Retailers Starting to Avoid Thanksgiving Openings

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

Jeff Westover

MHH Maintenance Dept.
Staff member
MHH Admin
Sep 7, 2009
Cache Valley, Utah
mymerrychristmas.com
In recent years the waters of Black Friday were significantly muddied by retailers pushing store openings to Thanksgiving Day. The move resulted in both a public and employee backlash who prefer Thanksgiving as a time for family and personal time off. Social media campaigns were launched to boycott Thanksgiving sales...

More...

sweetpumkinpye

Premiere Member
Apr 23, 2008
Canberra, Australia
This is good news. It gives the employees a day to spend with their families.

missjane

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Louisiana
My daughter is employed by the largest retail mall in our area. The management/owners of the mall are not opening until 6AM on Black Friday. No one in the mall will be allowed to open before then.

People who are going to the brick and mortar stores will go whenever they open regardless of when that will be. Believe it or not, there are still people who do not have internet access, computers, or smart phones. I even know people who do not have checking accounts, thus no debit card, and no credit card who pay cash only. They won't even deal with pre-paid cards. Those who plan to shop online will do so, anyway. I have CWs who take off CyberMonday so they can shop online. Face it...online competition will always be there, no matter what they do.

Stop pushing Thanksgiving out the door and let people celebrate with their families. It's about time America started embracing more family values.

jampss

Premiere Member
Oct 24, 2007
FL

CheeryChick

Retire Member
Aug 16, 2011
Michigan
The truth is that neither Game Stop or Staples can justify the expense of paying employees holiday rates to work hours many shoppers protest. And that’s the cold hard truth.

But it is a good trend.

But can anything be done to stop people from shopping Amazon in between the football and the pie?

It's not like GameStop and Staples don't have websites from which they can also host Thanksgiving Day promotions, similar to Amazon. Computers aren't worried about missing a holiday with their families.