Post Christmas Bargains 2017...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Has anyone been out to do some after Christmas bargain shopping yet?

Hit Target and Walmart today and was disappointed at how little both had left! It was really picked over!!!

I did manage to find some things to buy however, I know you are shocked! Ahem.... :)

The biggest purchase was LED white twinkling lights for the tree next year. No more cheap lights that give me FITS! I also splurged on a really cool new iridescent snowflake/starlike tree topper. DS actually spotted it first and into the cart it went!

In addition to wrapping supplies and some cookie tins I did find a couple of boxes of Christmas cards. Those were slim pickings big time too!

I also got items that will be used for gifts next year. 3 beautiful big coffee mugs, 4 holiday towels ($0.44 each!), a candy cane pattern silicone whisk, a snowman pattern silicone spatula, and I think that's it.

Found a winter hat and a long sleeve shirt for DS in boys section on 50% off as well.

I couldn't find many of the peel and stick gift tags that I like, but did find a small amount.

What are you guys on the hunt for? Share your finds!!!!

Reactions: Minta

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
UGH ... I forgot to get Christmas Cards this morning .. Looks like I will be going back to Walmart.

DH and I went this morning and we got a 4ft Led Snow tree .. It looks like a small tree with no leaves and with lights. It will be perfect for the porch corner. Got 3 rolls of wrapping, still have a few unopened rolls from last year. Also picked up ribbon and name tags. I was also surprised by how little was left. This mornings shopping trip was the least amount we have ever bought/spent the day after Christmas.

Several days before Christmas the grocery store marked down some of their Christmas stuff .. we got a really nice light up sleigh and 2 matching light up reindeer for $60 .. Saved over $100. I think we will hit another walmart plus a kmart and a hallmark store in another town later this week to see what other deals we can find. I am always on the search for gifts for next year.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
We're getting ready to head out to let the kids spend some Christmas money. I'll take a look and see what's on sale but I don't have anything in mind. We had to buy new lights this year before Christmas in order to decorate and we bought good LED lights. Christmas cards here are different than on the mainland. While I did find some great ones to send this year, they were way more expensive. I may be ordering online for next year. Haha Unless I can find some on a major sale today. :)

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I bought wrap for 2019- yes you read that right. Because I wrap to a theme and I got caught out a couple of years ago I now purchase 2 years ahead! I bought next years 2018 in the sales last year.
I also got gift cards plus ribbon.

I saw some cards but none that I liked enough to purchase- I will keep looking as I still have some other stores to visit.

There was not a lot left other than food items- which we dont need! Shops were already set up for Back to School! Over the next few weeks I will pick up some bits for next year- but its not such a big thing now as I have access to the stationery cupboard at school!

I did get some 3/4 Capri pants for me but I did not try them on- I kind of thought they would be too big and they are so they will have to go back- the smaller size was not in stock maybe I will try another store as I quite like them.

Luke got a shirt- he likes it- me not so much. Its not hideous but not something I would choose for him- that's ok- he is wearing it not me.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Well we wound up making another trip back to our local Walmart .. good thing its only 5 minutes down the road. DH decided he wanted a smaller tree for his man cave, current one is 4 1/2 ft tall and very fat which takes up a good amount of space so he bought a 3 foot tree. Found a light up lamp post that we missed earlier and found a 4 piece decorative pack for the front door, it has a light up wreath, light up garland to go around the door and 2 small light up trees to go on both side of the door. and Yes I picked up a pack up cards.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have not been to our big mall yet. Popped into a few shops in the village near our farm but bought nothing. It was as if Christmas never was. To say I am disappointed is an understatement.
Hope that I pick up a few things over the next few weeks so that I have a bit of a head start for 2018

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I bought a few picks for the tree and one box of chocolate covered cherries. DH bought a reindeer soap dispenser - all from Walmart. At Dollar General, I bought two decks of cards and pencils. Like most of you mentioned, the pickings were slim.

