Practicing Good Pantry Skills...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
AJ, they look terrific, I love sundried tomatoes.
Diedra, I wonder why there is a shortage of canned pumpkin.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Bought a few more things for the pantry and replaced the things I’ve used. Wanted another gallon jug of vinegar but the shelves were empty.

I found canned pumpkin today! The only problem is it was a 6 pound can! That’s a lot of pies lol. Was all they had in stock.

Stocked up on cough medicine since on sale. My guess is in the next month or so it will be hard to find.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Another 4 lbs of tomatillos processed into Salsa Verde ...I "think" my plants are about done but I could totally be wrong ...

Dehydrated some parsley and lemon peel - ground up the lemon peel for "zest" :)

I have found a Bruschetta in a Jar canning recipe that I really want to make - just don't have quite enough tomatoes at the moment - we'll see!

I also got my order of vanilla beans and then realized I have no plain vodka LOL so I'll pick up some of the cheap stuff on next grocery trip!

Spent some time today going through the pantry itself and getting rid of old items - moving things that landed there and really belong downstairs, etc. It looks SO much better!!!

We don't care for pumpkin so I hadn't noticed it being around or not - but I heard today there is a shortage of pepperoni?

I did finally make it Sam's and among other things got 4 lbs of pecans for Christmas baking! :) No T.P. to be had however which was disappointing - it is cheapest there - but we'll just have to buy at higher prices elsewhere I guess...there was PLENTY of vinegar at Sam's - I almost grabbed another box but my cart was loaded down and I have a few bottles right now...

Last edited:
Reactions: Ahorsesoul

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I want to do a pantry inventory this weekend. I don't want anything going out of date, so I want to start using from the pantry, replacing things as we use them. A CW and I were talking today. She thinks if Mr. Biden wins the presidency, he will shut things down more tightly than President Trump did since Mr. Biden talked last night about mandating masks if he's elected and because President Trump has been highly criticized because of his lack of "cracking down" on the spread of the virus.

Note: Not trying to start a political debate...

Just stating why it may be even more important to keep the pantry stocked in the U.S. if there is a tighter lock down of essential services.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Jane - interesting thoughts.

I don't want to be political either but I have a feeling that whoever wins there might be some disruptions.

I also worry about all the stores that are posting signs saying "there's no problem with the food supply chain but we still might not have certain items...."

We should all be stocking up as we can.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
With colder weather on the way for a lot of us what are some of you must haves to help through the cold & flu season? Including anything new for all the craziness of this year.

Here are a few of the things I want to stock up on:
Tp
Soap
Tissues
Vinegar
Alcohol
Wipes
Blood sugar strips
Mentholatum
Antibiotic ointment
Anti itch cream
Mouthwash
Toothpaste
Panty liners(sorry if TMI)
Monthly pads(sorry if TMI)
Salt(never know when salt water may be needed)

Has anyone noticed there is a recall on onions, peaches, oranges & chicken? I think it has to do is Salmonella. DGD saw this on different news sites but not on the government site she usually checks. She said she doesn't know what to believe anymore.

I didn't post food items because we can adjust them with whatever is in supply

Reactions: luludou

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I heard about some of the recalls too. Onions were hard to come by week or 2 ago. I buy my peaches from a local farm that grows them there so I wasn’t concerned. Didn’t know about the oranges.

I bought 3 bottles of nice wine today for Christmas Eve. The lady helping me wanted to know the “occasion” so she could assist me better and I made her promise not to laugh. She thought it was a good idea because she is worried we may be quarantined in our homes and absolutely nothing will be open. She’s stocking up on food but hadn’t thought about Christmas shopping.

I don’t feel like any thing here is TMI lol. There are so many things to think about, I appreciate everything listed. I may not use or need a particular item someone mentions but it makes me think of other things we do use. We are to the point here if it’s something we use we are stocking up, being mindful of the expiration dates. We are pretty well stocked for cold and flu season. I do need to check how much Zicam we have on hand. I know I still need Gatorade, ginger ale and saltines for me incase I have a major vertigo episode ( that’s all I can keep down). My needs list is getting shorter I think.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am still trying to think ahead to see what we might need to stock up on. Coming into the warmer months here and we eat so much more salad so I have made a list to stock up on tinned corn, beetroots, tinned fruits, pasta and dressings so that I can make my own salads. Meat is ok here at the moment so will stock up on chicken breasts and sausages for any early Summer bbq's. I get a headache constantly planning but it has done us well so far.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Picked up some extra can goods yesterday and will be picking up more ground beef today. Been picking up flour and sugar to replace what I have been using.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Since DD27 became a nurse, she has started reading active ingredients in medicines and has made some interesting observations. First, Midol, Excedrin migraine, and regular Excedrin have the exact same active ingredients. Midol has an antihistamine in it that the other two do not. It seems to help with the bloating according to what we read.

