Prepping 2022 holiday meals/treats

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Mince pies I see are filled with minced fruits, apples, raisins. One year at a friends house during the Christmas Holidays she had ordered the meat mince pies. They were great. Not fond of the fruit ones but I can see they would have been a treat when fresh fruit was not available. I made an apple pie from dried apples, once. It was ok but not something I would do again.

Reactions: farmerswife

farmerswife

MHH Member
Oct 14, 2007
Central Wisconsin
Mince pies I see are filled with minced fruits, apples, raisins. One year at a friends house during the Christmas Holidays she had ordered the meat mince pies. They were great. Not fond of the fruit ones but I can see they would have been a treat when fresh fruit was not available. I made an apple pie from dried apples, once. It was ok but not something I would do again.
Thanks, that makes sense, since I don’t think fondant would taste good on a mince meat pie!

Lori K

Premiere Member
Nov 13, 2018
Illinois
The thought of sugar mixed with meat! Yuck!
Yep, it's dried fruit. Definitely a dessert.
My Gram used to have a mock mincemeat pie recipe that used green tomatoes instead of the fruit (or at least some of the fruit). Will need to ask my mom and aunts if anyone still has her recipe. Haven't given this a thought in years. But this brings back good memories.

Reactions: Whusky

PamelaG

Staff member
Premiere Member
May 27, 2011
Washington, the Evergreen State
I forgot you don't have mince pies in the States! I love the one's with icing on the top (I think you guys' call it fondant?).
Yes, fondant would be like the royal icing when it gets hard.
Am I correct in thinking mince pies are the same as Mince meat pie? That is my mom’s favorite pie, so, we always had one at Thanksgiving and Christmas. My grandma would make them.
Yes, mince pies are made with mincemeat - no meat in it, just raisins, apples, sugar, all the good stuff!

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Yes, mince pies are made with mincemeat - no meat in it, just raisins, apples, sugar, all the good stuff!
My Mum makes the best fruit mince pies. Home made pastry and a store bought filling by Robertson's. She sprinkles icing sugar (confectioners sugar on top). They are a real favourite in our family and Mum makes several dozen each year to give as gifts.

Holiday_Mom

Premiere Member
Sep 12, 2009
I've been planning and buying so much since the shortages in 2020 that I think differently now when I buy. I haven't been worried about shortages because we have so much here. We aren't eating like we use to so the food has not been going as quick. We have been eating out of our pantry and freezer since last winter. We finally finished the sugar and flour from the last few years.

I don't think I'll ever stop buying "Family Packs" since most of the time it is cheaper that way. I just bought chicken yesterday for the first time since March. It was $2 a pound then. It was $3 a pound for chicken breasts. Milk has been at $4.75 a gallon and butter is $3.60 a pound. Eggs were $2.90 a dozen.

I used to do the pantry check during the HHP kitchen week but I will probably do that in the next two weeks.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I noticed the potatoes at Walmart have gone up drastically, but found that at the other supermarkets, theirs have not. I suppose it's because it's a commonly bought staple item in the pantry and know you'll buy them at WM since you're already there. :(