Roasted Turkey Breast

Join our amazing community
Share what you know, learn something new!
register

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
Roasted Turkey Breast

1st- I went with a Jenny-O turkey breast. It seemed to be the most natural (not too many fillers and such).
It weighed about 4-5 lbs.

I preheated the oven to 350.

I lightly rubbed butter on the skin of the turkey. Then sprinkled it with salt, pepper, and garlic salt.

I cut up a lemon(slices)
and an onion (you'll use about 3/4),
2 garlic cloves ( peeled and smashed to release flavor)
2 bay leaves

I tucked all this into the "cavity" of the breast. The breast is sliced down the middle but not cut through.

I cooked the turkey for 2 hours checking it every 30 minutes. About 1/2 way through I increased the oven temp to 375. (Every oven is a little different so take that into account).

You're not supposed to cut into it until it has rested for 20 minutes but since I had never done one before I did cut into it a little. It seemed a little rare for me. So, I turned the oven off, put it back in for about another 15 minutes.

PS- If the skin is browning too much, tent it with foil.
PS- The onion, lemon, etc- we do not eat. Definetly do not eat the bay leaves.

It turned out SO GOOD! Moist and flavorful!

I did see a recipe too where you place herbs and such under the skin of the turkey before roasting.

I'm sure you can glaze it, baste it, brine it, anything you do with a regular turkey.

And, the turkey came with a packet to make gravy using the drippings.

I plan on doing this regularly- even to keep it on hand for sandwich makings.

MrsSoup

Premiere Member
Oct 13, 2007
Missouri
Thanks! I thought you cooked it in a crockpot but I guess I misunderstood. LOL

AnnieClaus

Premiere Member
Nov 6, 2007
Southern Arizona
MrsSoup- With the crockpot, I was trying to figure out a way to keep it warm for a couple of hours after it had done cooking.

BUT- I thought about cooking it in the crockpot. I remember discussing how to roast a chicken in a crockpot last year- by rolling 4 balls of tin foil, placing them in the bottom of the crockpot and then placing your chcken on top.

The only problem with the turkey breast- is it sits high. I don't know if it would fit correctly in the crock.

Annie