Prompts for writing/thinking/chatting...

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
Hi all! I wanted to start the new year with some new prompts for discussion. Every few weeks for as long as I am able (as in, until this baby comes!), I will write a few things for you to ponder. They are meant to help you evaluate your thoughts and plans for life and maybe motivate you to action.

January 3, 2011-

1. Many people make resolutions or goals for the new year. Some keep them, some don't, and some refuse to make them. Think of your goals for life in general, and ones you have had in the past. If you could do anything knowing you could not fail, what would it be? Dream big! What is standing in your way of accomplishing that feat? What can you do to move yourself toward meeting that goal? More than one big dream? Please share!

2. Sometimes smaller, more immediate goals are easier to attain and can give almost instant gratification. What do you resolve to do for the day or week that you may have been putting off? Once you have done it, let us know how it made you feel.

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
I recently read that about 2/3 of people do not make New Years Resolutions... or goals....... but it CAN be a helpful little memory-jogger thing.......

Last year, I set a few goals. (1) To get in better shape (2) To get better control of the money stuff and (3) to get the house MORE decluttered. And... I had a satisfactory amount of progress on ALL THREE! Notice... the goals were "to make progress"... there was no real "end point" or "finish line". But... there was definite impovement!

So... I will build on those three goals this year, too!

PLUS... I am going to add a Fourth Goal. For a big work project!

MissBrittany... I am grateful for your gifts to us of encouragement!!!

Last edited:

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Thank you, Miss Brittany!

Annie

girlsinmo

Premiere Member
Jan 1, 2008
MO
Brittany I think at this point in my life my big dream is to be happier with my life. To be more positive also. I'm working on my Happiness Project to accomplish this goal. The little things we do add up. Today I've manage to reframe little annoyances(sp) or in other words look for the good.

BTW I hope to learn to crochet this year. And to do some simple little quilts....

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
January 24, 2011-

1. What kind of hobbies do you enjoy? How did you become interested in them? How much time do you spend each day or week on them? Does your family share the same interests?

2. Does your hobby connect you to the online world, such as in forums like MHH? Does the Internet help you expand your participation in your interests, or do you find it takes up time that could be better spent in participation? What related websites have you found particularly helpful, if any?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
January 24, 2011-

1. What kind of hobbies do you enjoy? How did you become interested in them? How much time do you spend each day or week on them? Does your family share the same interests?
I like crocheting (but not doing much because my wrists hurt), I like crafting and reading. Mom always crafted and I guess I picked that up from her. I don't have a fix time on them. I do read daily (or almost) and craft a little on weekends. These interets are mine & mine only.

2. Does your hobby connect you to the online world, such as in forums like MHH? Does the Internet help you expand your participation in your interests, or do you find it takes up time that could be better spent in participation? What related websites have you found particularly helpful, if any
Yes, I found this site when looking for ways to organize my Christmas. People here have tons of ideas for organizing and for crafts AND are wonderful people who have become my friends. Yes I do spend time here... but I'd say it's time I'm taking off my reading so it's ok.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008

I love to scrapbook, but have been alot slower at doing so lately. Seems I only really scrapbook at retreats anymore. I'd love to change that, but I find myself wanting to craft more these days. I'll never stop scrapbooking, but I miss making things in general. I also love to read magazines and collect recipes. I'm a big cook, so I consider that a hobby. I like to try new recipes, especially baking recipes!

2. Does your hobby connect you to the online world, such as in forums like MHH? Does the Internet help you expand your participation in your interests, or do you find it takes up time that could be better spent in participation? What related websites have you found particularly helpful, if any?

My love for organizing and holidays definately has taken me online and now I'm trying to give back a bit online with my own blogs. My MHH and the other online forum are a definate part of my day. Without them I feel a little lost. I love the constant flow of info and ideas!

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
February 28, 2011-

1. What are some traditions that your family participates in each year? These can be for any season or occasion. How did they start and with whom? Have they stayed the same or have you altered or adapted them at all?

2. Are there any traditions you no longer enjoy or should drop? Has anything become a chore or something you do out of obligation but with no joy? Is there any way to resolve that situation?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
1. What are some traditions that your family participates in each year? These can be for any season or occasion. How did they start and with whom? Have they stayed the same or have you altered or adapted them at all?

