Planting for Rudolph

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Santa_Elf

Retire Member
Oct 29, 2007
Wylie, TX (NE of Dallas)
When we bought our house i scoped out a location for my Christmas garden. So far I have planted, Holly, boxwood, small cedar trees and a couple of other evergreens. These were all planted around a beautiful pine tree. I am looking forward to see what other plants are suggested.

Eddie

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Pick up a baby bay tree to grow. The leaves make great wreaths.

Only thing is they grow slowly so it might take a few years. I've had mine for over ten years. It's taller than I am now. I have it in a pot so I can bring it in during the winter since we have sub-zero weather.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I think this is a great year for two little hollies! I know you are supposed to plant a male holly for pollination (even though the males don't get berries. The female hollies won't get berries either if there is no male around!) :rudolph:

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
HeeHee-I planted hollies when we moved in and they fell victim to the blasted weed whacker and the snow shovel! I'll have to rethink location! I love the idea of a bay leaf as I have a lrg pot waiting for a purpose!
Just read about planting a snowman garden! Basically just a carrot crop you don't get around to harvesting until snowman making time.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Never thought of planting something for Christmas! ... this is why I love this forum... so many great ideas!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I LOVE the idea of the Snowman Garden, Jackfrosty! What fun for children or grandchildren for a surprise!

Thank you for the reminder about the pumpkins - I bought some seeds today!

I love the wonderful ideas from this group, too! :grouphug:

Cathymac

Super Moderator
Oct 10, 2007
Arkansas-Go Razorbacks! Whoo Pig Sooie!
I've been wanting to plant some shrubs in the front, and I'm thinking evergreens that can be used for arrangements and other decorating. I would also like to plant a spruce or fir in the backyard, but I"m not sure if they are good in the heat and humidity of summer. Does anyone know?

I have used pumpkins at Christmas as well, when we've had a bunch left over after the fall holidays-just spray paint them gold or silver and use them as giant Christmas ornaments in the yard!

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
What about rosemary? You always see those little tree shaped rosemary plants put out at Christmastime.

A great gift for someone who likes to use fresh herbs in their cooking!

Only thing is, I have no idea how long it takes to grow a little tree like that. Or how much pruning is necessary???

I love all the ideas here. I currently rent a house so I can't do any planting in the ground but once I have some leisure money I might think about planting in a large pot!!! My mom was not very good with plants so this will be a learning experience for me!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Christmascreations - what about planting seeds? Annual seeds grow only for a few months. And - I think there is a lot of "trial and error" with growing things. You might as well start playing now - as long as you will be in that house for a few months more. :flower:

Zend

Retire Member
Feb 2, 2008
What a coincedence! Yesterday I had to prune a holly tree and potted two sprigs so that I could put them in my front garden, also rescued a rosemary plant from and old tub that was falling apart. I think something was trying to tell me to grow a Christmas garden :-D

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
Zend - do you mean that during the summer in the USA, you can get holly sprigs to root in soil, out in the garden?

SparkleNana said:
Christmascreations - what about planting seeds? Annual seeds grow only for a few months. And - I think there is a lot of "trial and error" with growing things. You might as well start playing now - as long as you will be in that house for a few months more. :flower:

My dad has a lawn guy come every tuesday and I would be too worried that he won't be careful enough not to mow them over. I think a potted trial is best for now but I will do as you suggest and look into annuals first!!!