recycling center - lights, trees, extension cords

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
When I opened my tree, in the box was this information about getting rid of old lights, artificial trees, and extension cords. I always hate to throw those things in the dumpster but never know what else to do with them. So, here's an address you can send them to...the only negative is postage, but....

Recycling Center
651 S. Stratford Suite 100
Meridian, ID 83642

Here's a website:
www.polygroup.com/recycling

HouseElf

MHH Member
Premiere Member
Oct 12, 2007
Ontario, Canada
www.pinterest.com
What a great idea!

You can also re-use some of the elements yourself: When our 'old' tree broke, I took it apart and made a large wreath with the middle branches, the top I placed in a painted terra cotta pot (a mini tree!) for the kitchen, and wired the other pieces together with florist green to make a mantle garland. I often look for 'broke' artificial trees for this purpose now!

aggy

Santa's Elves
Oct 11, 2007
Baltimore, Maryland
Thanks for sharing that information missjane.

Houseelf I love the idea of using the top part of the tree as a smaller/table-top tree. I wish I had thought of that when I threw out my old tree at the end of the holidays last year.

MinnieCo

Premiere Member
Apr 10, 2008
I also made Christmas ornaments from the old fashion Christmas lights this year. I actually bought mine, but depending on what kind you have, I think it's nice to give a piece of that nostalgia to others.

DawnSu

Premiere Member
Sep 8, 2008
Missouri
I am going to recycle my tree this year... am going to make me a huge & I mean huge wreath to go on the peak of my house & I think I am going to make one to go at the end of my driveway aw well...

charscorner

Retire Member
Jan 7, 2010
recycling Christmas trees

We have an 8' artificial tree that was purchased 28 years ago and still going strong. The only problem was it's basic assembly design leaves unsightly gaps in the branches. I used to fill those gaps with real boughs available free at Lowes. Several years ago the local ReStore had a free artificial tree identical to ours but in a smaller size. I got that thing home and used wire cutters to remove all the usable branches. These branchaes are stuck into the open spaces filling in the view wonderfully. Now we have a lovely tree and an old one was spared from the dumpster it was destined for. Also we extended the life of our tree by dispelling my dissatisfaction and frustration.