Practicing Good Pantry Skills...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
I have done a little stock take and am doing OK here. I am OK for cleaning products and TP. I will admit to buying TP whenever I am in the store, I don't want to ever be low. I think that we will see higher numbers here as the Winter progresses so am aware of stocking up where I can. Frozen veggies and eggs still seem to be in short supply.
Husband and I buy our brand of toilet paper and wipes anytime we see them. We figured we could share with family and friends.

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
I, too, am buying what we like as far as paper goods and cleaning products when I see it available. There is no way anyone I know is going without tp if everyone goes a little crazy again. I'm thinking I want to change my focus to things that may come up due to power outages, water interruptions, medical needs, etc. Not prescription meds, but back-ups for things like tummy, fever, cough, etc.. I've been carving out a storage area for both wash water and drinking//cooking water j.i.c. Anyone else thinking along these lines?

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
We are still pretty stocked up from the last panic buying phase - I've just been replacing anything we use to keep us "topped off" so to speak.

I too have bought clorox wipes whenever I see them - have a reasonable supply now but plan to continue buying as I can.

Is everyone just feeling nervous thinking about the anticipated second wave this fall? And trying to get ahead of that?

I'm going to finally get myself in gear and start canning this weekend. Bought 3lbs of plums I'm going to turn into Asian Plum Sauce.

I've got a load of basil in the dehydrator and a TON - holy cow - left to pick and dehydrate. Plus rosemary and parsley to do too. I should have started weeks ago...it occurred to me that I am going to have SO much dried herbs that I should maybe give little jelly jars of them as Christmas gifts this year! :)

I'm hoping to be able to go apple picking - as a fun family trip - this fall - it's time to make another big batch of applesauce!!! In the past it has never been crowded at the orchards - unless that changes because everyone has the same idea as me, lol

Off to make my grocery list!!!

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I'm going to finally get myself in gear and start canning this weekend. Bought 3lbs of plums I'm going to turn into Asian Plum Sauce.
That sounds amazing! What type of recipes do you use it in?

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
Is everyone just feeling nervous thinking about the anticipated second wave this fall? And trying to get ahead of that?

Yes and Yes. Realized that have an extra paycheck this month so went to BJs lastnight and bought extra laundry soap, TP and paper towels. We normally buy that stuff every 3 months but I want to have an extra full one of ach on hand just in case. Plan on using money from the extra pay check to buy a lot more extra canned goods later this month.

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
I second Minta- yes & yes. Get this y'all the only thing I seem to be able to stay ahead of the game on is "Soap" We use lots of soap but can still find plenty of it. I still have DH pick up some each time he goes though.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
What type of recipes do you use it in?

We've always used it as a dipping sauce for an old family recipe for Polish Egg Rolls :) But it goes with any Asian food as dipping sauce really...I haven't played with using IN a recipe before...now you have my wheels turning!

I've made it so many times! Happy to share recipe if anyone wants it! Original recipe makes 3.5 cups total...I'm just doubling it when I do it this weekend.

Yes and Yes. Realized that have an extra paycheck this month so went to BJs lastnight and bought extra laundry soap, TP and paper towels. We normally buy that stuff every 3 months but I want to have an extra full one of ach on hand just in case. Plan on using money from the extra pay check to buy a lot more extra canned goods later this month.

Ok, gotcha! Very smart! I need to give this some thought and plan what to target for stocking up...

kringle

Premiere Member
Sep 9, 2011
"Is everyone just feeling nervous thinking about the anticipated second wave this fall? And trying to get ahead of that?"

No, I wouldn't necessarily say nervous. Just trying to think practically. But I definitely want to get ahead of anything. We're about 30 minutes from any store, light traffic, so I tend to shop like a hoarder anyway. I don't like to go wander around the stores in the best of times, but the last few months have made me hate it.

I usually do online ordering for pick-up and have a lot of our regular buys on the Amazon monthly delivery. The availability of several things we get just stopped. Right before delivery, naturally. We are just now able to get some of it.

I picked up paper towels and t.p. at Lowe's for everyone when Walmart and the grocery stores stopped having any so we were okay. But we went through a lot of the paper products and cleaning products, hand soap, etc, because we have older neighbors who didn't want to go and the shelves were empty anyway. They also needed things like otc meds and protein drinks, some of which were scarce. Especially the protein.

