Practicing Good Pantry Skills...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Just ordered some mustard seeds - hoping to can 1-2 batches of mustard this coming long weekend. Bourbon Brown Sugar Mustard and Dijon I think...

I also bought a few red bell peppers so that I can make a small batch of Red Pepper Jelly :)

Reactions: Georgia

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I am in awe of all of you! I have never canned a thing in my life - I love reading about what you are putting up in your pantries. I think that's the right term, "putting up"? Must have read that in a pioneer novel.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I've completed all of my canning for the season, with the exception of making applesauce when apples come on. It'll be another couple of weeks. Canning jars and lids have been in exceptionally short supply here, except one of the Menards -- they must have just gotten a supply of jars in before I arrived, as there shelves were nearly fully stocked of jars; still no flats, though. I have canned extra this year, probably double the spaghetti sauce and tomatoes so I have ample supply over the winter and to share with family and friends, and pickles -- my DSIL loves them and I wanted to make some for him and also to try a couple of new recipes. I completed my pantry inventory yesterday, for both home-canned goods and store-bought, and have my long-term shopping list ready to go for when the pre-holiday sales begin -- and it's a short list this year, compared to previous years.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I think that's the right term, "putting up"? Must have read that in a pioneer novel.

LOL - Yes! That is exactly the right term! :)

Water bath canning is pretty easy - just a matter of getting used to it I guess - I am still nervous every time I use the pressure canner! Haven't done that in a while!

Canning jars and lids have been in exceptionally short supply here

AGREED! I happened to be low on half pint jars period - so have bought 4 flats of jars and they came with lids so that helped. I have a small supply of just lids from previous years - trying to be frugal with them.

I too am planning on canning apples in the next month or so - mainly making applesauce but also want to make a small batch of Sweet and Chunky Cinnamon Apple Butter - haven't made it in years and it is SO good!

At some point I also want to do a small batch of Indonesian Satay Sauce too. It's very good! And I'm toying with idea of making a raspberry fruit spread - buying one little jar at the store is SO expensive. I love mixing it with red pepper jelly and serving over cream cheese with crackers! I'm thinking of just buying frozen raspberries and using those...

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
... I am still nervous every time I use the pressure canner! Haven't done that in a while!
At some point I also want to do a small batch of Indonesian Satay Sauce too. It's very good! And I'm toying with idea of making a raspberry fruit spread - buying one little jar at the store is SO expensive. I love mixing it with red pepper jelly and serving over cream cheese with crackers! I'm thinking of just buying frozen raspberries and using those...

I have not yet ventured into pressure canning. My canner has been sitting on a garage shelf since the day I bought it (used). Raspberries, for the most part, are out of season here. I did get 2 pints a couple of weeks ago, but the price was unGodly high. Have you tried the Copycat Harry & David's pepper relish recipe? It's great over (or mixed into) cream cheese as a cracker spread.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I have not yet ventured into pressure canning. My canner has been sitting on a garage shelf since the day I bought it (used).

What kind of pressure canner? Pressure gauge (with the arrow that spins in a little dial)? Or weighted (little metal circle that sits on the port and jiggles)?

The pressure gauge type have to be taken to a local county Extension office once a year to make sure it is working right. I have both types and for this reason I tend to use the weighted style instead. With that one I only have to make sure the rubber ring is good condition, not cracked, so the lid fits tightly.

Have you tried the Copycat Harry & David's pepper relish recipe?

No I have not! Where would I find that recipe? :) Sounds like exactly what I am looking for!

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
What kind of pressure canner? Pressure gauge (with the arrow that spins in a little dial)? Or weighted (little metal circle that sits on the port and jiggles)?

No I have not! Where would I find that recipe? :) Sounds like exactly what I am looking for!

I picked up a Mirro 23 for $20 last year. It has a jiggler and they also included a new seal. What I traditionally put up can be done in a waterbath, but I've wanted to do green beans and some other vegetables that would turn to mush if I used "old school" waterbath times. But I've missed green bean season, both last year and this year.

For the Copycat Harry & David's Pepper Relish, I've used this recipe for several years, with a couple of modifications.

