sweden. The walls are a antique rose with oak trim. I would have preferred to have off white painted woodwork but I hate to paint over the oak.

You room sounds like you've put a lot of thought in to it and will be enjoyed by the whole family.

crazymo

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
Little Falls, Mn
Your rooms all sound so beautiful. You've given me some ideas to get the creative juices going!!!

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
I'm actually getting ready to revamp our bedroom. LOL The bedroom is very small in the house we're in right now, the bed and dresser barely fit. So, aside from the bed, there are two nightstands that are actually magazine racks with tops on them to double as a side table. On top of the dresser is the TV and a small stand up jewelry box. There are two or three pictures on the wall, but nothing having to do with family. There is also a shelf my DH made for me where I have my small crystal balls, family heirloom candle holders and other things of that nature. That's about it besides a fan and a blanket on the floor for the dog.

When I revamp, my plans are:

* Get a new bedspread in a zen/comfortable/stress free/relaxing style and color
* Remove the TV from the room (after DH gets back from Korea, I need it right now to help me sleep)
* Chunky, curvy candle holders in different heights with thick candles in them on the dresser
* Misting bowl or fountain of some sort on dresser
* Maybe a sash or something draped across the headboard
* I just bought a cute basket at Walmart to put beside the bed for magazines so I can remove one of the above mentioned tables that doesn't fit well on my side of the bed

I don't really want any pictures of people in our room or the television, just calming artwork. I want our room to be a place where we can be together sexually and emotionally without stress or any other distractions. I want it to be intimate like Cathymac said.

mammaduke

Retire Member
Jan 19, 2008
Rochester,NY
Thank you everyone we have our bed room half done also & you have really helped me decide what to do in there. We have an antique closet, & pictures of us when we were younger & first met. All my furnature is dark wood, so I bought wall paper a beige color with mauve hearts, which goes good with what we have in there.
You have all come up with some beautiful ideas.

chilli

Premiere Member
Dec 27, 2007
Austria - Europe
I have read all the posts before and I can only add a few things:

Lightning: We have such lighting in our bedroom:
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60028548
In my opinion also candles are very nice for a bedroom and have
a very cozy light

Furthermore we have personal photos as well as other pictures
as well as a seasonal decoration in our bedroom.

Some other ideas could be:
carpets
patternd quilts
curtains
Souvenirs from holidays
plants
incense sticks
pillows

Chilli

zchristy

Santa's Elves
Personal touches are so unique, but make the room so much more..well, personal. ;)

In our room, we have a lovely alder box on the dresser that Dh made me when we were dating. It has some favorite letters and cards from our courtship. I also want to add a framed poem that Dh wrote for me when we were dating.

It was important to me that my husband be as comfortable in our room as I am - that it feel like it is HIS, not that I let him sleep there. ;) So Dh and I picked out the bedding together. Thankfully he has wonderful taste and we chose a gorgeous chocolate brown microsuede duvet cover/shams/skirt with crisp white sheets with brown piping on the top sheet. Our walls are a lovely stone colour and with the soft lighting it looks like a romantic hotel room.

I also think nice lighting is HUGE. My mom gave me a lovely little tiffany-style lamp for Christmas and it's soft light is perfect. She also gave me 3 just beautiful throw pillows (in browns, tans and a lovely one wkith a shot of ruby red) and with our bedding/throw pillows/ featherbed, I love how plush and cozy it looks. My husband makes a comment literally almost every night when he's getting in about how good it feels. :)

I also have an alarm clock that is an ipod docking station, so we'll often turn on music when we're laying in bed and talking. MrsSoup, that would probably work for you. Instead of tv which can stimulate, you can download whatever you're interested in to listen to. I like classic theatre (lutz theatre presentations of my favorite old movies), my SIL like to fall asleep to a podcast of her favorite radio program.