Prom Menu 2014

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
This will be something totally new for me. I've never done an event that wanted only desserts. I've done a lot of research and I think I'm pretty set on what I'll serve. I'm excited to get to experiment with a new form of creativity. I have had to keep in mind that these are teenagers (from a rural setting), so that has made me think more along the lines of what teens like to eat thus it is a little less sophisticated than it would be for an adult event.

Cupcakes:
Red velvet
White wedding cake flavor
Turtle
Just chocolate with chocolate icing
All of these will have a piped center filling except the red velvet.

"Shot" desserts that will be served in 2 oz.(or possibly 5 oz.) hard plastic wine glasses. All of these are layer desserts that will display nicely.
Banana pudding
Strawberry shortcake
Brownie Trifle

Truffles:
Oreo balls
Peanut butter balls
Chocolate (some with mint flavoring, others with rum)
Orange

Mini Cheesecakes:
Blueberry
Cherry
Strawberry

Rice Krispies Treats (some will be partially dipped in chocolate, white and milk, with sprinkles)

Cookies:
Chocolate chip
Peanut butter

Fresh Fruit:
Grapes
Pineapple
Cherries (maraschino)
Strawberries

Thought with all the sweet, they would need some salty to counter it....so....

Dipped pretzel rods

Peanut butter filled pretzel bites

Cheese-its

Nuts

Lemonade, Water, Sweet Tea

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
They are going to love this.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
I was reading down the list and just about where I got to "I would need something salty now" you added the pretzels, cheese-its and nuts!

What a wonderful assortment. There is something for everyone and it all sounds mouthwatering.

Do you think this will be less work than the proms with the regular food? How many kids attend?

I like the layered desserts in the shot glasses too.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
That is quite a menu!! they will have tons of choices. I love it all! When we went to Vegas we ate a hotel with a whole section of desserts.. it was awesome! We took pictures of it all because it was incredible... just like your selection.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Thanks, Diedra! I was hoping it sounded like a good variety of flavors. The only thing I don't have is coconut, but in cooking at school with the kids, I've found they do not like coconuts or any kind of nut in anything.

Lucie, I'll try to post pictures after I get it all set up and have time. I've tried posting prom pictures each year and they were too big. I don't know how to fix that.

Robin, I don't know if it will be less work, but I think there will be more that I can do ahead of time making it seem like less work. I will transport a lot of this in cardboard boxes and throw them out!

The truffles can be made 2 weeks ahead. The cupcakes can be made ahead and frozen, then thawed before icing. Rice Krispy treats and cheesecakes can be made 2-3 days ahead. So can the pudding for the layered shots.

There are usually 225-275 people.

Miss JoDee

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Apr 22, 2011
Gurnee, IL
Jane the menu looks awesome and am sure it will taste delicious.
Are you planning on making everything bite size? I just think of the students in their formal clothing and wanting to pop something in their mouth quickly or will they be sitting with their food? How about another cookie with spice in it like snicker doodle or a soft molasses. I have a really good recipe for a sweet and spice cookie. Just some thoughts.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
Jodee, everything will be bite size. Only the shot desserts will require silverware. There are round tables set up that they can sit at if they would like to, but a lot of them just mill around enjoying one another's company. They also have a DJ and dance, so you're right, they can just pop them in their mouth and go on doing whatever without the hassle of a plate and silverware.

I hadn't thought about a spice cookie option. I would love for you to share!

teachermomof2

Santa's Elves
Premiere Member
Oct 27, 2007
PA
Sounds great! I would like that menu as an adult! ;0)

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
they sound fabulous and I could picture them all they will look so fun and festive displayed. Be sure to take pictures.

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Jane- Sounds wonderful! Can't wait to hear of your preperations and the final outcome!

Annie