I've got plenty of wrapping supplies and cards for next year, so didn't get any of that.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Very slim! Went to Container Store and there was hardly anything left. BJ's (big box) had nothing.

I might go out on my own tomorrow and check Walmart and Home Goods but it is not looking promising. There were a lot of sales before the holiday.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I went to Kohls and JoAnn's yesterday and boy were pickings SLIM!

Stores are getting better at not having things left over that's for sure!

I did get a couple rolls of wrapping paper at 70% off and a really cute picture frame for DS's photo with Santa. Didn't get anything at JoAnn's.

Going to try to get to Hobby Lobby today and maybe the mall - we'll see!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
too many people in the stores! we went yesterday but only went to 2 stores and the lines at the cash were way too long for what I wanted to buy. However I did go by Old Navy and got myself a pair of boots $10 instead of $40, a vest ($10 instead of $40), a sweater ($6 instead of $25), 2 pairs of mittens at 60% off, 1 sweater for dd (30% off) and a $5 sweater for dh. too bad I only had 15 minutes there or I would've gotten more! my sister and brother's bdays are in March, would've been perfect.
I did order 3 dvds for ds on Amazon yesterday (2 more seasons of the simpsons and the new planet of the apes) as well as 2 dvds for niece and nephew.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Lucie - You did GREAT! I almost went to the mall yesterday but changed my mind at the last minute. I think I'll wait for January and see what clothing deals I can find for me.

I did go to Hobby Lobby though and once again, there just was not a lot left. My biggest score was getting 3 big long faux red berry garlands. I'm going to use them with the evergreen garland I do on the long high shelf in our living room. They were normally $28 each and I got them for $9 something each.

Got some more wrapping paper, bows, etc.

Went to Meijer last night for groceries and got more of the same - finally found some gift tags.

One thing I was hoping to see and haven't - at any store - is leftover gift sets of lotions, pampering things. Even Walmart was out!

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
only thing I found at the pharmacy today was a beautiful Christmas cup,... it's going in the gift closet for next year, don't know for whom yet

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I believe that this has been one of the worst years for post Christmas shopping.
DH and I popped into a big store on the way home from the farm yesterday and got a few things, but once again the pickings were very slim. I got 2 pyrex dishes for my mum, a few larger gift bags, 1 roll of paper and some gift tags. There was really not too much at all to choose from. Glad for a few things for in the gift closet.

housewife2

Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
va
i bought a vacumn with gift cards i got and a new dog bed, for next year i got some christmas boxes name tags and tissue paper. i didnt need much.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I agree that this has been a bad post season. The only place we've been is our local Walmart, but there was almost nothing left. I only got a few things. The lady told me things will go to 75% off Wednesday, but as little as there was, I don't think there will be much, if anything, left by then. I plan to go to Monroe next week after the girls go back to college. I don't really need anything, but always like to look.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Went to Super Target to see what they had for their 90% off Christmas and the answer was a whole lot of nothing. UGH

Did get some things at Hobby Lobby today at 90% off - mostly bows and boxes - a mug and some ribbon. Was hoping there would be wrapping paper left but nada.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Nothing at our Hobby Lobby, either. My mom gave me money for Christmas and my birthday. Today, I bought myself a coach purse! First time, ever in my life that I have spent that kind of money on myself. It was $495 on sale for $170!

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
MissJane. What a buy!!!
I quite like handbags and would love a Coach bag.....wonderful. You deserve it.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
My Name is Tanya and Im a designer handbag/ wallet addict.....
It has been almost 4 days since my last purchase....which was a simply stunning Louis Vuitton that WAS reduced.

Jane- I have a Coach wallet that I have had for over 5 years. I love it. Enjoy it!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I went to a larger Walmart by my job and was stunned to see how little they had left. I did find a white gravy boat and salt and pepper shaker on clearance for $5 so I got that. I needed another gravy boat and this is much larger then the one I had.