Practicing Good Pantry Skills...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
Does anyone else feel like the “plan ahead” part of your brain is going to explode??? It seems anything you want to do requires massive planning. I am a planner and detail person by nature but everything is so very complicated. I guess when this is all done I’ll be a much better planner person!
Oh my gosh, yes! I'm a planner too. I'm use to planning and then being able to sit back and relax a bit. It just doesn't seem like that's possible now. I can't plan that what I want will be available when I want it. I'm still adjusting to it.

Reactions: Ahorsesoul

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
Not a single package of yeast at Safeway this morning - the mass bread-making is still going strong.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Things for the most part are pretty good here but there is that constant stress of things changing overnight.
We are pretty stocked up on TP and cleaning products but still buy them when I see them.
I need to check through the freezers and make a note of what I might need to stock up on.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I did a big shopping trip today at Walmart, and I'm at a point that I don't want to buy any more, except to replace what we use. I've bought things we don't use often, but need those things when we need them. Does that make sense? I made sure to check dates so those items will be in date when we may need them. I'm running out of storage room, frankly.

I need to turn my attention to getting extra butane bottles and batteries in case of a power outage for the winter. I have some water, but need to get some more water, too. I buy it in gallon or 2 1/2 gallon containers, instead of individual bottles, to have on hand for when there's a power outage or the water is off for some reason. Costs less...

I didn't find any jars, lids, or SureJell. I have one package of SureJell, but I don't think it's enough to make all the juice I'll have into jelly. I'll freeze what I don't use and make jelly when more is available. I should have plenty of jars and lids.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I have just gone out to the garage and sorted through the outside freezer. I have enough pork as it has been plentiful in the shops. I will need more chicken, fish and beef and really should stock up on frozen vegetables. I need some more frozen convenience items such as frozen hash browns and french fries too and maybe start looking at icecreams for the Summer. The freezer has quite a bit more room in it now that I have rearranged it so now is the time to stock up.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
I have a stock of vinegar since I clean with it. Dh thought I was nuts until he saw how the price went up during canning season and the shelf was empty. Now I need to work on some pumpkin. Forgot to put it on the list

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Mum did a run to Costco and got a lot of the items that I use, Dish washer pods, garbage bags, spice mix etc. My order shoud keep me going for a while. I have made a shopping list and there are a lot of things that I will grab if they are there tomorrow. The budget may take a hit.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
Interesting on the canning supplies shortage - I guess maybe people who know how but haven't bothered for a long time are taking it back up?

Every time we've gone to Menards we've grabbed the 2 packs of alcohol wipes we're allowed. I think I have 8 packs now? Plus the canisters I had saved up when I could still find them.

Need to get to Sams still! And for a stock up trip to Aldi!!

I ended up getting 4 gallons worth of porch pickles :)

https://flic.kr/p/2jvCLk1
Then I canned a batch of Salsa Verde and another variation of Tomatillo Salsa:

https://flic.kr/p/2jvBCKh
https://flic.kr/p/2jvBCFp

halimer

Premiere Member
Aug 30, 2008
Long Island, NY
AJ - everything looks wonderful!

My DH said that if I find something I need now I should just buy it and not worry about the price. In this world it sounds reasonable.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Debbie, I agree with you DH. My dh has said the same thing. He was just in to tell me he is ordering 5 or 6 boxes of vacuum cleaner filters.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Everytime I try to go to Sam's there is a line to get into the parking garage. One day i'll just try to go after school and see if it's that bad later in the day. We are still stocked on TP but not much else. I had to throw away a 10 gal bag of flour a while back because it had bugs. That hurt to do. I don't have the freezer space to store things like that and my air tight canister isn't that big. I had planned to use it for something and then never did.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Sometimes, putting bay leaves into grain based products keeps bugs out and doesn't change the taste of the flour, meal, grits, etc.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
My DH said that if I find something I need now I should just buy it and not worry about the price. In this world it sounds reasonable.
Debbie, we are they same here. If I see something I need I grab it no matter what the cost. I am nervous about running out of things.
Having said that I am cutting back where I can on other things so that I have money in the bank. It does help that I have not been near a mall for many months so no impulse buys at Target etc.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
My dd, who enjoys baking bread, was very much aware of the yeast shortage this spring and early summer. She heard from other camp counselors that she works with mentioned that the counselors were trying to figure out ways to use up the yeast by today or they would have to throw it out. :eek: (Today was the last day of summer camp.) My dd wisely offered to take the yeast packets if it was going to end up in the trash. I have not seen them yet, but she is the proud owner of yeast now. :D

I am the proud owner now of Clorox Bathroom Disinfecting spray. :D I've been looking for something for my dds to take to college besides the 35 ct. disinfecting wipes they bought a few weeks back. I decided to drive over a few counties to where there are a lot of anti-mask residents figuring they wouldn't be buying Clorox or Lysol products. Bingo! I picked up a bottle to divide among my dds. Now I feel better about sending them off on their own in this most lovely of times. :rolleyes:

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I feel that most MHH members are very canny when it comes to organising and saving money etc. This virus has reminded me that we cannot be wasteful. I boiled too much pasta for a meal I was making. I have saved the pasta and today will make a mac n cheese or a tuna mornay for work this week. We cannot afford to be throwing good food away.