question for our friends in the southern hemisphere

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Out of the blue this morning DH asked what Christmas was like for Australia and other warm places. Is Santa in his winter coat? Still ride the sleigh? Do you watch our child weathered Christmas movies with all the show? Sing White Christmas? I'm interested to hear how we do things the same and differently.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
What a good question!

I don't live in Austrailia but in Florida and coming from the Northeast, it was a big adjustment, although I love it.

The first year we were down here, I remember driving to go Christmas shopping at night in early December thinking to myself, "when will I be able to turn off the a/c in the car". We don't usually get a cold snap until January, but one year it was chilly in December and I hated it, lol. Temps in the 60's is cool enough for me.

It was weird for me to see "snowy" decorations, but everyone down here puts up snowmen and Santa and everything else. They have lighted boat parades in December. Our trees and plants are still green, and we still have flowers blooming in the winter. I love the outside lights against the plants.

I do my baking wearing shorts and a t-shirt, and Christmas morning we are usually in shorts too. I've had the a/c going with a houseful of guests on Christmas eve.

I love all the Christmas movies and songs about wintry weather. I love living in a place where it is bright and sunny, and green and colorful all year long. I can't take the cold anymore (circulation problems). I've adapted to the warm climate. I have wonderful memories of snowy Christmas times so I always can remember.

I'd love to hear the other gals from Australia and their take on having Christmas in the actual "Summer".

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Robin - A/C going on Christmas Eve - I can't even imagine!!

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Mel - The worst thing about the a/c is that it really messes up the tinsel on my Christmas tree, lol.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
I'm in FL. 33 yrs. and we go all out for Christmas, here's my slideshow from last yr. and we add to it each yr. this year is no exception! music added for your viewing pleasure.
http://youtu.be/OP8lfLkwHSU

those are some great photos! I like the lights around the doors and such.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Sugarplum thank you for the info! love to know how it works down in the South.

Puternut... wow!! you go all out! love all the lights :)

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Christmas in AUSTRALIA........

Santa still wears his red suit with long trousers, and big warm coat Once though, I am sure I saw him wearing shorts and a hawaiian shirt.

We still sing all the classic carols such as Silent Night, Jingle Bells and my favorite "Oh Holy Night", after all who does not love a classic carol.

We love to decorate with snowmen and penguins and all the wintery things that you in the snowy areas use. I guess we haven't come up with anything we like as much yet.

For lunch/dinner, some people still have a traditional hot meal of roast meats and vegetables, and fruit pudding.

My family have cold roasted turkey, beef, chicken and ham that we cook the day before and serve cold, along with salads such as asparagus with bacon and a sour cream dressing, pasta salad, corn salad and potato salad. For dessert we have hot pudding with threepences in it, ice cream cakes and trifle. For drinks we have sparkling cider and a fruit punch.

Alot of our traditions come from the fact that a lot of our ancestors originated from Britain and we continue these traditions. When I was growing up it was always a hot meal at Christmas because my dad liked that, but after he passed away we made things easier on ourselves and came up with what we have now.

It is still a very special time, we put out water and carrots for the reindeer to eat, we give Santa biscuits and a cool drink of juice, or soft drink.
We get up very early and open our gifts with as much excitement as any one else. we eat, have an afternoon nap, sit outside in the sun, and then have dinner.

Some people go to the beach on Christmas day but we do not have a beach near us, so we have never done that.

On boxing day, we get together for another meal, much more casual and we eat left overs and the Christmas nuts go through their notebooks to make note of what worked and what we can change for next year.

Hope this gives you a little hint of what Christmas is like in the southern hemisphere

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
One day I am going to celebrate Christmas on the beaches of Australia! It sounds so fun.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
One day I would like a white Christmas, gorgeous. A girl can dream.

ChristmasPir8

Premiere Member
Nov 8, 2008
La La Land
Thanks Katrina for answering I could have googled it but much rather hear it from someone I know that lives it.

Christmaslvr

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
Sebastian, FL
What a good question!

I don't live in Austrailia but in Florida and coming from the Northeast, it was a big adjustment, although I love it.

The first year we were down here, I remember driving to go Christmas shopping at night in early December thinking to myself, "when will I be able to turn off the a/c in the car". We don't usually get a cold snap until January, but one year it was chilly in December and I hated it, lol. Temps in the 60's is cool enough for me.

It was weird for me to see "snowy" decorations, but everyone down here puts up snowmen and Santa and everything else. They have lighted boat parades in December. Our trees and plants are still green, and we still have flowers blooming in the winter. I love the outside lights against the plants.

I do my baking wearing shorts and a t-shirt, and Christmas morning we are usually in shorts too. I've had the a/c going with a houseful of guests on Christmas eve.

I love all the Christmas movies and songs about wintry weather. I love living in a place where it is bright and sunny, and green and colorful all year long. I can't take the cold anymore (circulation problems). I've adapted to the warm climate. I have wonderful memories of snowy Christmas times so I always can remember.

I'd love to hear the other gals from Australia and their take on having Christmas in the actual "Summer".

Hi Robin! We moved to Cocoa Beach last year (from Southern CA but are from NJ) I am having a hard time getting use to these temps for most of the year...last year just didn't "feel" like Christmas, I really miss the cooler temps (cooler, not COLD!...and while I miss the snow, I never want to shovel it or drive in it again! lol)

We live right on the Banana River and last year's boat parade was pretty awesome!

I guess I just have to get my mind around it because we won't be moving again any time soon! Last year wasn't a good Christmas for us but I'm planning on going all out this year so hopefully it won't take long to get in the spirit, even if the temps are warmer.

Sugarplum

MHH Member
Jan 4, 2013
Florida
Hi Nancy,

I'm originally from the Jersey Shore. We love Cocoa Beach!

It definitely takes a while to get used to the changes but I'd rather be putting up the lights outside in shorts and t-shirts for sure!

Sounds like Christmas in Southern California would be awesome too.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
It really doesn't matter where we live or how we celebrate, the common theme here is Christmas magic, good food, family, friends, and a genuine love for Christmas.
It is the most wonderful time of the year, no matter where we are.

angelpugs

MHH Member
Oct 2, 2009
north adams ma.
As I agree it's about the warmth of friends and family,as I live in the Berkshires and yes we get plenty of snow and cold but,the beauty that surrounds you makes it all worthwhile,i would never leave here.The town where I live is like something out of a norman Rockwell painting the shops are all adorned with lights,the sleighrides and hot chocolate which are all free,the caroling,just the warmth don't care how old I get i'll stay right here at home.:fireplace:

Ahorsesoul

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
In front of my computer
Gas up the MHH bus we are all heading out to Angelpugs.

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
Angelpugs, the way you describe you village sounds like heaven on earth to a Christmas soul. Enjoy all that the season has to offer.

Save me a seat on the bus!!