Practicing Good Pantry Skills...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Has anyone ordered vanilla beans before to make their own vanilla?

I ordered Madagascar beans, grade 2 off Amazon a couple of years ago. They're expensive, too, but I made probably three times the amount of extract for the same price it would have cost in the store. Just be prepared that even though it saves money, it's still not "cheap." I used vodka as the carrier.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I will be emptying my big pantry this week and doing an inventory. I got quite a few things at the beginning of Covid and just stored them where I could. Time to really sort through and see what I have. Use up what I have and add the items to the list to restock in case of a second wave. Still not feeling comfortable to go back to "normal" levels.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Aunt Jamelle - I've made my own vanilla for several years. I buy the beans from Amazon but don't remember which kind. I usually try to find a good price point.

Anyhow - everything I bake with it tastes wonderful and it's a good gift for baking friends.

Reactions: Minta

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I ordered Madagascar beans, grade 2 off Amazon a couple of years ago. They're expensive, too, but I made probably three times the amount of extract for the same price it would have cost in the store. Just be prepared that even though it saves money, it's still not "cheap." I used vodka as the carrier.

I made a batch of vanilla extract in May. It's my first time ever. I think it's suppose to age for 6 months. I bought extract grade B mixed vanilla pods from an online company called Slo Food Group. I used Smirnoff vodka. The total was $33. It made 24 oz. of vanilla extract.

I calculated that it cost me $2.75 for 2 oz of vanilla by making it. The cheapest pure vanilla extract that I can find in the store is from Aldi. It costs $4.05 for a 2 oz. bottle.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Looks like in need to make my own vanilla. I had to resort to artificial vanilla it has become so costly. Anyone care to share how to do this?

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I’ve never made it either. I like King Arthur’s vanilla extract and McCormicks Is it similar to any of those? I’m not a fan of any of the ones I’ve had from Mexico. Of course if I don’t like cooking with it I could make some kind of vanilla martini lol.
Yes ,please , could you share how to make it?

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
To make vanilla extract you need roughly 5 vanilla beans per 1 cup of vodka or bourbon. Most people use vodka as it give the cleanest vanilla flavor. Bourbon gives it a bit of a kick. Split open the vanilla beans and place in a jar of vodka. Make sure the beans are covered by the vodka. Seal up and store in a dark cool place. Give it a good shake every few days and in about 2 months you will have vanilla extract. You can reuse the same beans but with half the amount of vodka so for 5 used beans add 1/2 cup of vodka or you can let the beans sit out on a cookie sheet to dry off and then add to a jar of sugar. Shake sugar every few days and in a few weeks you will have vanilla infused sugar.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
To make vanilla extract you need roughly 5 vanilla beans per 1 cup of vodka or bourbon. Most people use vodka as it give the cleanest vanilla flavor. Bourbon gives it a bit of a kick. Split open the vanilla beans and place in a jar of vodka. Make sure the beans are covered by the vodka. Seal up and store in a dark cool place. Give it a good shake every few days and in about 2 months you will have vanilla extract. You can reuse the same beans but with half the amount of vodka so for 5 used beans add 1/2 cup of vodka or you can let the beans sit out on a cookie sheet to dry off and then add to a jar of sugar. Shake sugar every few days and in a few weeks you will have vanilla infused sugar.

Thanks! I think I’ll give it a try. Do you have a good source for the beans?

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have a question. Do the beans ever need to be tossed? I just keep adding beans every few years. Have a pint of vodka filled with beans that I just refill.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
I have a question. Do the beans ever need to be tossed? I just keep adding beans every few years. Have a pint of vodka filled with beans that I just refill.

Yes, old beans can start to break down and make the vanilla extract very cloudy and not as flavorful which is why after using them in a 2nd batch I will pull them out, dry them out and toss them in with sugar to make vanilla sugar. After that they get tossed into the trash can.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Thanks. I will start a new batch this year.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
Did a major stock up shopping today. The world is so crazy. I was feeling “called” to do so. I had 20% off my shopping at the grocery store so I took advantage of it. We are pretty well set. I have about 90% of what I want. Got normal everyday things and a few things for Christmas. No junk food. Most everything outdates the end of 2021 or later. Not much on sale and I’m tired of waiting. Peace of mind is well worth the little extra money I spent. I actually found 10 pound bags of King Arthur flour at wall mart so I bought 2. Spent the afternoon putting everything away. Need to up date my lists so next time I shop maybe I can finish up. All the stores were sparsely stocked. (I went to4).

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Amelia - I did the same thing yesterday. I had a feeling that something is coming and I need to be prepared.

Got flour, yeast, canned goods, etc.

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Got a metal shelf in the garage set up for extra can goods. THe plan to by a few extra can goods each week to store there. I was finally able to order 2 bags of yeast from Bob's Red Mill so that makes me feel better. Some of the grocery stores are starting to have decent sales again and was able to do a small stock up shopping trip yesterday and I have another one planned for next week.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Are you finding people are social distancing in the stores? I am not I find I have to look out for everyone else. So many browsers that you can't get around easily. I understand that people have been couped up and want to shop but there doesn't seem to be an awareness of what's going on around them.

The other day I walked in to the store and a gentleman caught my eye because he was standing near the cherries and taking a handful and eating them. Wash your fruit people don't eat from the bag on the way home.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Are you finding people are social distancing in the stores? I am not I find I have to look out for everyone else. So many browsers that you can't get around easily. I understand that people have been couped up and want to shop but there doesn't seem to be an awareness of what's going on around them.

The other day I walked in to the store and a gentleman caught my eye because he was standing near the cherries and taking a handful and eating them. Wash your fruit people don't eat from the bag on the way home.
I live in one of the hotspots from March and April. I saw both types of behaviour back in March and April. It seemed people were oblivious to what was happening. Our numbers have gotten better because of social distancing and wearing masks. We are still social distancing for the most part but I don't know if it seems like that because I go at off peak times.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have done a little stock take and am doing OK here. I am OK for cleaning products and TP. I will admit to buying TP whenever I am in the store, I don't want to ever be low. I think that we will see higher numbers here as the Winter progresses so am aware of stocking up where I can. Frozen veggies and eggs still seem to be in short supply.

Reactions: Holiday_Mom

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
Prices are higher and some things are not available here