Also, if you will check the very bottom shelves at both DG and Walmart, there are usually some of the same cold/flu/cough medications for $1 or just a little more that have the same active ingredients as the name brand or store brand medicines. The boxes are very plain looking...usually white with a single color of print on them.

A local grocery store gives reward "punch" cards that can be used for additional savings. Friday I was able to buy 12 cans of canned vegetables for .01 using my cards! There was a limit of three for each transaction, but the cashier just put them all on one ticket rather than ringing them up separately. She was a former student of mine.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Bought a few more things for the pantry and replaced the things I’ve used. Wanted another gallon jug of vinegar but the shelves were empty.

I found canned pumpkin today! The only problem is it was a 6 pound can! That’s a lot of pies lol. Was all they had in stock.

Stocked up on cough medicine since on sale. My guess is in the next month or so it will be hard to find.
Myron's Mom, where does one find a 6 pound can of pumpkin? LOL! I have only seen the typical size at the grocery stores in the past.

Places that I've seen gallon size vinegar in the past - Target food aisle, Walmart food aisle, Grocery store chains

Yes, this is a great time to get medicines for the upcoming cold/flu season. I'm also picking up tissues when I can find them.

Jane and Debbie, I hadn't even thought about the presidential election and what it might mean for the supply chains and closures. You've given me some food for thought...

With colder weather on the way for a lot of us what are some of you must haves to help through the cold & flu season?
Trish, here are my must haves:
  • vitamins
  • vitamin C drops
  • cough drops
  • Tylenol/Motrin
  • Claritin
  • Benedryl
  • Robitussin DM
  • tissues
  • rubbing Alcohol
  • nasal saline solution
  • Food items - cans of ginger ale, seltzer, gelatin,
  • thermometer (I check to make sure it works and then look for replacement battery. )
I bought 3 bottles of nice wine today for Christmas Eve.
Oh my goodness! I forgot about the wine and liquor. I have to get that on my list. In Pennsylvania, they closed down all the liquor stores in March. We were set back then but our liquor stock is getting low.

Reactions: girlsinmo

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Lots of good ideas listed! I just prepped H for college and bought him a thermometer (got us one too), tylenol, emergen-c, zyrtec, and some cold/flu meds. I will have to pick up some stomach remedies and some flu relief when I'm out and about.

I totally didn't think about wine. J is usually the alcohol shopper for the family.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
What always gets me is the expiration dates on the OTC meds, cough syrups, etc. We just don't use them much and I throw away tons - hate buying just in case knowing that is probably what will keep happening. But feel like maybe I should in case it is not available at some point and we need?

It's impossible to do that for every item in the home - like an exhausting game of Magic 8 ball .... :rolleyes:

I dried another batch of tomatoes...

Reactions: teachermomof2

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
What always gets me is the expiration dates on the OTC meds, cough syrups, etc.

I have a friend who is like a second mother to me who is a pharmacist, as is her DH for about 20 years before she became one. She says OTC meds are good way beyond the expiration dates if stored correctly...won't harm you to take them...may not be a potent is the main concern.

Reactions: homemade4me

homemade4me

MHH Member
Jun 30, 2020
San Diego County
Interesting on the canning supplies shortage - I guess maybe people who know how but haven't bothered for a long time are taking it back up?

Every time we've gone to Menards we've grabbed the 2 packs of alcohol wipes we're allowed. I think I have 8 packs now? Plus the canisters I had saved up when I could still find them.

Need to get to Sams still! And for a stock up trip to Aldi!!

I ended up getting 4 gallons worth of porch pickles :)

https://flic.kr/p/2jvCLk1
Then I canned a batch of Salsa Verde and another variation of Tomatillo Salsa:

https://flic.kr/p/2jvBCKh
https://flic.kr/p/2jvBCFp

I don't get jealous much anymore but I am sure jealous of your canning goods!!

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I've been canning a lot over the summer, in part because I had used up a majority of what was in my pantry (I'm a single-person household), and I need to get a better count of what I've canned and what I still need. So, my plan for this weekend is a thorough pantry clean-out, inventory, and reorganization, as well as a liquor cabinet inventory. I'll then have a better idea of what to watch for when reviewing the sale flyers. If I can get to a point where I'm only shopping for fresh produce and bread, I'll be a happy camper!

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Lori, that’s kinda where I am. I’d like to just shop for fresh produce and eggs when I have to otherwise we can just stay tucked in here.

And yes about the expired medications. Even my doctor said they are safe to use. We keep our stuff away from heat ,light, and humidity.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
And yes about the expired medications. Even my doctor said they are safe to use. We keep our stuff away from heat ,light, and humidity.
We have been told the same. Companies need to put a use by date on products but many can be used long after the expiration date.