Please tell me I don't have to repaint!

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Okay, here's a question. I painted our powder room, and I think the last coat of paint went on Friday. My husband, for some reason, brought a soaking wet towel into the bathroom and hung it on the towel bar. I went in there 5 minutes later, saw the towel and removed it. There is a dark splotch where the towel was, and dark marks going down the wall to the floor from where water was clearly streaming off of the towel.

This happened at 7 am. It is now 10:30 am and it looks exactly the same. Is the paint just wet and taking a while to try out, or did it get wet too soon after painting, and will I now have to paint the room again?

Any advice is appreciated. :help:

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I don't know very much about painting but I did just paint my kitchen recently. It seems the paint dried pretty quickly so I don't think it is the paint itself that is still wet. It might be possible some of the water got into the dry wall and caused the discoloration especially if you used a flat paint instead of a semigloss. If you do end up needing to repaint you should only have to paint the area affected, not the whole room since the room is newly painted.

JodyLynn

Retire Member
Jul 18, 2008
I agree with JingleMom......You shouldn't have to repaint the whole room, just touch up the area where the towel was.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Thanks for the replies. It's still there today so I guess its probably there to stay. I wonder how long i'll have to wait next time before I can let someone use the powder room. I'll just paint that wall as long as it doesn't look different than the other walls.

JodyLynn

Retire Member
Jul 18, 2008
FrostyShimmer, you may not have to repaint the entire wall.......I had this happen when I painted my condo. I had the carpets cleaned the next day and they accidentally sprayed cleaner on my freshly painted wall. I just took my trim brush and got a little paint on the brush and covered up the area. It was only about 3 feet x 3 feet. Once it dried, you couldn't tell it had been touched up. I do the same thing if there is a hand print or smudge on the wall......just dab it with a bit of paint and let it dry.

Good luck!