Planning Ahead...Way Ahead (May Day)

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

RosieLB

Retire Member
Jan 2, 2008
May Day...does anyone celebrate this holiday anymore?

I remember when I was a kid we wanted to, but we lived in an area that had very few flower gardens...and being kids it wasn't as though we could just go out and buy bouquets for our neighbors.

I'd love to begin to plan something for the people in the office where I work. Everyone has been a little down lately for a variety of reasons (bad fiscal news, losing good people to better paying jobs, etc). I went around today and left gifts that were very much like being boo'ed at Halloween (I had a drawing of a frog with the message that someone had just flung the Leap Day Frog at the recipient's head and gave them a bag of gummi worms (to feed the frog with, naturally). The recipients were also instructed to fling some frogs themselves.)

I got to thinking about May Day (the one day we were allowed to play ding dong ditch) and am trying to figure out what to do.

There are 45 people - give or take - who work here. Where am I going to get all those flowers (apartment dweller that I am)?

I do have two and a half months to plan, though. Any ideas?

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Not too familiar with May Day either. What is ding dong ditch?

Could you make tissue paper carnations with pipe cleaner stems? The kind where you fan fold the tissue, wrap the pipe cleaner around the center and then fan out each layer of tissue.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
When I was little, I remember making May Day baskets out of construction paper and maybe a milk carton or something similar. Then we would make flowers, can't remember out of what though, to put in the basket. We would write Happy May Day on the basket, hang it on the doorknob and ring the bell and run. Or just leave it on the door for someone to find when they got home. I loved doing that and I think this year Samuel is old enough.

RosieLB

Retire Member
Jan 2, 2008
Hmmm, now you're making me think back.

The one tradition I remember (and my sister and I got this from the Lousia May Alcott book "Jack and Jill") is to make up small baskets with posies/nosegay/small bouquet and go hang them on people's door knobs.

Ding Dong Ditch is a game that the "bad" boys in the neighborhood would play. It involved running up to the front door of a house, ringing the doorbell and then running away. The fun, of course, was seeing the reaction of the person who opened the door upon discovering that they'd been tricked.

Ding Dong Ditch was allowable on May Day because you were leaving a gift behind, making it a nice thing rather than a naughty thing.

momof4

MHH Member
Nov 3, 2007
Southwest Ohio
Oh! I get the name now!

rockin_granola

Retire Member
Dec 27, 2007
Go Colts!
www.rockingranola.com
I would second the idea of maybe paper or ribbon flowers ... maybe felt flower brooches or pins?

I'd love to do something for May Day because I think my daughter would love it. Perhaps leave some bouquets for our neighbors? Or maybe we'll make some ribbon flowers and send them to grandparents? I'm not sure .... I'll keep thinking on this one though.

Best Wishes!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Jackfrosty == that flower-photo idea really touched my heart. Those would be wonderful for grandparents!!

May Day = doesn't that bring forth beautiful visions of flowers and grass and warm weather. Wouldn't you love to be invited to a wonderful May Day party? Actually, I don't think I have ever gone to a May Day party. Does that mean we have to host these great parties if we want to go to them?

ChristmasRose

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Almost at the end of my rope
A few years ago, my neighbor left a small basket containing a small potted bedding plant and some candy kisses hanging on my doorknob. It still makes me smile when I think of it. I hadn't received a May basket since I was a little girl!

Pippi

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Tall Corn state
Way back when I was a child......LOL.....

We made cones out of wallpaper, that my Mom got from wallpaper books that stores that sell it, were getting rid of. We added a ribbon handle and stapled the whole thing together. We then filled the "cone" with popped popcorn & wrapped candies. Then we'd run to our friends' homes and hang them on the door handle, ring the bell or knock and run like the wind. It was fun to see the different "baskets" we received and our little group of friends all tried to guess who left what. Fun!

Pippi

Gidget

Premiere Member
Nov 24, 2007
Boston
We celebrate May Day with an annual party; I will post details of the "do" in the "Magical Parties" section when things have been finalized for this year.

Gidget-

PS I love everyone's floral-giving ideas

crazymo

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2007
Little Falls, Mn
When I was a kid we made the basket cones filled with candy and did the hanging on the doorknob thing. Something we never did with our kids. I kind of regret it now cause I know I always enjoyed doing it as a child.

Lolwlias

Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
Cadyville, NY

cmerth

Premiere Member
Dec 19, 2007
thetilteditalian.com
We did the cones filled with mini violets and little white flowers (things we found along the edge of our yard). My mom never let us ring the door bell and run... we were told to wish them a Happy May Day. One lady let us pick the mini violets out of her yard to make more basket after we presented her with a basket.

Oh, to be a kid again. bun2