Practicing Good Pantry Skills...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Not flushing them both are cloth so not a paper product. My younger half sister (many years ago) was flushing her baby’s pampers. They had to dig up my mothers whole yard to get it cleaned out. They lived in the city so I'm sure even the sewer lines had diapers in it.
So many people flush the baby wipes or personal wipes, assuming they're biodegradable. And, they're not. Costly, for sure. My DD's sewer line repair cost thousands, especially when they had to remove her concrete front slab, steps, and remove plants and shrubbery. They had a sewer add-on policy, but they found out the hard way that it covered to the exterior of the house and from the eves to the street -- but there was a gap in coverage (from the wall to where their overhang ended, so their concrete stoop and patio was not covered and they had to pay for that portion, plus all permitting and inspections at each stage of the project. Took nearly 3 months to complete, and another 6 weeks for the sod and shrubs to be laid, due to weather. Hence my warning about flushing wipes.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Hence my warning about flushing wipes.
A warning to take seriously!

We are on a city sewer but had a major back up that overflowed and had to be cleaned out.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
. . . They had a sewer add-on policy, but they found out the hard way that it covered to the exterior of the house and from the eves to the street -- but there was a gap in coverage (from the wall to where their overhang ended, so their concrete stoop and patio was not covered and they had to pay for that portion, . . .
Just to clarify, in case anyone is checking their insurance policy, DD's regular homeowners policy covered "to the exterior of the foundation wall." Their additional coverage covered from the eaves to the municipal connection, which they took as "from the exterior foundation to the street." The gap in coverage was because they have an 8 ft. x 20 ft. front covered patio in front of their home. So, the house's eaves actually begin at the front edge of the covered patio, not at the house. That poured concrete slab and two steps up from their front walk had to be removed to correct the largest sewer line break (old pipes), caused by the clogged wipes -- and wasn't covered. While they were at it, they replaced the entire old line to the connection; there were several other smaller cracks, so insurance did cover from the eave to the street (less than half the cost, because of needing to dig out and repour the patio and steps, part of the sidewalk, sod the lawn, and replace other landscaping (which were not covered).

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
We have extra money this month so I have been stocking up on canned goodies and other pantry related items. I want to be ready incase of bad weather or things with covid get worse. Heading to BJs this weekend to do some more stocking up.

Last edited:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
We have extra money this money so I have been stocking up on canned goodies and other pantry related items. I want to be ready incase of bad weather or things with covid get worse. Heading to BJs this weekend to do some more stocking up.
Minta, a great idea. Just went to my local supermarket and there are limits on items again. Canned fish, canned and frozen vegetables, cleaning products, all the basics have got limits on them.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Minta, a great idea. Just went to my local supermarket and there are limits on items again. Canned fish, canned and frozen vegetables, cleaning products, all the basics have got limits on them.
That sucks about the limits. I am splitting up my stock up shopping over several weeks and between different stores. So far our stores are well stocked and there are no limits but I am not the type of person to "clear a shelf". I am also picking up a few extra items for the food drive that will be happening n out area this fall right before the holidays. I mam hoping to have a box full to donate by then.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Making a stock up list is on my to do list. I have done the pantry and freezer inventories I just need to sit and make a list of what is lacking and add to the supplies. I will add some Christmas expenses too. (i.e. extra stamps) List week in the HGP plan will come early this year.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
I've got a running list started and hanging on my refrigerator. As I'm organizing my pantry and turntable shelves, I'm making note of things I'll need to stock up on for holiday baking and winter meals. Some items I'll can after visiting the farm stand; other things I know will go on sale as Thanksgiving and Christmas approach. But, having the list available, I can start monitoring prices. There's been so much that's changed, in terms of packaging sizes and costs, that I think it will be a whole new ballgame at the grocery store this holiday season. And, like many of you, I want to make sure I have ample inventory to get me through the fall and winter, in the event that health issues take an even more drastic turn than they currently are. (We're back under Mask Mandate indoors, effective tomorrow.)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Making a list and buying those items now is what my goal is. If I can see the item I need and the use by date is good I am getting them. I am a little unsure of what things will be like closer to Christmas so am stocking up when I can. We are coming into the warmer months so what we eat will start to change and I need to now start stocking up for Summer meals.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Don't forget to add pet items to your stock up lists - we had a terrible time for a while finding canned dog food!

Also something I mean to do - and forget almost every year - is go through OTC meds (cough syrup, etc.) and check for expired items - and replace. Puffs Plus with Lotion tissues are a must to have stocked in our house!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Don't forget to add pet items to your stock up lists - we had a terrible time for a while finding canned dog food!

