Prepping the Pantry

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ejagno

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Aug 31, 2010
SW Louisiana
With our first VERY SHORT LIVED cool front all I could think about was soups, stews and gumbo's for 2. Wow, it's impossible to prepare any of the above for only two. Not a problem. I've broken down my week and started refilling my pantry. I generally let my pantry dwindle down to nothing during hurricane season so that I don't ever have to face losing it all again. Well, hurricane season isn't over for another eight weeks but I decided to jump the gun and begin my canning earlier than usual. My theme this week is gumbo's, soups & chili)
Friday - Canned several quarts of navy bean and ham soup
Saturday - Canned 11 quarts of vegetable beef soup
Today - Canning 10 quarts of taco beef soup
Monday - Canning chicken noodle soup and split pea soup
Tuesday - Canning chicken & sausage gumbo and chicken & okra gumbo
Wednesday - Canning homemade chicken noodle soup and chili
Thursday - Canning seafood gumbo and shrimp & okra gumbo

These are so nice to have on hand to simply pop the top, heat and eat.

Then I move on to a week each of:
Beef
Veggies
Chicken
Breads/Muffins/Cakes/Corn breads in jars
Pork
Sauces/Syrups/Jellies/Condiments

On busy days it sure beats opening up the door to a hundred various cans, jars and boxes that when combined and alot of time create a beautiful meal. A little preplanning and that meal is already put together and ready to eat.

Are their any other wonderful canners out there? This lost art has saved me so much time in the kitchen.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Gosh Ellen, that sure sounds wonderful. What a jump start you have to your winter prep. Well done.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I did buy the big pressure canner a few years back but only canned a few things. Spaghetti sauce and beans a few times and porck once. It does take longer to do but then it is fun to just open a can. I think I'm lacking the discipline. In fact I'm not quite good at it... wish you lived closer I'd go see how you do it and then I'd be ready to go.
I would like to can some sphagetti sauce again before Christmas though.
I just love the way you are doing it all... ha! my kids would be so happy if all of that was done ;) they'd come and fill up at mom's :)

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
That list is pretty inspiring. I don't know anything about canning but the thought of having all those meals in the pantry rather than in the freezer sounds might appealing. I'm ramping up for prepping the freezer. Am going to have to go hunt the recipe threads to see if you've posted any of those soup recipes. Right now my family is STARVING because I haven't done the food prep for the season. Not really, but they really eat well when I prep all this in advance. So much better than cooking on busy weekdays.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
I am now inspired to look through all of my Recipe books and my Pintrest folders and start stockpiling some summer foods. Would also like to be prepared for the autumn and winter 2018 so might start looking at some recipes for then.