I know I can't actually plan for every contingency, but if I can put by a few things that would help if something else should come up, I will feel more prepared. The water thing is just common sense and I realized I don't have enough put by. We're on a well and have had several short power outages this year and it just got me to thinking about what I could do if faced with something more long term.

Myron's Mom

Premiere Member
Jul 1, 2018
Ohio
We've always used it as a dipping sauce for an old family recipe for Polish Egg Rolls :) But it goes with any Asian food as dipping sauce really...I haven't played with using IN a recipe before...now you have my wheels turning!

I've made it so many times! Happy to share recipe if anyone wants it! Original recipe makes 3.5 cups total...I'm just doubling it when I do it this weekend.

Ok, gotcha! Very smart! I need to give this some thought and plan what to target for stocking up...

Please share your recipe! I love anything with plums.

Ive been picking up extra of everything we use on a regular basis (food, cleaning and personal care items). I usually stock pile when things are on sale but very little of any thing is “on sale” now.

We have a all electric home and have a whole house propane generator. Not too long after we moved in we were without power for 4 days during the winter. Wasnt long after that we got the generator. What happens once the propane runs out and we can’t get more?, at that point I guess it won’t matter too much. I am going to ask my husband if he has a plan if that happens as we have a well too. I guess worse case we will be getting water from the lake at the end of the road. It is sad that we have to contemplate that kind of possibility.

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
"We have a all electric home and have a whole house propane generator. Not too long after we moved in we were without power for 4 days during the winter. Wasnt long after that we got the generator. What happens once the propane runs out and we can’t get more?, at that point I guess it won’t matter too much. I am going to ask my husband if he has a plan if that happens as we have a well too. I guess worse case we will be getting water from the lake at the end of the road. It is sad that we have to contemplate that kind of possibility."

Amelia, you got me to thinking....

We have a gas stove, a generator and a wood/coal burning fireplace as well as about a ton of coal in the outside bin. We have several cases of MRE's in the basement and DH keeps buying water when we shop. I buy tuna, flour and yeast:)

Sometimes I wonder if we are becoming survivalists or just showing commons sense in this strange new world.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I've been trying to pick up extra as I shop. I saw a sign at the grocery store yesterday that said there is no food shortage, that people are buying in bulk so the warehouses can't keep up with the demand. It said if people will buy in "normal" quantities, we would see food back on the shelves. I thought that was interesting.

We bought a gas powered generator when this started. Don't know what we're going to do if gas isn't available at some point. Makes me think of the movie "Under the Thunderdome."

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I, too, am buying what we like as far as paper goods and cleaning products when I see it available. There is no way anyone I know is going without tp if everyone goes a little crazy again. I'm thinking I want to change my focus to things that may come up due to power outages, water interruptions, medical needs, etc. Not prescription meds, but back-ups for things like tummy, fever, cough, etc.. I've been carving out a storage area for both wash water and drinking//cooking water j.i.c. Anyone else thinking along these lines?
You will have great peace of mind. :) I have done this every August with hurricane season which is then followed by winter storm season. All it took was one hurricane and one flu season for me to realize that when I want something at the store and everyone else is experiencing the same situation, the odds of finding what I want is just about nil.

I am revising my preparedness plan binder this week. It has been ages since I did that. I have to update a lot of information. It has phone numbers for a variety of people and services. It has information on what to do when the power is out. I want to add some more of those types of things. We have lost power just randomly 10 times since March. This many outages has never happened before. It usually goes back on in 30 minutes but the most has been 5 hours. It's one thing if we are dealing with a storm, it's something else when we have no idea why it just goes off. We've had to come up with alternate eating plans so I want to make sure that I have recipes/ dinner ideas for when we have no power.

Yes! I had to take a mental break from the shopping. I use to dislike shopping. I just hate it now. I havet to gear myself up for a Walmart shopping trip to get whatever is available and then fill in from there at Target and the grocery stores. I have found that I should rotate which grocery store to shop due to their selections and availability. One always seems stocked but full of people and the other always seems like the shelves are empty yet it is never crowded. One has better prices on meats and the other is just more convenient.

