Polar Express Train Ride...???

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Has anyone done one of those Polar Express Train Ride experiences around the holidays? I'm really wanting to book one this year as I think it's the last year DS may believe in the "magic" - he's 8 now!!!

We can either drive a short distance to Chicago or 5 hours to French Lick Indiana - there are pros and cons to either option - was curious - has anyone else gone or know someone who has?

If you've been to either location I've mentioned - any tips or advice?

Reactions: luludou

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I can't help with either location but we did one some years ago at the local botanical gardens. There were a range of ages but I'd say most of the kids were in the 7-11 years old age range. It started with a craft project and then the story with cocoa and cookies. Then we bundled up and boarded the open-sided trolley for a trip through the botanical gardens that are all decorated with Christmas lights. It was a lot of fun.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Sorry to say that we have not done this but it sounds amazing. I think either way it would be a great experience.

Lana

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Southern Illinois
We checked into last year but was so much decided to wait until a couple of the kids were older. St. Louis Union Station is where wed go unless we did a week end to French Lick

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Thanks for the feedback, guys! I think we are going to go with the Chicago one - but the tickets for this year haven't gone on sale yet so I'll be checking their site until they do.

I'm REALLY hoping we can make it work schedule wise - we can either go Dec 1 or 15 - I get nervous scheduling something non-refundable in December.

Normally we would have our annual Christmas party on the first Sat in December - but I'm thinking we'll do Polar Express that weekend and move party to the 8th.

:D

Reactions: luludou

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ hope that the scheduling works to allow you to go. It sounds like a great experience.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
If your son likes the book or likes trains, I'd go for it. :)

I am always hesitant about getting tickets too far in advance during the November/December time frame. Are there any review sites of these train rides that can tell you how far in advance you should buy the tickets? Is this something that you can buy a few days ahead or months ahead?

I've noticed in my family that we are better off doing the "Christmasy" type activities early in December. The closer we get to Christmas, the more likely we are to get sick. It could be because we are doing activities in early December and picking up germs. I just like knowing that we got those memories in before the "I couldn't go because I got sick" memories take over.

Reactions: AuntJamelle

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
He does love trains - and he loves the movie and the book so I think this will be a hit if I can swing it!

The experience will sell out shortly after tickets go on sale so if I'm going to get them I'm going to have to be on it. I've been checking the site daily!

I agree on the closer it gets to Christmas the more likely something is to come up - whether sickness or whatnot - still hoping I can get tickets for that first weekend in December.

One of my close friends has a close friend who took her kids to this particular location and said it was AWESOME - and other reviews I've read all look really good too.

Once I know I have the tickets then I'll start to work on researching our hotel and one other "big" activity for the weekend :)

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Sounds like you have a plan in place AJ. Hope that you can get tickets for when you want them.