Progressive Holiday Dinner

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Laney

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
St. Louis, MO
My friend's husband is leaving for bootcamp on Nov. 9th for almost 5 months. She wanted to do a party for him before he leaves and after a lot of thought we decided it would be neat to do a progressive dinner party - holiday style. That way he would get to celebrate each of the holidays with his family before he leaves!

So we'll have a house for Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, Valentine's Day, St. Patrick's Day and Easter. How fun will that be?!?

So give me some help here! What kind of things do you think we should do? Should we do like a traditional progressive dinner and serve a whole meal with a different course at each house? or do the holiday appropriate heavy appetizers/desserts at each house? Would you like to go to a party like this??

~Laney :)

dreamto

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
That is an AWESOME idea!!!!!! I would love to go to a dinner like that! You could make a list of the favorite foods from each holiday. If it leans toward dinner food then do it as a progressive dinner, if it leans more toward the snack stuff go with that. Personally to me a dinner would be best if you could plan it out.

keep us posted as to what you decide!

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
I would love to go to a party like this :) I like the idea of a progressive dinner - have never attended one myself.

I sorta like the idea of each home have a different holiday focus.

Interested in hearing how you work it out!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
That sounds like a great party! I would do it in courses....and do the holidays in sequence and serves something from that holiday that is usually served as that course. KWIM?

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Love this idea!

I would do Christmas as the main course or Easter (whichever he favors more and then have the other be appetizer). New Year's could be the appetizer or a special ****tail/mingling hour instead of food, Valentine's and St. Patrick's more of a dessert theme (heart cookies or cake, golden coins with hats and a pot of gold).

Kim Loves Snow

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richmond, Virginia
I agree with Lisa - I think it would be way too much to eat if you tried to do a lot of food for each holiday. Find out what the guest of honors favorites are for each holiday and go from there. The person hosting that holiday could do a table centerpiece that donotes the holiday. It will be fun. Keep us posted on the planning.

Colleen in PA

Retire Member
Aug 20, 2008
Fabulous idea! Don't forget, some holidays might lend themselves to beverages without a huge need for food...beer on St. Pat's day? A Toast for New Years? It doesn't have to be alcoholic...rootbeer and sparkling cider can work for adults &/or kids.

Or one of the holidays/homes could do an activitiy related to that holiday to give everyone a chance to digest! (Tree trimming, egg hunt, etc.)

Please keep us posted. I am fascinated by this idea!

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I'm right there with you...Keep them coming. I agree with New Years as an appetizer, Valentines or Easter for Desert, Thanksgiving and Christmas main course and St. Patricks Day, could be a variety of irish breads and maybe soups..or the alcohol option for those that do drink. Love It!

caitsmum

Retire Member
Nov 6, 2008
Bedfordshire England
I think this is a BRILLIANT idea! :)

How about making a whole day of it though rather than just a dinner? That way you have more chance to get all the holidays in as snacks and lunch and/or activities, and more time to visit with family, create memories and take photos!

Just a thought!
AM

Grammyk

Retire Member
Jan 14, 2008
I'm thinking there could be a SuperBowl House also, and this could be set up with photographer and some fun games to end the evening. Sounds like a great play house to house and friend to friend. He is truely blessed.

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
What a thoughtful idea.

I once went to a Birthday Party for a guy who was overseas. He of course wasn't there. We recorded the event, gave him greetings and opened our present we had wrapped all on camera. It was so much fun. We re-wrapped our gifts, boxed them along with a cake mix and the recording to send to him.

foxpaw

Retire Member
Oct 13, 2007
Love the idea..have always wanted to go to a progressive dinner...sounds great with a lot of ideas here..can't wait to hear what you decide to do.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
I like Caitsmom idea of a whole day celebrating. You could do an Easter brunch. For St. Patricks maybe do some Kareoke (sp?) while serving beverages and snacks. Have Christmas dinner. A New Years theme serving dessert is a great idea to end the festivities with. I can't wait to hear what you decide.

Ahorsesoul I remember you telling us about that. I bet he was very happy.

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
This morning I had another thought. Instead of Christmas for dinner, Thanksgiving have the dinner and for the Christmas theme, everyone can hand out their gift to the honoree wrapped in Christmas paper sitting under a small Christmas tree.

Like I said, "Just a thought." :)

Laney

Retire Member
Jan 5, 2008
St. Louis, MO
So, here's an update:

I was talking to my friend and we were trying to work out the logistics of it and I'm not sure it would work unless we were literally making this a whole day long event. To cover that many holidays and travel time between houses, it would just be too much. So I think she is going to do a "Happy Everything" party where it is all one house, but it celebrates everything. So there will be decorations of all sorts and such. I think it will be fun! Still some planning to do - I'll let you know as we continue to pan things out!