Physical or Digital - Pros and Cons

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
For years I struggled with failing to update my physical Christmas notebook (3 ring binder).

But although I still have my physical Christmas notebook, for the most part, I have gone digital. :)

For the past couple of years I have kept all my Christmas notes, documents, spreadsheets, some recipes and other misc things on a thumb drive.

Work or home I have quick access to my documents for updating, etc. It has worked really well for me!

I just periodically make a copy of my files to our harddrive unit at home - just in case the thumb drives stops working or GASP - gets lost.

I have files saved back to Chr 2005 at this point. Although anything 2006 and before is a little sketchy since I was relying more on the paper version of my notebook then.

At the end of each year I resave my master documents with a new name reflecting the coming year. I delete any unwanted text and use the new version of the document throughout the coming year.

Example: Master Gift List

I have always used a Word document. I list the names of everyone I will gift to in bold. Then after their names I may enter down a few lines and make an area for their Stocking Stuffers to be recorded.

If I give to them on their birthday, I enter down a couple more lines and make an area for that too, including their actual birthdate.

For DH I have additional areas beneath his name for Valentines Day, our anniversary and now, Father's Day.

As the year goes on and I purchase a present or stocking stuffer, I record it for the appropirate person and highlight the text green, to show I already have the item.

So today I resaved my old "Master Gift List 2010" as "Master Gift List 2011"

I deleted the gift info relevant to 2010 and updated any dates that change from year to year - for example - Father's Day was 6/20 last year, is 6/19 this year...

Some gift items are the same on certain people from year to year, i.e. they always get an ornament or a particular type of gift card, etc. I can very quickly have a new working document to track the coming year's gift giving.

I mainly use the document for Christmas gifting, but it is helpful to track other gifting events as well.

Of course this is only one of several documents that make up my "notebook". But outside of the always growing amount of recipes I gather - my core group of files stay the same each year - I just have them on the computer instead of printed out on paper.

Has anyone else made the transition to a digital "notebook"?

Pros? Cons? Thoughts? Suggestions?

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I love the look of a paper notebook - but find I have not used it as I once did.
The digital documents are much easier to update for me.

I am thinking I need an app for my iPhone! Played with a few this year - but none really fit. Still looking :)

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
For now I've got my lists on the computer, but I print everything out in my notebook. I like the feel of taking the big book out and looking into it. However, I'm open to possibilities.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
This sounds like a idea that might work for me...I am going to "exploring" to see if I can use it for myself TFS

I hope to get a new laptop in 2011 so hopefully I will have a new place to put everything...

Saquilla

Retire Member
May 15, 2010
Perth, Australia
I mainly use my physical notebooks, which I prefer. Since they're generally put away when out of season, I also have folders on my computer hard drive. This way I can save and store things I happen to come across. When a planning day comes along (Rudolph Day, Hippity Hoppity Day etc) I refer to the computer folders to update my physical folders.

The other reason is that if all my notebooks where on the computer, I'd probably never get anything done since I'd be sitting here all the time!!

Hope that makes sense!

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
I use a mix of both. I like having the "hardcopy" notebooks - especially from past years to refer back to. I keep my card and gift lists on the computer...along with my Christmas Box and CiJ gift lists. Recipes are all stored on the computer as well.

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I use a combination of both as well. The gift list is computerized in excel going back to 2005 so it's easy for me to look back and see what I purchased for different people. The rest of the data is kept in a notebook as I like to tear out ideas from magazines and newspapers and I file those in the notebook.

charscorner

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2010
I'm another one who uses a combination of digital and hard copy. Often it is quicker to grab my notebook than open a digital folder and document.

I also keep photographs of my room decorating in the physical notebook. Since now I make only minor changes most years, the photos save me a lot of time when decorating. I can easily take the notebook or at least the needed page from room to room as I decorate.

Charlotte

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I also have both. I like having things on the computer because it's easy to update and it allows me to have clean copies without all the marks and scratch-outs which I tend to do on hard copies. I think I am going to invest in a flash drive so that when I'm sitting at a different computer I can still have access to my documents for updating. I keep a notebook so that I can have access to my notes wherever I go, especially when I'm not near a computer.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
I'm another one that does both!

Mostly use the hard copy, but at the end of the year (right now I'm doing it) I use computer docs to list everything out small, neat and organized.
:snowman2: