Problem getting onMHH

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Hi Ginger & Jeff,

Just received this message from happy2bme (Mel)

I am having trouble getting into MHH. It started out by saying File Not Found after I logged in and now it is just coming up with advertising pop ups.
Can you check it out? Thanks!

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Hi Ginger & Jeff,

I am back on, but not sure what happened.

I was in the middle of sending a PM and when I went to submit it, I got the message "File not found". I tried several times to send the message, but kept getting the "File not found" message on a blank screen.

I exited the site and tried going back in and all I got was advertising pop ups all over the screen.

My computer does a complete scan every day and nothing ever comes up. I did another scan right after this happened and there were no issues.

I don't know if it is a coincidence that after that scan was done I was able to get back on here, but things seem ok for now.

I am not sure if this is worth checking into from your end or if it was just one of those fluke things.

Thank you Lucie, for letting Ginger & Jeff know what was going on.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Following this post, Mel can't get back on :( So please continue to check it out

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
I have finally been able to get back on.

The advertising pop ups are showing up every time I try get to the site.

Another scan was done on my computer this evening and something showed up. DD says it was some sort of browser modifier - I have no idea what that means.

I will keep scanning on a daily basis to see what happens. I have no idea if the problem is with my computer or the site.

I hope someone gets a chance to figure it out.

Jeff Westover

MHH Maintenance Dept.
Staff member
MHH Admin
Sep 7, 2009
Cache Valley, Utah
mymerrychristmas.com
Sorry. First I've seen of this is right now and it's because someone posted something similar on Facebook. I've scanned the site this morning and so far have found nothing, both internally and externally.

This software driving the forums is out dated and Ginger and I have talked of replacing it. Even though things are coming back "clean" I no longer trust it completely.

I will check this out but so far, I got nothing. I appreciate folks letting me know it is happening.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Thanks, Jeff.

I appreciate you checking into it.

tanya

Premiere Member
Jan 8, 2012
I had exactly the same thing yesterday. This is the second time that this has happened to me. My computer came back clean when I scanned it. Last time this happened Jeff left a link to the site on the facebook page. I searched through all the posts on the facebook page until I found it and this link let me back in. Using the bookmark I had would not work. Also when I did a general search for the site and tried to get on that way, it would revert to the advertising site. I checked downforeveryoneorjustme and it said the site was ok. I only use a pretty general scan for adware, virus etc... so its possible that it did not pick up any thing.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Couldn't get on today.... scanned using malwarebytes, cccleaner, adaware, ... nothing works. Luckily Lisa gave me another address and now I can get on! I kept having ads instead of the site

Jeff Westover

MHH Maintenance Dept.
Staff member
MHH Admin
Sep 7, 2009
Cache Valley, Utah
mymerrychristmas.com
I hear what everyone is saying. But I want to be clear here -- your anti-virus likely isn't going to pick this up because it has hijacked your browser. Internet Explorer, Firefox and to a lesser extent Chrome are all suspect.

What I want everyone to understand who is experiencing this problem is that you cannot just let this go. You've got to purge it from your system. Check out this article and read what you need to do.

While I've scanned this whole server and am confident we do not have any malicious code that doesn't mean this stuff didn't spread some other way. This is a forum, a public venue -- it could be hidden in a link someone has posted or in a picture. It could have come from the FB page. WE MAY NEVER KNOW. It would be nice to isolate and negate the source but that might not be an option to us because this could be coming from another site entirely and we're just innocent victims.

I've been working on this all weekend. I will continue to work on this. But for those of you affected, do not wait to fix your computers. If you cannot get here through normal means you have a problem on your system and it will in time destroy it's usability if you don't take action now.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
I don't know if this has anything to do with our problems, but there are a couple in welcome that seem out of place - one with a link...
jasmynroi - a link about emoticons
yobored
svenjeff is in budgets and bargains with a link to buy Christmas trees

I thought we weren't supposed to use this site to sell anything.

Thanks, Jeff!

svenjeff

Retire Member
I can assure you that my website is clean and has nothing to do with your problems. Here you can check it out with an independent source for malware scanning of your choice. I am giving you the query on Google just to avoid any misunderstanding that I am providing malicious links...

https://www.google.com/search?q=scan+urls+for+viruses

It's certainly an client side issue, I have not encountered any problems with the website. I will let you know, if I learn something more about the problem. Cheers!

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL
Just reading all this now. Yes, yesterday in the middle of being on MHH forum, I clicked to go to another page and it said something like, "Error 404 forbidden ..."

Anyway, I'm reading the article on what to do.

Thanks, Jeff.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm in!! I've been locked out since the day before Thanksgiving. Exactly the same drill as Mel and Tanya. Happened as I was trying to post to HHP thread. I hit "Go Advanced" to check what I had written before posting and that is when everything went haywire. I was using Safari. I could get elsewhere on my computer after a complete shutdown but not to any links on this site, even coming in through Google. Didn't I think of Facebook.

Should I get locked out again in the future, is there a rescue email we can keep in our address books so that we can ask for help without going through the site? Is Facebook the best for that?

For me I dumped the cookies and temp files, ran system scans, and completely updated the software on my Mac. And nope - still couldn't get in. but I could use it on other sites once I did a complete shutdown and avoided this site. This is the first I've gotten back in..