Going out in a horse-drawn cart on new year's eve. It was so much fun. Ride of about 1hr. We had nice temps 0C to -30C... quite a difference. It was after the big supper and before the buffet so it was a good way to make a change from being in the overheated house. We'd bring a radio and some 'drinks'.

Over - the gentleman who did this stopped this year. 1 horse died and he can't leave his mother alone anymore.

2. Are there any traditions you no longer enjoy or should drop? Has anything become a chore or something you do out of obligation but with no joy? Is there any way to resolve that situation?
Yep, New Year's eve supper. I don't mind the buffet in the evening but the supper has become a chore and I DO NOT enjoy it anymore. Too much running around. I have visitors that arrive a few days prior so I have to feed them & prepare for the NY's eve supper where I invite DH's family along with mine. Just too much to do on that day (even with advanced preparation). No fun. After supper tons of dishes... I have to talk to dh about this... I'd like to do the evening only. I have to talk to dh because it's his family that gets flushed for supper since mine will be here in advance. But it doesn't have to be a big thing with my family and it's much easier ... no picky eaters!!

SparkleNana

Jan 3, 2008
These are great questions! AND... this is a great thread! I think it is very helpful to THINK about things like these.... at times when we are NOT exhausted/stressed/caught up with Christmas Madness/Joy!!!

1) How about traditions that you do SOME years? For example..... on years when Hanukkah is at about the same time in December as Christmas....... some beloved extended-family members come up from Florida to spend that time here, with their grandchildren. During these times.... dh and I have given a "brunch" for ALL the extended family. Our house is the smallest house... among all the relatives who live around here. So... a Brunch works best. People serve themselves from a replenished buffet.... and can come and go as their schedules permit!

I need to check the December 2011 calendar. I think that those holidays overlap this year. All of the extended family give delicious, lavish meals when they entertain. And... they entertain frequently. (They are also all much more wealthy than we are.) Still... dh and I want these Brunches to be wonderful. So...... we include lox, cream cheese and bagels on the menu. Lox are really expensive! AND... it is something that dh and I both want to do. SO: I will set up a special savings account for this (expensive) Christmas entertaining!

2) Customs that you no longer enjoy or should drop? Let's include traditions set up... and then life situations have changed! For example. dh and I had Christmas dinner here for many many years. Now that dd has two older children AND a 2-year old.... she prefers to do the actual dinner at her house. (With us bringing lots of the food.) That is fine with us! And if.... in the future... it becomes easier/better for dd to move the dinner back here.. that is fine for us!!!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
1. Probably the first one I think of is my DS birthday. It's always a lobster dinner made by me. I think we all enjoy this. It's a tradition to open our gifts on Christmas Eve and do nothing on Christmas Day. I've told DS that I do not even care if it's on Christmas Eve. Once he has a family I am willing to be move doing this on another day. He (right now) feels it needs to be on Christmas Eve.

2. One tradition we no longer do is DS half-Birthday party. Since his birthday is on NYE we always would have a half birthday party in June. A few years ago I told him this was the last one I was doing. I think once in your 30s the half birthday can go. lol

Strange how most of the traditions are to do with DS. I think DD with her brain injury she isn't into traditions. She enjoys it all no matter what we do.

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
March 14, 2011-

1. When is the last time you cleaned out your purse or wallet? What about your desk? Take some time to go through these places... does anything surprise you? If you are like me, you have expired coupons, forgotten gift cards and bills that need to be filed away. While you are weeding out, consider... is there anything you can ADD to your wallet or desk to make your life easier?

2. What is the most significant thing you have found during a cleaning or purge? I cleaned out my desk yesterday only to find the sole copy of the marriage vows I wrote to my husband. I hadn't been missing them necessarily, but what a happy moment in rediscovering and rereading them!

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Now that everything is out of your purse, snap a photo of your purse and everything in it. Wouldn't you love to have a photo of your grandmother's purse and belongings? This is a photo for the future generations.

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
Now that everything is out of your purse, snap a photo of your purse and everything in it. Wouldn't you love to have a photo of your grandmother's purse and belongings? This is a photo for the future generations.

So funny that you write that... I'm actually carrying one of my grandmother's purses right now! She loves a particular brand, buys them when they go on sale, and loans them out to her granddaughters. :) Staples for her purse include hard candies, a bottle of water, clean tissues and a stack of sales flyers.