Presents bought last January Paying Off

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
I have to tell you all- Last January I hit all kinds of 75% off sales and got a TON of stuff.

Well, those things have sure paid off at work this morning! I simply pulled out my bin last night and put presents together for all my co-workers. They look so elegant and classy and cost me, literally cents in some cases.

I'm so thankful for OC and now this site in helping me to think ahead and prepare!!!

Anyone else having OC pay-off experiences?

Annie

johnasmom

Retire Member
Dec 18, 2007
Central Michigan
I did the same thing. I bought a lot of Christmas items last year and they have come in handy for the "treats" that the elves have left for my kids. They have been here since the 2nd and I have had enough things in "storage" that I have only added the candy canes and cookies. I have worked around everything that I got last year and the kids are none the wiser!! :haha:

Gingerbug

Administrator
MHH Admin
Oct 9, 2007
Missouri, USA
YES YES YES.....DD was able to give her friends gifts by "shopping" in the gift closet, I did all my Secret Santa that way as well as several other gifts also.

I really urge you to shop clearance ALL year long...after Valentines Day in particular you can pick up jewlery that is very nice but there are also other items that if you think a bit can be combined to make nice baskets etc. I plan on shoppiong after every holiday and season and also check clearnce aisle ferequently. It really pays off in NICE gifts for people at a good price for me.

santashelper

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
NS,CAN.
What kinds of things do you buy to use as gifts?

I would like to do this, but tend to give gifts specific to the person and I don't want to end up with a bunch of stuff that I am not going to use. I won't save any money that way.

jackfrosty

Santa's Elves
I'm actually looking at making a master gift list for next year so I can get started with the sales! I love the wrapping paper idea! Although i may adapt it for gift bags. And I also love the scratch ticket Christmas tree idea-both ideas from Holiday Magic genius'!

grace

Retire Member
Nov 5, 2007
santashelper said:
What kinds of things do you buy to use as gifts?

I would like to do this, but tend to give gifts specific to the person and I don't want to end up with a bunch of stuff that I am not going to use. I won't save any money that way.
Usually generic gifts--candles from Yankee candle, soaps from Bath and Body Works, that sort of thing. If you only have a limited list and don't need hostess gifts or little remembrances for teachers and neighbors, it probably would not work for you.

KimD

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
CNY
While looking for a lost present today (which was one of the only things youngest dd asked for which I did find) I found stuff that I bought back in Jan for my SIL so I have extra stuff for her now. I really need to start writing what I have down sooner.

Last year I bought the big gift baskets of bath products on clearance from WalMart and I took out all the soaps and creams and such and stored the basket away for another gift. When you take it apart you get rid of all that excess packing products they put in them and then the "gift" stretces further as your own personal standby stash!!!!!!

Holiday Joy

MHH Member
Nov 4, 2007
I bought some NordicWare Christmas pancake pans last year for 75% off, thanks to a tipster on the OC boards! I added some gourmet pancake mix and a bottle of pure maple syrup for some great Christmas Morning Breakfast boxes for niece, nephews and families! But in the bottom of my gift closet I still have some cute things I bought with no one in mind. They're nice, cute, decorative or useful, but unless I have a recipient in mind, they sometimes become yard sale goods.

I guess I'm too scatterbrained to buy much ahead and remember what it is, where it is, even if I write it down (I'll reorganize and then forget to note the new hiding place). I have enough stocking stuffers to stuff every sock in the neighborhood, it seems ::eek:rnament:

Last year I bought some Christmas candy at 10 cents on the dollar to save for this year-- I was so excited about crossing this off my list! But DS11 got into it and ATE IT ALL. He definitely made it to Santa's Naughty list for that one.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Babyelf-

Like others that have already posted, for co-workers I used candle votives that I had bought at Bath & Bodyworks. I lined a box (also bought at B & B) with tissue paper, put in two candle votives and two candles in the votives. I also added a room spray (Pear scented) to the box.

I also bought these Santa figurines that open at the base. And I bought Santa pins ($1.00) and put them in the base.

For co-workers that are good friends outside of work as well, I will get them a more personal gift. But I also exchange birthday gifts with them so I don't feel like their Christmas gift doesn't have to be as personalized.

Bath stuff, candles, all that make good co-worker, or general acquaintace gifts.

Annie

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Hmmmm ... I might have to try this idea out. I'm not much of a shopper, but finding sale items right after Christmas ( and other holidays) as suggested sounds pretty good. I have a "Christmas Account Fund" and I actually have some money left! So, I could do this! We have to put a little away each check for Christmas fund and usually I don't start buying till fall. Although, I buy and make things a little earlier ... crochet stuff.

Anyone else have specific Christmas Money Accounts? :grin:

scn

Retire Member
Oct 14, 2007
Northeast PA
I bought the christmas pancake pan to. thanks to oc MY neice loved it. I put some christmas mugs, pancake mixes blueberry strawberry and regular syrup with some other items I bought after christmas last year. We exchange christmas eve so they had there pancakes christmas morning.
I buy the christmas candles, snowglobes the musical stuff and give at work
I buy the toys at 75% off and put away for toys for tots

chrisaholic

Retire Member
Nov 24, 2007
Newfoundland, Canada
I shop all year long for Christmas. I got all of my Secret Santa presents from my closet of items that I picked up throughout the year. My daughter goes to my closet to find gifts for the her friends or little add on gifts to go with the main gift that she has bought. In fact...I bought my first gift for next year yesterday. I bought my sister a santa (she collects them) at 50% off. It's the only way to shop.