Recipes for Molasses Cookies

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
When I was a kid I loved molasses cookies. I cannot seem to find a recipe for ones like the ones I remember.
They were soft, not a snap kind of cookie. Anyways, I have 2 L of molasses to use before we move so I figured now is the time to do some testing.

Anyone have a good recipe for soft molasseses cookies?

:bigsnow:

recipezaar is always my go to place for recipes. The recipes there are from everyday people like us and some chefs that share their secrets. Anyway the recipes are usually tried and rated so just simply search molasses cookies and then click the word rating in the choices above the recipe list that comes up. I tried to automatically link it but the link wasn't working properly so here is the link for recipezaar.

http://www.recipezaar.com

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
Hey thanks! I printed a recipe off of that site to try.

I really like it when sites have ratings on them. Too many times I have taken random recipes off the internet to find that after putting $5 of supplies into a dessert, the recipes was missing a vital ingredient, or it just plain didn't taste very good.

AuntJamelle

Premiere Member
Oct 22, 2007
South Bend, IN
I also have a recipe for "Peanutbutter Gingerbread Cookies" that calls for 1 cup of molasses in each batch.

They are rolled cookies.

:grin:

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
wow, those sound interesting. Bet if there's peanut butter I could convince my husband to eat them too....not that I need any help with eating them. lol

I use molasses in a different way than baking. Blackstrap molasses is high in potassium 353 mg. So if you get leg cramps (charlie horses) take a tablespoon of molasses a couple times a week, it also has quite a lot of iron in it.

I do love molasses cookies but no one else likes them so it is rare that I make them.....I would eat the whole batch myself and that is not a good thing.

FrostyShimmer

Premiere Member
Nov 4, 2007
I once read an old folk remedy was to have a Tbsp. of blackstrap molasses every day and your hair would never go grey!

zchristy

Santa's Elves
If you've ever had the ginger molasses cookies at Starbucks at Christmas-time, this the closest recipe, I've ever been able to find. They are soft and crackly and AMAZING! This recipe needs to be followed exactly to get the right results - tried this making alterations, and it’s never as good.

Ginger Molasses Cookies

2 ¼ c. flour
2 tsp. b soda
¼ tsp. salt
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 tsp. ginger
2 ½ tbsp. milk
9 ½ tbsp. Butter flavoured shortening (we use Becel margarine)
1 cup packed brown sugar
1 large egg
¼ cup molasses
1/3 cup granulated sugar for coating

Preheat over to 375 degrees.
Mix flour, baking soda, salt cinnamon, and ginger into bowl and set aside.
Beat shortening & brown sugar in a large mixing bowl, until light and fluffy (no less than 3 minutes).
Beat in the egg and molasses, and continue to mix until well combined. Pour the milk over the flour mixture and stir gently until it has absorbed some of the flour.
Gradually add the flour mix into the shortening mixture, scraping the sides of the bowl often.
Form the dough into gold-ball sized balls, and roll into white sugar. Flatten to about ¾ of an inch thick on an ungreased baking sheet.
Bake for about 12 minutes. When done, the outside edge should be just a shade darker than the inner part, and the surface should have a network of cracks revealing a chewy inside.
Keep in a sealed container to keep them chewy.