Sometimes I wonder if we are becoming survivalists or just showing commons sense in this strange new world.

Maybe a little bit of both? I think when I know that people are relying on me to eat and stay in a warm home, I feel obligated to have those necessary items. One of my dh's bosses would always say "If you fail to plan, then you plan to fail." That has stuck with me so I like to be ready for hurricane season, winter storm season and flu season. Add in coronavirus and it takes planning and surviving to a whole new level!

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
DH should be getting a lump sum retirement check soon. I'd like to learn more about generators before then just in case we may need one. We've also seem some outages for no reason.

We live in a small 2 bedroom home. What kind/brand of generator would y'all recommend? What is a fair price to pay for one?

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
DH should be getting a lump sum retirement check soon. I'd like to learn more about generators before then just in case we may need one. We've also seem some outages for no reason.

We live in a small 2 bedroom home. What kind/brand of generator would y'all recommend? What is a fair price to pay for one?
Maybe check with a couple of generator companies and see what they recommend. When we went shopping for a new heating system, I was surprised at how thoroughly they went over our house - square footage of basement/crawl space, attic, and living areas, number of doors and windows, it all factors in to what size heating system will heat the area efficiently. It's what led us to scheduling the encapsulation of our crawl space, it made a huge difference in the size of the heating system (and of course, the cost).

How many appliances, lights, etc. you want to power with the generator will all be a factor in the size and cost.

Last edited:

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Ours is a stand alone generator. It is started with a pull cord and runs in gas. We got it at Harbor Freight. They come in different sizes and you choose according to what all you need to run using it. Prices start around $350 or so and go up according to capacity.

Our stove and water heater are gas. We bought a small one that will keep our freezer and refrigerator running if we lose power. We CAN go without a/c, don't want to, but we can. We don't want to lose everything in our freezer and refrigerator, though.

I hope to have one that's direct connected, comes on automatically, and will run the entire house someday.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am nervous, but that is me as I suffer from anxiety anyway. I am usually fairly prepared and did OK with the first wave but will be a little more aware this time, I don't like the feeling of being caught out.

rabble

Premiere Member
Jun 19, 2020
Uk
Speaking of stocking up, this is something I've been thinking about lately but not voiced until now. Lockdown/social distancing is pretty much over in the UK (it hasn't but y'know how people are, it may as well be) and as a result areas have seen a spike and have been shut down. The government are also mentioning a 'pre-second wave, stop eating junk food' initiative. So I'm sat here wondering if there will be price hikes and shortage come September. I'm in the process of writing out pantry lists/meal plans for autumn and winter so will start buying extra each shop.

We also had the signs/announcements about 'normal shopping'. At first I thought the stockpilers were selfish, but i was one that couldn't get to the shops until they were cleared out. The stockpilers were all set and didn't have to leave their homes for a while, whilst I was out a few times a week in lockdown trying to get things to put a meal together. Basically, i can get the sense behind preparing and bulk buying now!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Speaking of stocking up, this is something I've been thinking about lately but not voiced until now. Lockdown/social distancing is pretty much over in the UK (it hasn't but y'know how people are, it may as well be) and as a result areas have seen a spike and have been shut down. The government are also mentioning a 'pre-second wave, stop eating junk food' initiative. So I'm sat here wondering if there will be price hikes and shortage come September. I'm in the process of writing out pantry lists/meal plans for autumn and winter so will start buying extra each shop.

We also had the signs/announcements about 'normal shopping'. At first I thought the stockpilers were selfish, but i was one that couldn't get to the shops until they were cleared out. The stockpilers were all set and didn't have to leave their homes for a while, whilst I was out a few times a week in lockdown trying to get things to put a meal together. Basically, i can get the sense behind preparing and bulk buying now!

Rabble, Good point about stocking up!!!

Reactions: Minta and rabble

Minta

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premiere Member
Oct 14, 2007
South NJ
For those still looking for yeast. Bob's Red Mill has yeast available on their website. This is the brand I use all the time, its my favorite brand of yeast and is sold in 8 oz bags. I ordered 2 and it took about 2 weeks for it to be delivered to my house.