Re-arranging bulk packaged foods from Costco

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I'm having a pantry problem. We do a lot of shopping in bulk from Costco and for the most part I'm pretty organized about arranging it all in my pantry. I remove all cans and bottles etc from their containers and line up the individual products neatly on the shelves like little soldiers. BUT when it comes to things like cereals, goldfish crackers (and all snack items in a household with kids) I do not have a way of containing these neatly. Those come in a big box filled with bags that are the equivalent of bags inside a cereal box. Lumpy and far from uniform. And there's normally 3 large bags of "whatever" in a box. I would like to get rid of the outside packaging so I have more room, but then how to neatly store the frumpy-lumpy-shlumpy looking bags inside of it? Anyone figured out a system for this?

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
I use plastic tubs (tupperware or other), it's easier to arrange and keeps the bugs out (just in case).

cipalla

Retire Member
Oct 22, 2007
PA
I have gotten into the lock and lock storage containers, love them. you can get them in any size you may need for your pantry and they seal tight.

happy2bme

Premiere Member
Oct 18, 2007
My Happy Place
Large glass jars would work too, if you have any.

Winged One

Retire Member
Sep 2, 2008
Fluttering happily in the clouds!!
For me, it would depend on what's in the packages. Are they individually wrapped snacks, or loose things, like chips, cereals, dried fruits etc? And do you have lots of different ones or multiple packs of the same thing?

I'd be another going with plastic or glass containers. If the goods inside the plastic wrappers are individually wrapped at all, I'd break them out and stack them up in large cannisters. If they are loose, I'd get maybe a large plastic storage box for the packages, and then 1 nice cannister for the pack that you have open, removing the contents from it's plastic wrapper at that stage.

Kilner jars can be good fcor these things.
Large packages could use a more "storage" type box with a lid, that could go on a low down shelf, or even get stacked on the floor.

MissBrittany

Santa's Elves
Aug 25, 2008
Florida
If you absolutely can't keep them in the boxes (which are the easiest things to stack and store), try baskets. Walmart has lots of sizes, and you can organize by item type.

jinglemom

Retire Member
Oct 16, 2007
I too use containers. I use a certain number for each type of food (2 each for crackers and cookies, 4 for cereal etc.) Once the containers are filled, nothing new gets opened unless it can go into a container. I usually store extras somewhere else so my kids will eat what is opened first, but otherwise I would put those items in a large basket or container on the floor of the pantry closet. One idea I have seen for small snack type packages is to put them in a clear over the door shoe organizer hung on the inside of the pantry door.

luludou

Premiere Member
Dec 28, 2007
Québec - Canada
Jinglemom I love the idea of the clear shoe bag! Won't work here because I have folding doors for the pantry but I still think it's a great idea.

Cindylouwho

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Great ideas! And I love Lock and Locks too! My situation is mulitple packages of the same things(Ex: 3 huge Costco packages of Wheat Thins which would cost me the same as one pr 2 small boxes at the Grocery Store). I'm liking the idea of a couple big Lock & Locks for the extra bags and then not buying any more of that kind of product (snacks and cereal) until there is room in those boxes. I do that with canned good and it works SO well! Keeps me from buying more than I need. Hadn't considered opening the packages and transferring the whole kit and kaboodle into a container. I guess a Lock and Lock would keep them fresh, wouldn't they. That would look even nicer, but would it keep them as fresh? Lock and Locks are REALLY good, but.... Hmmm....Gotta ponder that.