Instead of the tsp. of ground red pepper, I've made it 1/2 tsp of cayenne and 1/2 tsp of crushed red pepper flakes. I also found that 2 jalapenos are too mild for my taste and I've regularly upped it to 4-5 seeded and 1 with seeds. The heat tends to reduce with canning. Also, because pectin comes in 1.75 oz packages, I've just simmered it a little longer to reduce liquids and used 2 boxes, instead of the 4 oz. in the recipe. And, for some reason, I've always waterbathed it for 20 minutes, not 10 (at some point, I made a notation for 20 mins., even though the note in the directions says 10 mins.). This year, I only made a half-batch and got 4 @ 8 oz. jelly jars and 1 @ 4 oz jar. It does make a lot!

• Love
Reactions: AuntJamelle

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
I bought some blackberries and blueberries to make more freezer jam since the first batch turned out pretty well.

I still afraid of other types of canning.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Just ordered some mustard seeds - hoping to can 1-2 batches of mustard this coming long weekend. Bourbon Brown Sugar Mustard and Dijon I think...

I also bought a few red bell peppers so that I can make a small batch of Red Pepper Jelly :)
Could you share links to your recipes? I'm particularly interested in the bourbon brown sugar. Where do you order the mustard seeds from and how many does it take?

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Here is the pin for the Bourbon Brown Sugar Mustard - it does sound good doesn't it???

1 cup mustard seeds = 3.527 oz (According to Google lol) - I plan to weigh them on my kitchen scale

I had a largish spice bottle in my pantry but ordered a bag from Amazon which arrived yesterday...

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Here is the pin for the Bourbon Brown Sugar Mustard - it does sound good doesn't it???

1 cup mustard seeds = 3.527 oz (According to Google lol) - I plan to weigh them on my kitchen scale

I had a largish spice bottle in my pantry but ordered a bag from Amazon which arrived yesterday...

Oh I am going to have to try this sometime this fall .. TFS

• Love
Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
AJ, I see mustard in my future! I bet that would be good with soft pretzels! What pretty jars of salsa.

Waiting for the grimes golden apples to be ready. About 2 weeks yet. I have everything else I need to make apple sauce and I think I’ll make a few pies to freeze too.

Georgia

MHH Member
Sep 4, 2020
Georgia
Great thread!

For me, summer canning is pretty much over except for peppers, those will produce into November. Yesterday, I pulled out all of the Hungarian wax and left the small orange sweets and jalapenos.

You know, about 6 months ago I was trying to give away several large boxes of canning jars and no one wanted them and now you can't find them on the shelves at the store.

Canning lids are in abundance online - Lehman's sells in bulk and has the small Ball boxes. https://www.lehmans.com/category/jar-lids-and-bands

Has anyone invested/tried the Tattler reusable lids?

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Thanks for posting about Lehman’s. I’m not in need of canning supplies but our friends are. Lehman’s is about a hour or so drive from here. Had not a clue that they make reusable lids now. I hardly ever can any more since I bought my vacuum sealer. I use that and freeze everything.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I've heard of the reusable lids - haven't looked into the science yet...need to do that!

Thank you for the tip on ordering online - I had thought of it but hadn't gotten around to it. Although at this point it would be stocking up a bit for next year...

I did a LOT over the long weekend to add to the pantry! I'm soooooo tired!!!

https://flic.kr/p/2jEwNyJ
What you see in the photo is as follows:

Red Pepper Jelly - Used 2 red bell, 1 green bell and 2 jalapenos
Salsa Verde
Red Pepper Jelly with Wine - Used 1 red bell and 6 jalapenos
Bourbon Brown Sugar Mustard
Dijon Mustard

I also started a batch of vanilla extract and one of lemon extract. Will start one of orange extract next. I still have plenty of cheap vodka left in the bottle I bought so why not???

Reactions: luludou and Georgia

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Weeeeeellllll....I'm not sure, honestly.

The Dijon smelled heavenly on the stove - was worried that it was a touch too thin - but if it thickens as it sets up in the jars it should be perfect.

I ended up using Jack Daniels in the Bourbon Brown Sugar Mustard - I tasted some before jarring it up and did NOT care for it - however from everything I've read - mustard needs to sit for a least a month to "mellow" before it's ready.

So the verdict is out for now :)

Reactions: Georgia

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I trimmed back my basil and oregano yesterday and got two trays of basil and one of oregano in the dehydrator, along with a full tray of chives. I'll probably get one more tray of basil and another partial tray of oregano, along with one of parsley and more chives -- if it warms back up. We'll be in the 60's until the weekend and then only into the mid-70's. I've got one more red tomato on the vine, ready for tonite's dinner, and a couple more green ones, along with 3 small green peppers, and a ton of habanero peppers that are still green. Hoping we get at least another couple of warm days before Fall really arrives!