Also something I mean to do - and forget almost every year - is go through OTC meds (cough syrup, etc.) and check for expired items - and replace. Puffs Plus with Lotion tissues are a must to have stocked in our house!
Oh I forgot about the OTC meds. Thanks for the reminder and thanks for the tip regarding the pet food.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Also something I mean to do - and forget almost every year - is go through OTC meds (cough syrup, etc.) and check for expired items - and replace.
Yes, this is on my to-do list, as part of the Bathroom weeks in HGP. There's a nice checklist of what to have on hand, as well.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Pet food is something that is hard to find here at the moment. DH and I have just done a big on line order and hope that it gets here in the next week or so. Luckily our dogs are not too fussy and will eat most brands.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
es, this is on my to-do list, as part of the Bathroom weeks in HGP. There's a nice checklist of what to have on hand, as well.
Coming into Summer we need to look at sunscreen and personal insect repellent and add that to the list if needed.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
My pantry stocking is almost done. I have about 10 things on list left. Somethings I’m shopping for a better price, others I can’t find. My sinus/ allergy med (OTC) seems to be missing from the shelves. After 3 weeks and 4 stores I’ve found ground cloves and almond extract. I still have not located Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce. our budget is shot this month but we are in good shape for what ever happens this fall and winter. My husband was getting anxious because the pantry was pretty sparse. I was surprised he was asking me to go shopping and stock up.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
My pantry stocking is almost done. I have about 10 things on list left. Somethings I’m shopping for a better price, others I can’t find. My sinus/ allergy med (OTC) seems to be missing from the shelves. After 3 weeks and 4 stores I’ve found ground cloves and almond extract. I still have not located Lea and Perrins Worcestershire sauce. our budget is shot this month but we are in good shape for what ever happens this fall and winter. My husband was getting anxious because the pantry was pretty sparse. I was surprised he was asking me to go shopping and stock up.
Great Job. I am about halfway of where I want to be. I noticed a couple things that I stock up on from BJs is no longer sold at BJs, not sure why. I will check at Walmart later this week. I love to stock up when I find a great deal but there are just some items that now I just snag when I can find them regardless of the price.

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
Just a quick note on bathroom items. While rarely used, I found an urgent need for a butterfly bandage and antibiotic cream/ointment, while at my BIL's wake. I took on the task of going to my Sis#4s house and feeding her dogs, getting them their meds. Her one rescue didn't like how I fed him his meds in peanut butter and he chomped my index finger -- broke the skin in 4 places, one was deep. Had Sis#3 (a nurse) look at it to see if it needed stitches, she said butterfly it, the ER would use glue and, in her opinion, you don't want to glue a dog bite. Luckily, my nephew had some band-aids in his medicine cabinet, along with butterflies. But, after I returned home and needed to change the bandages, I didn't have butterflies. So, even if you think you'll NEVER need them, I'd recommending having a small package on hand JUST IN CASE, along with some fairly fresh Neosporin, Bacitracin, or other antibiotic treatment.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Great Job. I am about halfway of where I want to be. I noticed a couple things that I stock up on from BJs is no longer sold at BJs, not sure why. I will check at Walmart later this week. I love to stock up when I find a great deal but there are just some items that now I just snag when I can find them regardless of the price.
I'm noticing that too. I use to be able to get the bag Arborio rice at our grocery store but I can't find it anymore. For a while, oatmeal and maple sugar were out of stock.

I was shopping today and added some more canned goods to the pantry. I forgot the list of requested Thanksgiving foods that we usually buy for the soup kitchen. :rolleyes: I think I need to put that permanently on my phone.

As an aside, I have never seen the Walmart back to school section picked over so bad before Labor Day. Last week there was a ton of stuff. This week, I offered to pick up notebooks for my college aged children to save them some time. I got the last 5 one subject note books. I have yet to buy anything for my high school student. She is supposed to get her list this week. I hope Target has some things left!

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I'm noticing that too. I use to be able to get the bag Arborio rice at our grocery store but I can't find it anymore. For a while, oatmeal and maple sugar were out of stock.

I was shopping today and added some more canned goods to the pantry. I forgot the list of requested Thanksgiving foods that we usually buy for the soup kitchen. :rolleyes: I think I need to put that permanently on my phone.

As an aside, I have never seen the Walmart back to school section picked over so bad before Labor Day. Last week there was a ton of stuff. This week, I offered to pick up notebooks for my college aged children to save them some time. I got the last 5 one subject note books. I have yet to buy anything for my high school student. She is supposed to get her list this week. I hope Target has some things left!
I hope you can get her school supplies. There are 4 walmarts within 35 minutes from my house, 2 regular and 2 supper. It amazes me how some stores are well stocked and other have bare shelves.